Daily 5 in Kindergarten - ProTeacher Community

ilvmykds

Daily 5 in Kindergarten
Old 01-28-2009, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is there anyone here who uses Daily 5 in Kindergarten? I just read the first three chapters (then had a book club talk at school) and already have a bunch of questions on what this looks like in a Kindergarten classroom. I am very excited about getting started. The next chapter we read and discuss toward the end of February. I'm sure I'll have the rest of the book read before then, but...

Any other Kindergarten teachers out there? I'd love to see pictures of your classroom and see a schedule of your literacy block.

Thanks!

ilvmykds is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsAbby

I LOVE it in Kindergarten!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach kindergarten and have used the Daily Five all year. I have adapted it to meet the needs of my students, but I am more than willing to share! My class website is:

http://www.teacherweb.com/ia/blackha...eskindergarten

I took it very slow and started by introducing Read to self and followed the 10 steps to independence. After they got to 10 min. I introduced working with words (wiki sticks, rainbow writing, clipboard with fake glasses and they copy words around the room, letter stamps, playdough, boggle jr., and bingo dabbers). I assigned them where to go. After word work I introduced listen to reading (computer, leap pad, and tape player with headphones). Then I introduced reading to someone and finally working on writing (journal). For reading to someone I focused a lot on the "3 ways to read a book". After I introduced all five I did about 2 weeks where I assigned where they went and then I introduced choice.

We covered EVERYTHING! (or so I think, ha!) ... how to sit, what it sounds and looks like, what to do if your pencil breaks, what if you have to go to the bathroom?, what if you don't know how to spell a word, what if your partner isn't doing what they are supposed to in read to self, etc.

I have a different table go book shopping each morning. I have five tables in my classroom. They are to pick five books and put their other five away.

My schedule goes like this:
10:45 - Brief lesson
10:55 - 1st daily five
11:15 - 2nd brief lesson
11:25 - 2nd daily five
11:45 - 3rd brief lesson
11:55 - 3rd daily five
12:15 - Come together and five children share something they did during daily five

12:25 - Put things away and go to lunch

If you have any questions let me know! I will help any way I can! It is very exciting to see their growth with the daily five! I have 21 students and only 30 % were proficent at the beginning of the year and currently 87% are proficent.
MrsAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
jboyd

jboyd

kindergarten teacher
Old 07-13-2009, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does the Daily 5 replace your centers?
KinderConnie

KinderConnie

5K Teacher
Old 08-01-2009, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How on earth do you fit all of the "other stuff" in when you spend over an hour and a half on this each day? That is the dilemma I am having with getting started in my 5K room.

Gengirl

Bathroom Breaks & Drinks during Daily Five
Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi, I teach first grade and really appreciated your post on how you set up for Daily Five in your kindergarten classroom. In The Daily Five book it sounds like bathroom breaks are really minimized, but they don't say how or when. I sent them an email, but got a form letter. On Monday, we are starting Read to Self and I wish I knew what bathroom and drink policy the sisters use in primary grades. How are you handling those two items in your classroom? Thank you for your thoughts!

Gengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
asherwood

asherwood

Kindergarten Teacher
Old 11-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would love to know more about the Daily 5 in your classroom! If you could e-mail more ideas on how to get started now in the beginning of the year that would be great! My e-mail is alicia.sherwood@wbschools.us I have only read 3 chapters of the book but I am very interested in it. Thanks! Alicia Sherwood
Wendty

Wendty

Kindergarten Teacher
Old 05-27-2010, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would also love any and all information on how to start the daily five in my 1/2 day kindergarten class. I am very excited to start-but would love some additional guidance!

Thanks- my email is Princesswmk@Lycos.com

mauied10

Old 06-28-2010, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I see that there is a Daily 5 Kindergarten video available...read the original and the Cafe ....loved them BUT am wondering how it works in K too...is the book for Kindergarten out?
mauied10 is offline   Reply With Quote

mauied10

Old 06-28-2010, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I see that there is a Daily 5 Kindergarten video available...read the original and the Cafe ....loved them BUT am wondering how it works in K too...is the book for Kindergarten out?
mauied10 is offline   Reply With Quote
jjgodwin

jjgodwin

Daily 5
Old 08-13-2010, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Good morning, I used daily 5 in my first grade classroom last year and loved loved loved it! I am wondering what I need to keep in mind while administering it with my kindergarten class. I could not get your website to work and wondering if it changed. Any advice you can give me would be awesome! Thanks so much.

Very nervous about K. Glad to hear you used daily 5 and it worked.

JEssica

teacher buzz

Just beginning Daily 5
Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I learned of the Daily 5 at a workshop and then ran into someone else who used it in her kindergarten classroom. I just started trying to implement it this week (2 days). We were able to practice Read to Self today for about 2 minutes. I have one who is ADHD and another who is MR. However, my MR student LOVES books! So...he actually did pretty good.

I really loved the post about all of the things you do in your classroom in the above post. I think word work would be better to go next so I am glad I found this discussion board. I will say that it is hard work at the beginning. I am having trouble with their attention spans as we discuss how it works, practice, etc. I am having to break those discussions up as well, so we may not be able to do quite as much as it shows each day in the book. I decided this is something important, so I don't push it. I want to make sure I have their attention and they are really getting it.
teacher buzz is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher buzz

Word Work with the Daily 5
Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Mrs.Abby

I am interested in knowing more about how you introduce the word work. I would think each one of those choices (wikki stix, boggle, play-doh, etc.) would need its own individual instruction about how to use it. Do you give them all of those choices at once? I w.as unable to follow the link to your website.

Thank you.
My email is sroberts@leedey.k12.ok.us
teacher buzz is offline   Reply With Quote

queenmom09

Old 09-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I make it very clear that no one is to get up during daily 5 unless it's an emergency...blood, barf, broken bones, or if they are doing the "potty dance"...I have many other times during the day that they are able to use the bathroom. I will let them go between rotations, but only one at a time and they better really have to go...if you set the tone right away, they really are pretty good at following what you set up...there are NO drinks during daily 5....

(they love when I talk about the "potty dance"...they giggle and have been really good about it)
queenmom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
kaylers28

kaylers28

Kindergarten Teacher
Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I just started using the Daily Five this year with my kindergarten group and I have had TONS of success. Model, model, model. Have the tougher students show the group how NOT to do it and then have them do it the right way. Go over the expectations every day. Remember to explain to the kiddos WHY they are engaging in the Daily Five. I will tell you, that the modeling and going over of the expectations every day gets tedious as an adult but the kiddos thrive off of it. The repetition of expectations allows them all to be successful. Once the kids are independently reading during Read to Self, the rest of the launches of the other activities go much more smoothly. Don't be afraid of Read to Someone either...I was until I saw the sheer joy and excitement the kinderbeans got out of reading to a buddy.
I love love love to see the students working independently and I have never had such an engaged group during my literacy time! I would not go back to how I ran lit. centers before.

tadamson

Kindergarten Daily 5 group in PT
Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

There is an entire group devoted to the Daily 5 in Kindergarten right here in PT. It is a wealth of information and by the way, Daily 5 works wonderfully in K!!! I started using it in September and my kids do 2 rounds of 20 minutes everyday - they are completely independent and now that it is assessment time, they aren't bothering me one bit while I assess! It's amazing!!
tadamson is offline   Reply With Quote
kneal

kneal

Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am interested in learning more about Daily Five for kindergarten. Does anyone have a website that we can look at the describes how it works in the classroom? How kind of time schedule do you start with and what type of a time schedule do you typically end with in one school year?
MADDY805

MADDY805

Ell - teacher
Old 05-31-2011, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thank you so very much for sharing... This is awesome... I am looking forward to co-teaching next upcoming new year with kinder and the teacher is freaking out!!!!! I hope if i can (have any questions) reach you? Thank you again
madeline morales
SusanCole

SusanCole

Kindergarten Teacher
Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi--I'm just learning about the daily 5 -- what is your website? Thanks so much for sharing!
Susan
skuhn

skuhn

kteacher
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am currently reading the daily 5 and teach Kindergarten as well. I am totally pumped to use the daily 5 but am not sure how exactly to start. I have a large class and full day K and I do not know anyone close to me who is using it so I am going out on a limb to try (love the adventure!!) I could not get onto your website but would love more info. you can e-mail me at stephkuhn#hotmail.com

tthilleg

Daily 5 in kindergarten
Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Hi,
This will be my first year implementing the Daily 5 in kindergarten and I am very excited to start. When do you introduce it, August-September?? Do you still use it?
Thank you for your time,
Tiffany
tthilleg is offline   Reply With Quote
KDGSheri

KDGSheri

Kindergarten Daily 5 Want to Be :o)
Old 08-19-2011, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I a feeling very overwhelmed with school this year for some reason? It's my 11th year teaching kindergarten and we need to implement the 90 minute uninterrupted reading block in my classroom. Someone mentioned the daily 5 program but I'm not exactly sure what it is. Can I do it now at the first week of school? The kids seem low, not wanting to listen and I have 24 of them. Is it possible to implement this program now? I would be forever grateful it someone can tell me how to begin it on Monday and what I exactly need to do to begin this program. I don't know what word works are, or any of the things that go along with it. I would really appreciate if anyone out there can help me to learn to set it up and what to do before I receive my books. I am very much looking forward to getting this to work in my classroom as soon as possible. Any suggestions will help me a ton. Thanks Sheri - Kdg. I really cannot wait to start this program in my class. Please help in any way you can. Thanks, Sheri.......Love my Kdg. ))))) Can you breakkdown exactly how i can set this up and examples of what i do. All of your help would be so appreciated. Thanki you so much ) .
sherikdg.

sherikdg.

Trying ti implement the daily 6
Old 08-19-2011, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Kindergarten Daily 5 Want to Be )
08-19-2011, 08:52 PM

I a feeling very overwhelmed with school this year for some reason? It's my 11th year teaching kindergarten and we need to implement the 90 minute uninterrupted reading block in my classroom. Someone mentioned the daily 5 program but I'm not exactly sure what it is. Can I do it now at the first week of school? The kids seem low, not wanting to listen and I have 24 of them. Is it possible to implement this program now? I would be forever grateful it someone can tell me how to begin it on Monday and what I exactly need to do to begin this program. I don't know what word works are, or any of the things that go along with it. I would really appreciate if anyone out there can help me to learn to set it up and what to do before I receive my books. I am very much looking forward to getting this to work in my classroom as soon as possible. Any suggestions will help me a ton. Thanks Sheri - Kdg. I really cannot wait to start this program in my class. Please help in any way you can. Thanks, Sheri.......Love my Kdg. ))))) Can you breakkdown exactly how i can set this up and examples of what i do. All of your help would be so appreciated. Thanki you so much ) .
McHKTeacher
Old 08-29-2011, 03:54 PM
This message has been deleted by McHKTeacher.

kmclampitt

Dead Link
Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Good Evening
I tried using your link, however it does not work What school or blog name? I can always try and Google it.

Karri
kmclampitt is offline   Reply With Quote

angyl421

Working on Writing?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Hello! I've been implementing Daily 5 this year and am LOVING it! I just need a few ideas of what kiddos can do during Working on Writing. Obviously, at this point in the year they are not writing sentences independently. What can they do? I have writing friends names, writing days of the week, sight words, colors words, picture dictionaries, etc. I know about write the room, but I need more!
angyl421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rebekah_k4

Old 12-18-2011, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I am taking over a kindergarten class in January. Currently they use traditional centers. The 1st grade class I interned in used the daily 5 and I love it. The principal at my new school is a believer in the daily 5 and would like me to implement into my classroom. Should I start out just as you would in the beginning of the year or since the class is already used to traditional centers just slowly transition into it?
Rebekah_k4 is offline   Reply With Quote

turgeonk

Play?
Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I use the daily 5 in a modified way, but I am curious for those of you who use it in kindergarten, how do you find time to let your students play?
How do make sure that they have dramatic play experiences, blocks, sensory??
I'd love to know what your schedule looks like.
Thanks!
Kim
turgeonk is offline   Reply With Quote
K.Ison

K.Ison

kindergarten teacher
Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Do you have any suggestions for a book to use for teaching the lesson "Three Ways to read a book" to kindergarten kids?

Thanks
KimMc

KimMc

Me too :)
Old 08-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

This will be my first year teaching kindergarten and I want to use The Daily 5 format but all the K books I've been reading stress the importance of dramatic play, blocks, puzzles, etc. I would like to know when others incorporate these activities. Thanks