NWEA testing - ProTeacher Community

dabears

NWEA testing
Old 02-02-2009, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wondering how many schools are using the NWEA test in grades below second. I am a second grade teacher, we administer the test in the spring to our second graders. However, my daughter is in kindergarten (in another system) and they are giving them this test 3 times as kdg. students. I don't like the pressure my students place on themselves at 7 & 8, let alone my 5 year old. She now hates tests! I am just wondering the value of this. Any help?

dabears is offline   Reply With Quote

ICareTher4Ido

Old 02-02-2009, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our school also tested kindergarteners. A fourth does not know how to use the mouse on the computer. Another fourth is just amazed with the pictures and wondering how to move the cars across the monitor as if they are in a race or thinking how cool it is to circle all the pictures on the screen until a teacher says please chose an answer. I do not think it is valid. It might work if only 3-4 took it at a time. Then the teachers can really prep them and monitor them as they work on the computer. I believe it is also taking the time to teach them how to use the mouse and how to choose one answer or even how to move the arrow to the correct spot. Many were confused and unsure of what to do so they were choosing anything. It was definitely a learning experience. This was new to all of us. I know next time what we need to do differently.
ICareTher4Ido is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMissSEI

What is this?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What is NWEA testing? I haven't heard of it.

My 1st graders are tested because they are English Language Learners. They take the MEPA - Massachusetts English Proficiency Assessment. I hate giving it to them. But I try to make it fun so I think I feel more stressed about it than they do.
LilMissSEI is offline   Reply With Quote

when'srecess

Our K-1 take NWEA aka MAPS tests
Old 02-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the PP, the K-1 scores are not really valid... that is, they don't accurately reflect the child's abilities/understanding. However, they do help build an understanding of using the computer to take a test... that way, hopefully, when they get to 2nd+ the computer will not be as much as a novalty (sp?) and give more valid scores. We don't really prep our kids. We only remind them that they need to try their best and take their time.
when'srecess is offline   Reply With Quote

mercurylady

i'm in 2nd gr.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm in 2nd grade and we only test 2nd grade up. They are tested 3x a year. Sometimes it's not encouraging at all.

mercurylady is offline   Reply With Quote

Ria

K-2
Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our students take the test twice a year, K-12. Our second graders took the NWEA test that was like the older kids take (all reading, very few manipulative problems, if any) up until this year. It was horrible!!! I watched the kids take the test. I knew they couldn't read very many problems, so I also knew they couldn't answer very many. This year we started taking the test designed for the younger children. They used headphones to listen to the test being read. They could hear the question again if they needed to. This is the first year the kindergarten and first grade students took the test They went to the computer lab a number of times to practice using the computers taking some other test (I don't know what one) and I think that helped. I am getting to the point where I think we are giving our kids way too many tests. I find it quite interesting to listen to how some people "interpret" the results.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote

sallybo

Old 02-03-2009, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We started using it this year as part of RtI in 1st and 2nd gr and special education-both learning support and gifted. Our K students are taking for the first time this month. It is thought that we can use the skill performance report to help target instruction. We are also trying the checklists as a way to progress monitor. Personally, I am not sure they are good for that purpose. We are learning how to use the data as we go.
sallybo is offline   Reply With Quote

ee

k-1 tests
Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

using the primary test which is read to the student as they listen on headphones. Kgn students take their first test in January and again in May. First grade tests using the primary version in fall and the regular MAP test in spring. We know the scores in spring of first grade aren't great, but we do it so the kids are prepared to have more valid tests in the fall of gr 2.
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

hummingbird71

NWEA testing
Old 02-08-2009, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our school k-12 only tests the 2nd graders at the end of the year, and the rest of the school gets tested in the fall, and again in the spring.

3 times a years sounds like over-kill, and testing under 2nd grade is not going to be very valid testing. Do the results tell you anything at this age?
hummingbird71 is offline   Reply With Quote