Homebound "teacher?" - ProTeacher Community

Essie20

Homebound "teacher?"
Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student that will be on homebound for at least the next two months. The mother says that she is way too sick to come to school (which has been proven to be false), but that's another story! This little girl is a kinder and has done well this year.

I thought that I would be asked to be her homebound teacher. I went ahead and got lessons together just in case. I don't really have time to teach homebound, but I want what is best for her and I don't want her to be behind so I decided that I would do it if needed. Well, today I got an email from someone else that will be her homebound teacher. She wanted to know what lessons to do with the little girl, wanted me to pull books, etc. Basically, she wants ME to do all the work but she will spend three hours a week teaching the lessons and getting paid for all of it.

I want to do what is best for the child. I am a little irritated that I am doing all the lessons (which take a long time to type up, etc.) and this woman is really doing nothing. Additionally, I am not working with the little girl to continue assessment to base my lessons on. I know that the teacher will need to know what skills we are working on, but would you continue to send full lessons? Thanks for your input!

Essie20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

janeypoo
Suspended

Old 02-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would do it, but I am a total push-over/softy.Plus I believe in the law of returns, and your help will be rewarded in some way in the future.But lets see what someone less "Pheobe" would say,lol.
janeypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

JLo

I would...
Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

say I am not certified for "homebound" school....
JLo is offline   Reply With Quote

yogi

Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Uh, no. Give her an outline of skills that will be covered in class. Offer to meet with her when she starts. Do not spend a bunch of time doing her lesson plans.
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would not send full lessons. I would invite her to meet with me to go over what the class has worked on and where the child is. I would then have her put it together herself. if she worked in the district I work in she would know the expected pacing and curriculum and would only need to know if I was on pace or not.

EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

give her a copy of the benchmarks you are going to be working on.

who picked this teacher? I would definitely be kind in telling her what you are going to work on, but getting the work together is half the work of teaching. so if she's getting full pay, then....
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

my experience
Old 02-06-2009, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My son receives homebound services. He has received them all year and will probably continue until June this year. The district could only find homebound teachers for two of his subjects so he takes most of them online.

The teacher who comes to our house teaches English at his school so she just follows her own plans for that subject. For the the other course she teaches, she does ask the teacher of the other course for her plans. The teacher doesn't make up anything special -- she just gives her the copy of the plans she is already using.
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-06-2009, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have taught homebound both full time and part time. That is essentially how it works most of the time.

Most of my students were short-term homebound, anywhere from one week to a few months. In those cases, they were still part of the teacher's roster and the teacher was responsible for giving me the materials. I taught them, graded them (if the teacher chose), and returned them to the school. The visits were twice a week. I visited the teacher 1-2 times per week as well.

Most teachers prefer sending the lessons because eventually the student returns to class, and they want there to be as little adjustment time as possible on return. If the child has been getting different lessons or topics the whole time, then it's confusing.

For the long-term students, I became the primary teacher. The child was removed from the teacher's roster, I became the teacher of record. I planned and taught all materials, did all the grading, etc.

However, even in those cases the teacher HAD to be involved to some degree. There are state-mandated curriculum requirements for one. Some schools have curriculum maps. Another issue was materials. The homebound teacher is employed by the district, and works with ALL schools. I had students from grade 1 to grade 12. It was not possible to have access to ALL of the materials for ALL schools for ALL subjects. The teacher had to help.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Essie20

I guess...
Old 02-06-2009, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'll just get all the materials together. It just stinks that she is getting paid and I will do most of the work. I don't want the student to get behind, even if she isn't in my class anymore this year.
Essie20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I had to do homebound lessons
Old 02-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

for a child on a long term suspension for bad behavior. The child was a second grader doing second grade work. Rather than bug the teacher everyday or expect her to go out of her way for lessons, she put a folder on the child's desk and every handout, worksheet or workbook page was slipped into the folder. Once in while she would write a small note about what part of the book they were referring to--but not always. She did not include her lesson plans, etc.

At the end of the day, the folder was put into the child's mailbox. It was my responsibility to go by and get it. I had the freedom to present the necessary lessons and present the homework anyway I wanted. I collected the work, graded it and wrote a note at the top estimating how much assistance I provided during the lesson. She then recorded the grades and had a general idea of where we were. When the child returned to school, there was only a small gap between what we completed and what the rest of the class was doing. It really never mattered that I was a day or two behind the rest of them.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

My experience
Old 02-06-2009, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Last year I had a student on homebound for most of the year.

The district would pay for a 1 hour meeting each SEMESTER for the teacher and I to meet. I gave her copies of the standards, copies of her IEP and text books. Each week she stopped by school to pick up a packet of EVERYTHING we'd sent home/done in class that week. Sometimes she graded it and returned it to me, other times not. At the end of the quarter, she gave her grades.
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote