Help

Center Activities

Grading Centers?

>

stringersks

Grading Centers?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 4th grade. I do not successfully use centers in my room. I often try, but I have trouble keeping up with which student actually went to the center, which ones completed it, etc. Do you give students a grade on their work (each center a seperate grade or all centers equal on grade), a participation grade (if a student attempts each center then they get a 100) or no grade at all? How many center do you have at one time and how often do you use them?

I was thinking have 5 centers and on Monday the 1st row of students would do center 1 the 2nd row do center 2 the 3rd row do center 3 etc. and then the next day you could rotate centers? I think this would take to long each day. If there were 5 students per row. HELP I SO CONFUSED!

stringersks is offline   Reply With Quote

RamonaQ

Organizing Centers
Old 07-26-2006, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here's what I've done with my first graders:
I have 5 centers as well--listening, reading, ABC, computer, and writing. I write the name of each center on a library pocket card and stick the cards in a row onto a sheet of posterboard. I put each student's name on a popsicle stick using the color that represents the reading group they belong to. The students go to centers with their reading group, so one reading group is at centers, another does independent work at their desks, and another is with me doing guided reading. I place each student's popsicle stick into a center pocket. I rotate their sticks in order everyday so that by the end of the week every student has gone to each center. I do not grade the work they do at the centers, but once every two weeks I tell the students to pull out what they think is their best work from their centers folder and have them share it with the other students at their table and turn it in to me.
RamonaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. T.

Centers
Old 07-27-2006, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach kindergarten so it may be alittle different. But, in the morning I have Reading centers. I choose 4 centers for the students to complete during the week. These centers can be completed independently. (4 centers = 4 days plus one day of guided reading). The students select which center they go to. I use a grade book...I have the student's names and the list of centers. I ask the student which center they would like to do, and then I mark it off. This helps me keep track. By Friday, each student has completed all four centers, and participated one day in guided reading. These centers are for approx. 30min. (When they complete their center, they go to free centers..reading, writing(post office), write the room)
In the afternoon, I do group centers. These can incorporate any subject area. I rotate the centers by table. I usually do four centers with a free day on Friday. After the center is complete, they may go to Reading, writing, block, puzzle, or other areas.

This method is easiest for me in Kindergarten. I know a second grade teacher, has the students sign in to a center...and usually incorporates some written activity to go along with the center as proof of completion.
Mrs. T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Mayme714

Old 07-27-2006, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi- I responded to your other post, and just saw this one. As far as grading centers, it depends... If I give a scholastic reading story with comprehension quesions. I might grade that. Some are just completion grades. I monitor who turns in what through using a clipboard. For your own sanity, have the students turn in their work at the end of their center time. It makes management a lot easier. At the end of each day I simply check it off, if they don't have it I put a 0, if they turn it in the next day I put a check over the 0 and that shows me it's late. We do a Fun Friday with our grade, so if the students have 3 or more late assignments they don't go. If you send me your email address, I can send you the template I use. I don't know how to attach something to this.

I do centers from Mon.-Thurs, therefore, I only have 4 centers a week. Each day a different group goes to each center. At the beginning of the rotation, I call out who goes where, I color code the groups, so I just say blue group go to guided reading, red group to book project center and green goes to centers, Joe and Sue to center 1, bill and bob to center 2. etc. (this only takes a minute).

oh one more thing, our rotations usually last 30 minutes.....

amy
Mayme714 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

3rd grade
Old 07-27-2006, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I only do centers once a week. I do them on my gifted day (all my gifted kids are pulled for the entire day), because I can't introduce new material that day anyway, so it gives me a chance to reinforce with my reg. ed. kids. I let them choose their groups of 2-3, and they rotate to 6 centers every 25 min. One of the centers is tutoring, where I help that group with whatever they're struggling with. That's my favorite part of it! It's the rare time I get uninterrupted one-on-one time (or one-on-three). I change my centers every week somewhat, but they're always based on what we're studying at the time. I don't grade them. They don't really know that - because we spent the last 15 min. of the day going over everything together.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

centers
Old 08-07-2006, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach 1st grade and I use this system. Each center tub has a folder. Kids put completed work in the folder. Everyday I pull the work from each folder and correct it. I have a grade sheet that I use for centers. Each week, I decide which centers from which I'll take a grade. I do not give a grade for each center but I do keep track of which ones the kids completed. For the centers I'm not keeping a number grade for I just put a check in the box for the centers completed. I use a check + for kids who put in extra effort; check means work was completed correctly; check - for work was incorrect.

I'm attaching my system of guided reading/center time. I teach guided reading/centers for about hour and a half a day. I have 3 guided reading groups. My poster is set up for 4 days of guided reading group/center time. On the fifth day, I would provide about 1/2 hour for students to finish any centers not completed. To sum it up, each child receives 1/2 guided reading lesson and completes 2 centers.

The daily planner could be used as a way for fourth graders to keep track of the centers they have completed. All they need to do is color in the puzzle piece for that center. If they didn't finish, they could put in a ND (not done) so they know to go back to it if they have time.

To read the Centers' poster: Each guided reading group has their own poster. The child finds the pocket with their name in it. If I am teaching the first reading group, they look at the first sticker on the pocket. The second reading group, look at the second sticker. Etc. I do not allow my children to switch to the next center until I switch reading groups. I train the early on that there is always something more that they can do to WOW me. If they are truly done with a center, they can either work on a previous center not completed or read a book. If you plan your centers correctly, the activities will be very open ended- not cookie cutter activities where everyone's work looks the same.

Rotate the cards clockwise at the start of each day.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Amy B.

Amy B.

Grading Centers Template
Old 08-25-2006, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Amy thank you for your comments on centers. Could you send me the template that you use in grading your centers?Thank you so very much. my e-mail address is abrasher@jefcoed.com Again, I appreciate your help. Amy
Clovis Teach

Clovis Teach

Clovis Teacher
Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

HI!

That sounds awesome, can I get the template you use also? My email address is mray@clovis-schools.org

Thanks!

Michelle