first week of school in 1st grade - ProTeacher Community

luvkidz

first week of school in 1st grade
Old 07-27-2006, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I am starting my first week of school very soon! I am a first grade teacher and want some ideas on getting started. I need some activities and lesson plan ideas for the first week of school! Please help!

luvkidz is offline   Reply With Quote

mrshvo

mrshvo

Old 07-27-2006, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have my lessons ready, but here are some things I did last year:

*played syllable games-did everyone's names in the classroom
*we have a writing program, which the kids were introduced to in Kindergarten, and I had them do circle maps on themselves, and then a circle map on somebody
*time capsuls- a paper and a paper-towel role. Kids would answer whatever was on it and draw whatever they were supposed to, and then role it up, shove it in the tube, and we didn't open them until the last day of school
*lots of practicing routines-and play acting what you shouldn't do, and then what you should do
*of course some curriculum stuff
* getting them used to each center activity so that by the time guided reading time was started, they would be acquainted to it.

If I find old lesson plans I will write some more.

Nana6

Old 07-27-2006, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use the Kevin Henkes books for teaching appropriate behavior and discussing some of the fears first graders might have. For example, for names you can use Chrysanthemum and do all kinds of name activities. I add each child's name to the word wall and use them as beginning connections for phonics. This word cheese has the same beginning sound as Charles. etc. You can count letters in names and graph the results, How many names have five letters... Or make name banners and have children decorate their banners with things they like favorite animal, food, sport etc.
Which names have one part/syllable or two parts....Then Wemberly is a good one for discussing things you might have been worried about. Shelia the Brave is fun. You can find just about every kind of problem a young child might have. My children love these characters- Wendell, Owen, we love them all. You'll spend a lot of time doing things together and practicing procedures and some time doing individual evaluations such as alphabet reconginition, sound letter correspondence, sight words. The time will fly. If I can help you with anything else let me know.
Diana
Nana6 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvkidz

icebreakers!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks! to all of your suggestions! Kevin Henkes seems like a great theme to use with First Grade! I will think of some ideas to tie in with the books. Do you know of any icebreaker activities I can use for the first day of school?
luvkidz is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

playdoh
Old 07-28-2006, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Dear luvkidz,

I read on here some time ago from other posters that they leave a lump of Play-Doh on each child's desk for the first day of school. I think this is a wonderful way to keep nervous little ones occupied as you greet each child. Thought maybe you could use it. You could even use the Play-Doh for some easy review and simple informal assessing. Boys and girls, see if you can use your PlayDoh to make a number 12, 21, etc. Use your Play-doh to put a triangle in the upper right corner of your desk, a rectangle in the lower left corner of your desk, etc.
I also think that first week is a wonderful time to do some graphing to get to know each other. Graph eye colors, favorite foods, number of letters in your name, etc. In reading, I liked to keep it whole group for the first week or so, reviewing all the letters, digraphs, and basic sight words. Bingo games work great for those, as do simple homemade board games or tic-tac-toe boards. I used to teach first grade- what a rewarding year it is! Have a wonderful first week!

Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Hylin

Old 07-29-2006, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

During the first week of school [and actually probably the first 3-6 weeks] I will spend lots of time establishing classroom and school culture with my students. We use Responsive Classroom where I teach so I'll be getting students familar with the components of that. We'll do lots of guided discovery, and practice routines. We'll play lots of games, and practice morning meeting. I'll probably do quite a few read alouds, and getting to know each other activities. My school provides us with a pacing guide that has lots of great ideas for the first few weeks of school. If you still need more things, drop me an email at hlkarshner@yahoo.com and we can swap ideas
Hylin is offline   Reply With Quote