Help

ARCHIVE

how do you teach poetry...

>

jamielynne

how do you teach poetry...
Old 07-27-2006, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i was just wondering how people teach poetry in the curriculum during the school year? do you introduce in large group and then have students do an activity with poem during centers. i teach core knowledge and we have 4 poems to teach each month? any good ideas?

jamielynne is offline   Reply With Quote

bamagirl

Poetry...
Old 07-27-2006, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't teach poetry now, but here's what I did in the past with my 5th graders. We usually did a small unit at the end of the year. I would introduce a new type of poem each day (cinquain, limerick, etc.). I would read some examples, and we would write one together as a class. Then, the kids had class time to write their own poem. They also had to illustrate it. At the end of our unit, the students put all their poems together into a book. It made a really nice keepsake.

bamagirl
bamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

SC

Great minds think alike!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did pretty much the same thing that bamagirl did. The only difference is that for their book, I let them choose a certain number of poems to include. That way, if they didn't like one of the poems they did, they could choose the best ones.

Here's a link to a poetry book that has instructions, rubrics, peer reviews, etc. already written out. I modified it some for my class, but it is a helpful resource.
http://www.redmond.k12.or.us/patrick...oetrydir05.pdf
SC is offline   Reply With Quote

louise

Great resource!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for sharing this great resource!
louise is offline   Reply With Quote

mgf91280

Mother's Day Poetry book
Old 07-28-2006, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach poetry at the end of the year, after all of the state testing is over. Since this falls near Mother's Day (and I was out of gift/craft ideas for my students' moms), I decided to incorporate the poetry unit into a gift.

We studied cinquain, haiku, alliterative poems (and one more that I can't remember at this moment!) I did original examples of each poem on chart paper and color coded any key points in the poem. Then kids did a rough draft of their own type of each poem on notebook paper. I cut pieces of watercolor paper to roughly 3X5 inches, kids watercolored the 4 pieces they received, and then used a felt tipped marker to write the final poems on their pretty pages. I bound the books using jute. They turned out great!

mgf91280 is offline   Reply With Quote

lynn

Core Knowledge Too
Old 07-28-2006, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

jamielynne I teach at a school who is implementing Core Knowledge this year. I am planning on teaching a lot of my grammar skills using the poems. I plan on doing a poem a week (I will need to add in some poems from our reading series) and using it to introduce, reinforce, and review parts of speech, punctuation, etc. Our reading series is very dry when it come to grammar and while we have worksheets the activites are very boring. I was looking at including spelling as well, but I have a new teammate this year and I think the idea overwhelmed her so I will hold off on that for the year.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

core knowledge
Old 07-28-2006, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been teaching a lonnggggg time and I know buzz words change like intergrated learning, holistic reading etc. So what is the plain and simple explanation of Core knowledge? I am sure I know what it is I just don't know this buzz word. I like to stay on top of the expanded voc of education.
Thanks
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

lynn

Core Knowledge
Old 07-29-2006, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

"The "Core Knowledge" movement is an educational reform based on the premise that a grade-by-grade core of common learning is necessary to ensure a sound and fair elementary education. The movement was started by Professor E. D. Hirsch, Jr., author of Cultural Literacy and The Schools We Need, and is based on a large body of research in cognitive psychology, as well as a careful examination of several of the world's fairest and most effective school systems. Professor Hirsch has argued that, for the sake of academic excellence, greater fairness, and higher literacy, early schooling should provide a solid, specific, shared core curriculum in order to help children establish strong foundations of knowledge. After wide consultation, the content of this core curriculum has been outlined in two books the Core Knowledge Preschool Sequence and the Core Knowledge Sequence, K8 that state explicitly what students should learn at each grade level. Currently, hundreds of schools and thousands of dedicated educators are participating in this school reform movement throughout the United States. " This is from the website, check it out. www.coreknowledge.org/

We must align our state standards and the Core knowledge standards since we are responsible for both. I find the curriculum to be exciting and challenging. The kids especially love the science and social studies and parents are amazed at what their children are learing.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
kareem

kareem

kid star
Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

hey my name is kareem i am doing my homework and i pick up this.this is nice iam 11 years old my email is bmwg@optonline.com email me plz.