Help

ARCHIVE

How do you teach reading?

>

ans6

How do you teach reading?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a challenging group this year and have really been re-thinking my teaching methods. I was wondering how some of you teach reading. Do you choose the skill and then find books/stories to go with that skill? OR Do you choose the book/ story and then teach a skill that goes with it? Thanks!

ans6 is offline   Reply With Quote

mvamy

Reading Workshop
Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

has been the best thing I've done in 18 years. We teach the reading strategy (for example- questioning) by sharing books first and modeling our own questions. Then the kids go off to their book bins and read the books they've got that are at their just right level. They post-it their own questions as they go. Depending on your grade level, you can do this in guided reading too. We continue to model the strategy throughout the next couple of weeks and gradually let the kids take responsibility for using it themselves.

Debbie Miller's book Reading with Meaning is fantastic. It's tells how to run a great reading workshop with kids at all different levels.
It also suggests anchor books that go with the reading strategies.
http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Meanin.../dp/1571103074
mvamy is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

Old 02-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am having the same problems as the OP. I have a class that is very low in reading and I don't think I am taking advantage of my reading time. Reading workshop sounds interesting but I am wondering how I would adapt it to 5th grade. We almost only read chapter books (on their level) so they would not be reading a different book each day. Are there any 5th grade teachers that have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!
newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Whether or not
Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

they're in a different book every day doesn't matter. What matters is that the book is self-selected and is at the proper level.

To the OP--in RW, you teach kids the skills they NEED, when they need them. So I'm not going to choose prediction, for example, just to shove it in there. We're going to talk about prediction at the time we naturally would make a prediction. Same thing with, say, words in context. We don't choose a book for that aspect, but when it comes up, we capitalize on the "teachable moment."
maryteach is online now   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

skills
Old 02-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use readers workshop, and I use our curriculum map to plan my reading mini lesson skills (cause/effect, compare/contrast). I first plan the skill I want to teach and find a book or other lesson on that will help teach the skill. I focus on more specific needs during my reading groups.

ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote

mvamy

5th grade reader's workshop
Old 02-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Reader's workshop works for any grade level. The anchor text that you use whole class might be a picture book about another curriculum area, (for example, immigration) but the books the kids are reading are their chapter books in their book bins. I teach 2nd and some kids are reading at a 5th grade level and some are reading Frog and Toad. No matter what they are reading, they can all apply the reading strategies. That's what I like so much about reading workshop. You can have a huge range.
When I taught 5th I also had partners read chapter books together and we had mini conferences together to discuss the books.
Hope this helps. A
mvamy is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2read10

Bruce Larkin
Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Bruce Larkin's books always keep my young readers excited. his use of humor keeps my kiddos on their toes.
teach2read10 is offline   Reply With Quote