Help

ARCHIVE

Travel Around the world theme

>

aisling311

Travel Around the world theme
Old 07-28-2006, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach a 2/3 combo, this is my first year trying a year long theme. We are going to travel around the world and visit 8-9 different countries. I have some ideas of things that I want the kids to do, but I am trying to figure out some more...I know that I want them to create maps, flags, travel brochures, menus, listen to music and look at specific art, create travel logs and choose one thing in each country to find more info about...Does anyone else have any other ideas? What else could the kids do? I am going to start with passports...but beyond this I just need some more ideas to feel settled....

aisling311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jalon

books to use
Old 07-28-2006, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Two books immediately come to mind...Letters from Felix and Felix and the Flying Suitcase Adventure . (Annette Langen). Cute books about the adventures of a stuffed rabbit. You could map his adventures on a world map, etc. Have fun with your theme!
Jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

azfarkas

World Tour
Old 07-28-2006, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

During my student teaching I did a world tour with the students during the last two weeks of school. Obviously because we only did it in two weeks you would have to expand on everything we did but this may give you some ideas!

On the first day of the tour we set the classroom up like an airplane (put the chairs in rows, taped up pictures of clouds-as windows, we left an aisle in the middle and put a tv at the end, we showed a movie and I pushed a cart up and down the aisle handing out popcorn).

We created a US Embassy and when ever a child lost thier passport, they would have to go to the Embassy to get a new one made. We made passports on photopaper and inserted each child's picture so it looked very nice, if they lost it, we drew one on an index card...so the kids held onto thier passports tight!

In the hallway I created a large map of the world (I found a pic that I liked on the internet, I printed it, put it on an overhead sheet, put it on the overhead and pulled the overhead back until the picture was the size I wanted, I then traced it onto large paper). Whenever we traveled to a new place we marked it on our map.

The students made suitcases out of construction paper and I cut index cards into small strips and for each country we made a label to look like stickers on the suitcases. The kids loved this! In thier suitcases they carried a travel packet (containing a smaller version of the map in the hall-they individually marked each place we went and connect the places at the end),they each had a travel journal-at the end of each day they wrote about the place they had traveled to.

In each country that we went to we read a book, search on the internet and had guest speakers to learn all about the place where we were. We also had one type of food from that place and we did some sort of craft. In Japan we did tangrams-the kids LOVED this. I have a book that goes along with it somewhere..if I find it I will post it for you. We did woven mats in Mexico, rainsticks in Africa, mini pizza in Italy, rice in China, etc.

This is all I can think of for now, I will look through what I have at home and see if there is anything else I find you may like! Hope this helps
azfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote

Gloria

HOw about
Old 07-28-2006, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

learning simple things in their languages

hello
good bye
thank you
count 1-10
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

arteacher6th

Books and decorations
Old 07-31-2006, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You could definately do a unit on fairytales from each country you visit. I did multicultural fairytales even in 6th grade. Kids do not realize that other countries have stories that they are familiar with or that Disney did not create all fairytales! You could tie that into researching the country, flag, language and daily life. What the schools are like and so on. There is a Cinderella for just about every culture and country.

You could also decorate areas of your classroom for different countries. You could have stations with pictures, maps, flags, music, and ask staff and parents even students if they have something they would like to display for the unit.
One year the social studies class did this and we found out alot of staff and kids had great items from other countries- like money, dolls, clothing, postcards, dishes, and trinkets.

You could also invite speakers to come in and talk to the students or give demonstrations. If you live near a college they usually have foreign students who would love to share their culture with the kids. I even had a young lady come in and share a power point and pass around purses, money, clothing, music Cds, and dishes from I believe Korea. The students were 7th and 8th graders and they were still delighted. They ask about going out with friends, phones and all that but younger students would love it as well.

arteacher6th is offline   Reply With Quote
L Cap.

L Cap.

around the world
Old 07-31-2006, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How 'bout going thru different holidays that are celebrated around the world? (boxing day-Britain, 3 kings day, cinco de mayo)
Also you could ask that if the kids have family members living outside the USA to have those people send a post card from their various homes and mark them on a classroom map.
Another idea woulod be international food days where as a class or individual you make a food from the country of their choice.
Lastly your class could send a letter or card to a US military troupe or embassy in the country they choose. Along with that the countries stamps could be cataloged.