Tearing/cutting stories - ProTeacher Community

SusanTeach

Tearing/cutting stories
Old 07-28-2006, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have you ever seen these? They are so neat, but I can't find a book with them in it.

It's where you tell a story and hold up a piece of paper, then either cut or tear as you're telling the story and it eventually creates a picture that has to do with the ending of the story.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd love to know where to find a book with different stories in it. I did one that I had read about, and the kids were mesmerized!!!!!

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Kimberley

Halloween one...
Old 07-28-2006, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have one for Halloween that I do each year with the kids about a little witch who is looking for a house... The kids cut along with me and when we get to the end, you open it up and it is a jack o lantern. This year we did it as one of our party activities and the parents were just as facinated as the kids! I found the link online one year with a group of halloween things. I will be more than willing to share that one with you when I get back to school and can get a copy. I would be very interested in a book of these too!!!
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote

Kimberley

Found it!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found it online and just cut and pasted it here... as the poster says, it does take some practice ahead of time!

It takes a little practice before you do it with the kids but it's worth the effort.

You will need
A witch
A black cat
A ghost
1 piece of orange construction paper
scissors

Once upon a time a very small witch was walking in the woods. The cold wind was blowing the dry leaves all around her. The little witch was frantically searching for a little house for the winter. She could not find one. Suddenly a piece of orange paper, blown by the wind, landed at her feet. She
picked it up. The little witch looked closely at the paper and then she said "I will make myself a little house from this piece of orange paper." She folded the paper in half. Then she took her scissors and she cut off the two corners to make a roof (round off the ends to make the shape of the pumpkin) "This will do just fine" she said as she looked at her new house. "But I will need a door" With her scissors, she cut a door (cut on folded end about 1/3 up from the bottom, this will be the mouth) "This won't do - I won't be able fit my pointed hat" and so she cut a triangle at the top of the door (makes the smile of the pumpkin). She then walked into her new house and found it was very dark inside. "I will need to make windows to let in the light." She then cut a front and back window (cut a square about 1/3 from the top, these are the eyes of the pumpkin) Oh, it was a very good looking house. Her very owl little house with a roof, a door and windows...it was all finished. But just as the little witch started to go inside for the winter, she saw a tiny ghost floating down the wind swept path. As the tiny ghost came to a stop near the little house, she saw that the little ghost was crying "why are you crying?" asked the little witch. The tiny ghost stopped crying and anwered "It is cold and windy, it is getting dark and I have no place to spend the winter." "You may spend the winter with me in my new house, said the little witch. "Oh, thank you" the happy tiny ghost said as she peaked in the window. "This is a very nice house" "First" said the little witch, "I will need to make you a door of your very own" She took the scissors again and began to cut. She cut a very tiny door. (cut a triangle in the middle on the fold, this is the nose of the pumpkin) The two happy new friends went inside. The tiny ghost went in the very little door and the little witch went in through her own special door. All winterlong they lived happily together inside the little orange house. If you want to see inside their little orange house, just unfold the sheet of paper. Surprise.

Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote

bams4

Scissor Tales Series
Old 07-29-2006, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are two books that I know of : Scissor Tales for Any Day and Scissor Tales for Special Days by Jan Grubb Philpot.

http://www.powells.com/s?author=Jan%20Grubb%20Philpot
bams4 is offline   Reply With Quote

donna

The Captains Shirt
Old 07-29-2006, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow you just brought back a childhood memory!
I remember one about a captain's shirt.
You start with a paper boat. It went something like this.

The captain set sail on his boat and hit a terrible storm.
The boat hit some rocks and damaged its front (tear off front corner)
Then the back of the boat is thown into some rocks. (tear off back corner)
The strong winds tore off the sail.(tear off part of the point at the top)
The next day when searching for the boat,
All they found left was the captain's shirt (Open it up and there is a shirt)

I little depressing for a kids story but I remember being so amazed with the result.

donna is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2006, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for everyone's help!

I knew there had to be a title somewhere! Now I have (another) excuse to visit Barnes and Noble! I checked their website and they carry those 2 books.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Janet Mayer

Janet Mayer

Halloween cutting story with a Jack-o-Lantern
Old 09-09-2008, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Please help me.. I use to teach first grade and special ed. I am going to volunteer at a school and want to do the story. When I retired, I left my resources, including the book (soft-covered) for the new teacher to start her off with supplies. Can you either fax, email me, and/or give me the name of the book that the story came out of?
Janet Mayer
janet-mayer@comcast.net
fax # 561-740-3660
Janet Mayer

Janet Mayer

cutting story book
Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Can you please email me the name of the book that this story comes from. I left mine when I retired. Janet-mayer@comcast.net