Main Idea for Middle School - ProTeacher Community

tickityboo

Main Idea for Middle School
Old 02-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently teaching a remedial reading class for middle school kids (grade 7-8). I am teaching Main Idea along with compare and contrast this week, and trying to finalize my Main Idea lesson for tomorrow. I cannot get past the anticipatory set. What I'm having them do for that is two students will be up at the board, one facing the class. The student facing the board will look at the picture that is pulled up on the projector and will be asked to tell the other student what the picture is about in one sentence. After that, I will ask the student who cannot see the picture how they know certain details (it is a pic of teens playing video games, my question will be something along the lines of "how do you know who is playing, and what system are they using" in which then the student looking at the pic will describe more details.")
After the student not facing the board has a clear idea of what is happening, I'll have them turn around and ask them why the other student didn't describe say the color of the couch or the picture hung on the wall. The idea is to get them to see that main idea is the whole thing, which is supported by details, but sometimes there is extraneous information, or stuff that is TOO detailed to worry about mentioning regarding main idea.

How do I have them practice all this? I have a few ideas bouncing around, like having them work with a picture in pairs, then introducing them to actual text. I also found a suggestion for using a sequence of pictures in which they see the sequence as a whole, but each individual picture is a supporting detail. I've been stuck on this all weekend, S.T. is kicking my rear and I get stuck in these ruts and cannot move on with the lesson.

I want to get the kids to see the whole picture.

tickityboo is offline   Reply With Quote

amRTH ABRBER

amRTH ABRBER

maIN IDEA
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well can you please give me some 8th grade work sheets on main idea and detail please