first grade author study? - ProTeacher Community

emteacher5

emteacher5

first grade author study?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can anyone tell me what a first grade author study should look like? I have never done one but would love to. I was thinking I may do Dr. Seuss, Jan Brett, or Patricia Pollaco. Sound good? What activities do you do?

bellringer

author study
Old 03-07-2009, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm thinking that Patricia Polacco might be a stretch for first graders. I do an author study on her with second graders, and the themes are truly beyond a few of my students. Plus the stories are quite lengthy. Dr. Seuss and Jan Brett certainly would be appropriate. I would also suggest you look into Nancy Carlson, Eric Carle, Tomie dePaola, or Arnold/Anita Lobel.
When I do an author study, I put out a wide selection of their titles from which students select for independent reading. I also choose books from there for read-aloud. If possible, I have an appropriate biography of the author that I read to the class. If not a bio, research the author so you can talk about that person and share interesting parts of his/her life. Sometimes I have worksheets that connect to some of the titles.
I think that if you are excited about the author, your students will be, too. My students are often seen checking books out from the library by authors we have studied. They are quite proud to show me that they have selected a book by (an author)!
Good luck with your author study . I love doing them!

Tea"cheer"

I've never done a TRUE author study either..
Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but I did spend a week last year (1st grade) just reading Kevin Henkes books. Another author that I have grown to truly love is Robert Munsch. Maybe they would be good ones?

Strega Nona

Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Author Studies are where you read many books from that author. You also share info on the author with the kids. You do activities/centers with the stories you read...like responding to literature, favorite story, favorite character...One of your main goals is to have the students use this author as a mentor in their writing. You want your students to write like the author. I know our first grade teachers have already done Donald Crews, David Shannon, Tomie De Paola, Erza Jack Keats, and Eric Carle. I know Kevin Henkes will also be done sometime this year. The children have loved them all. I agree with the other post about Patricia Pollaco, I teach third grade and her stories are long and involved too much for first graders. Hope this helps.
Hicks

Hicks

Mem Fox
Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

She's from Australia and she uses a lot of fun author's crafts.

stretchberry

Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Emints has ideas for doing some author studies, such as Mo Willems, Dr. Seuss, David Shannon, and Kevin Henkes. (The list is in alphabetical order; scroll down to "Author.")

http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/by-grade.shtml

Reading Rockets has some online author interview videos. (They have David Shannon and Mo Willems.)

http://www.readingrockets.org/books/interviews

teachlib

author studies
Old 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I taught first grade for several years and we did Todd Parr, Eric Carle, Jan Brett, Audrey Wood, and my favorite Robert Munsch. The kids LOVE Robert Munsch and like several other authors when you write him he will write back....
Robert Munsch's website is great to! Check him out and let me know if you need some help!

booklady57

my favorite
Old 03-22-2009, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Cynthia Rylant--Henry and Mudge, Poppleton, Mr. Putter & Tabby, and a long list of books appropriate for end of first grade.

Ellie's Mom

Author Study
Old 04-29-2009, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My class loves Robert Munsch and they lend themselves well to text-to-text connections. But, my personal favorite is MY FIRST LITTLE HOUSE BOOKS. They cover so much territory and lend themselves to Social Studies very nicely.

BronxTeacher

we did eric carle
Old 07-01-2009, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

and focused on his style as an illustrator. we then did art projects with each book the way he did it. it was a lot of fun for all of us!

Carolyn1628

Authors
Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I taught 1st grade for 5 years and always do an author study. At the end of each month the students wrote letters to the author telling them their favourite book and why.

Here are the author's we do by month:
Sept - Mercer Mayer
Oct - Norman Bridwell
Nov - Marc Brown
Dec. - Dr. Seuss
Jan - Jan Brett
Feb - Paulette Bourgeois
Mar - Phoebe Gilman
April - Poetry
May - Eric Carle
June - Robert Munsch

This year I am teaching grade 2 with all my kids from last year, so I will have to change it up and find 10 new authors!

Becca4

Author Studies
Old 07-12-2009, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think these would be good for first grade...

Jan Brett
Kevin Henkes
Eric Carle
Dr. Seuss
Lois Ehlert

I wouldn't do Patricia Polacco in first grade. I do that with my third graders.
kdcteacher

kdcteacher

Another author
Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I also like using the Laura Neumeroff books to allow the kids to start with a place in writing, know where they want to end their story and figure out how to get there. (sequencing)

lilady

different authors
Old 07-17-2009, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have done author studies in both first and second grades. It is my absolute FAVORITE thing to do and my students "catch" that from me and love it too. Just like everyone else, I also do Tomie DePaola, Robert Munsch, Jan Brett and Judith Viorst as well as the others mentioned. But other authors that the kids love are Bernard Waber(Lyle the Crocodile is so much fun) and Leo Lionni (great animal stories) and Vera B Williams (great feelings and illustrations). The best part of author studies is to see the kids flock to those authors during the library visits and know so much about them. Enjoy author study time and the kids will live it too.

alicej

Old 07-18-2009, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

FYI Robert Munsche's website lets you listen to the books.

bocalopez

1st grade Author Study
Old 07-18-2009, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I was going to do anAuthor Study as a station during my reading block. I will put a basket of about six books by an author on the table and the students were to read all of the books by that author. When they had finished, they would work on the attached template that I revised from a third grade teacher here on PT. In addition, i bought All About Books posters from Oriental Trading for each student to complete. I was going to use Dr. Seuss as an example.This is my first year teaching Language Arts only to two classes. Hope that helps!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Author Study Template.doc (44.0 KB, 1437 views)
jemdoll

jemdoll

author study
Old 08-17-2009, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I think Eric Carle, Laura Numeroff, Dr. Seuss, Jan Brett, Mo Willams, and Nancy Carlson are all wonderful authors to use for monthly author studies. Robert Munsch is a blast for the kids at the end of the year! There are so many greats to choose from, but certain greats are best saved for second or third! Good luck!

Literacy Nut

Old 08-21-2009, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

One of my favorites for Sept. is P.K. Hallinan. There are many friendship/diversity books and the kids really enjoy them. I have also used many of the authors previously mentioned.
I usually share the books during 'read aloud'- especially because of the diverse abilities in first grade. We have a large chart divided into grid like squares. As we read the books, we begin to record the characteristics that we notice this author has in common in some of his books. We write these across the top and each title down the left side. Then we record in the boxes for each title. Some things we might notice are Uses Animals for Characters, has humor in stories, stories are written from his personal experience, happy endings, uses sound words etc. The kids are very observant and come up with great ideas. They often choose these books to reread or take home after we've shared as a class.
I don't think there is a right way, make it work for you and your kids and ENJOY!
haj

haj

first grade teacher
Old 11-14-2009, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I LOVE Ezra Jack Keats and Vera B. Williams. I also enjoy Mem Fox.

scrapcards

Author Studies
Old 03-19-2010, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have done author studies the last few years in first grade. I have done one a month and this year I started in Jan. through May. Leo Lionni, Ezra Jack Keats, Jan Brett, Laura Numeroff, Marc Brown, Barbara Park, Arnold Lobel, and Cynthia Rylant are several authors I have used. I gather my books by the author and usually pick 2-4 books for my focus. I have used them for teaching a certain writing trait or skill. I gather activities from the books that I think will be of interest to the students and plan my week/s from those. I have used scholastic, ed.helper as great sites to gather activities. Sometimes they will give lesson plans and worksheets to go with the books. readinga-z is a wonderful site for leveled books and you can print copies for each student. For part of my assessment I have the students do some kind of writing and a ten-fifteen point quiz over each book. At the end of the study I usually have the students pick their favorite book and do a project or writing activity. Example: Author Ezra Jack Keats.......Goggles......Projec t......make goggles from pop or gatorade plastic rings and attach cardboard sides that have been decorated by the student. The students need to write while wearing their goggles about where did they find them, where are they going, how will they get there, what will they do when they get there and how will the goggles help them. This has been a great writing idea and those with great imaginations have really written a lot and very interesting stories. I have the students take turns reading their trips to the class wearing the goggles and take pictures to put with the other pictures that have been take during the year.
This year I was awarded a grant that allows me to purchase books for each of my students. I have used the money to buy copies of the same book for one of my author studies. I have also picked a couple of the authors from our reading series (Lobel, Rylant, Keats) so all of the students can have a copy of the reading material.

aggie02

Old 04-04-2010, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

We did Helen Lester this year and it was really fun- her books carry similar themes and of course good for character comparisons, story elements, text to text connections, etc.. We followed up with a nonfiction study on penguins!

tchrgirl

Pp
Old 07-20-2010, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I love Patricia Pollaco and her books are more for older kids. But.... she does have some books for younger children! You could always give your kids just a taste of her books!

littleslearn

Aurhor studya
Old 01-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I am interested in your organization of your author study. Could you please tell me how you keep this in your classroom. Also I am interested in why you do Dr. Seuss in DEc.

E2

I wouldn't change all your authors
Old 08-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I teach Grade 2 and I do Phoebe Gilman, Eric Carle, Jan Brett, and Robert Munsch. I think you could do that with your twos even if some of them were in your grade one class before because you are basically upping the ante. You might want to look at your author studies and see where you can adjust the activities. Try adding a media literacy and drama element where you didn't before. There is a huge leap in expectations in the curriculum (at least here in Canada) between Grade 1 and 2 so it might work for you. I don't know that I'd reinvent the wheel for a few kids who might experience the book again.

Just an idea.

E
Freitag

Freitag

Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Robert Munsch, Froggy books, Mercer Mayer and Bernstein bear books are some of my favorites to do author studies on. We are starting a Mercer Mayer author study this coming week.

shruti.patel@

shruti.patel@

author study
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Can you share few of the interesting activities which you did while doing Mercer Mayer books with your learners.