Help! Regrouping strategies - ProTeacher Community

idiotic sd

idiotic sd

Help! Regrouping strategies
Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district ( had to post anonymous to protect identity.) wrote their own math curriculum for which we are responsible for following. It is at the very best, very poorly done. It requires so much preparation to get ready to teach each lesson and each lesson is full of fluff. I am trying to teach 2 and 3 digit subtraction with regrouping. Most of my students are not getting it! What activities do you use to teach it so that they grasp it? I have used the base ten blocks both on the overhead and having the students use them. I have had them draw it out in pictures, we have tried to use number lines to count back, ect. They are really struggling! Suggestions anyone?

garnet

regrouping
Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just keep doing it and modeling. This is a tough concept for this age group to grasp. Besides using models, when we do it whole group I have them hold up the number of fingers in the ones place and always ask "can you take away _______?" They respond then we make the trade on paper.

There is something to be said for "drill and kill".
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote

beahappygirl

poem
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use the follow poem to help the kids. We look at the ones and repeat the poem until we find the right one. HOpe it helps.

More on top?
No need to stop.
Numbers the same?
Zeros the game.
More on the floor?
Go next door,
Get ten more.
beahappygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

illinoisteach

funny numbers
Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Earlier this school year, my district had a Math guru come talk to us. He bored us to tears for most of the day...but he did give us one idea that we all love! It's called "Funny numbers". To start this, you have to get the kids comfortable making funny numbers. You tell them that a number like 43 is actually 4 tens and 3 ones. Then you tell them that you are going to "give" one of the tens to the 3 ones. They should see that this makes 13. The new number is then pronounced "thirty-thirteen". The kids really like this because it sounds odd . After they get used to making funny numbers, you can then look at a math problem like 34-16 and say "oh! we need to turn 34 into a funny number!" Then they are subtracting "twenty fourteen" and 16. Does that make sense? I wish I could write it out for you! It's fun and made regrouping SO much easier for my kids.
illinoisteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Antique Tchr

We dramatize it
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

after we've worked with the unifix cubes. If the problem is
- 18 I then say "Stick up 6. Put down 8." They reply "Can't do it!"

I say "Now what do we do?" They reply "Go next door and borrow."
Then we all dramatically say together after I knock loudly on the board "Mr. 4, Mr. 4, can we borrow one of your tens?" In a different voice we say "Of course!" Then we say as I record the crossing out and writing the numbers "So 4 tens turns into 3 tens. We put the 1 ten over the ones number to show what we borrowed. Then we move the 6 up by the 1 ten we borrowed to show that 6 turns into 16." Then we proceed through the rest of the problem.

We do this every time we work a subtraction regrouping problem. Early on I also have kids holding number cards and acting this out for the class as I record it on the board. After a few days I go back to the unifix cubes and they seem to grasp it better. I often see some of the students knocking on their desks as they work problems independently.

Antique Tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

eduAKAtor

Working on the same thing right now
Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have the children set up their problems:
Look at the ones column
Which # is bigger
Circle the biggest #
If the biggest # is on the top stop and then do the following
circle the subtraction sign to remind you to take away and make an arrow on the right hand side to remind you to subtract or take away going down

If the # is bigger on the bottom ( in the one's column) then you have to go next door and borrow 10
Put your pencil down take one from the top number and write it over the number a
Add ten to the top ones number
Circle the subtraction sign
Draw the arrow going down
Now you are ready to subtract

I teach LD students and they have finally gotten it!
eduAKAtor is offline   Reply With Quote

kara_00_us

Regrouping
Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our district uses Saxon math which although some teacher don't like the script of it, teaches regrouping beautifully. It uses dimes and pennies as a way to demonstrate regrouping. We count out the top number with our money. They can physically see that they don't have enough pennies. We say now we have to borrow from the dime side and when you take the money to the bank they will give you 10 pennies so we physically trade 1 dime for 10 pennies. It is a great way to teach it and the kids seems to get it.
kara_00_us is offline   Reply With Quote

315tiye

Regrouping
Old 03-06-2009, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you email me directly I will give you a pdf file of my strategies for teaching two digit addition and subtraction using tens.
315tiye@msn.com
315tiye is offline   Reply With Quote

howardel

Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I tell a story about "Mr. Ones" who wants to build a house. He goes to the lumber store and starts to carry the planks of wood for his home (I then start counting out popcycle sticks). When I get to ten, I drop them saying that Mr. Ones is not strong enough to carry them all. So he goes to his neighbor, Mr. Tens, who says that he will help but he has one request- that ten planks be bundled together for easier carrying. I try to make a big deal about how strong Mr. Tens is and say he can carry 9 bundles. Then I make up a math story that requires regrouping. You can then show how a bundle can be given to Mr. Ones, who can then take planks out of the bunde to help solve the math problem. This visual and manipulative process seems to help most of the students I have worked with. Hope it helps.
howardel is offline   Reply With Quote
ratid

ratid

Subtraction - Regrouping
Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like the method you have used for teaching regrouping,

please confirm the later half of your method:

...."Put your pencil down take one from the top number and write it over the number a
Add ten to the top ones number"

Can you explain this section again.

Thanks

nativegirl

this works!!
Old 02-13-2010, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

we do this at my school in 2nd grade too! (referring to the message posted by antique teacher) IT WORKS! I have tried lots of things and the kids get this! They love the voices when you get into it and my kids are often spotted knocking on their desks as well!

The only thing we add is we make a "hotel" or apartment on paper and have the kids put in plastic sleeves. We talk about the numbers being in a hotel and going next door to Mr. Ten , Mrs. Hundred etc..
nativegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

jrottie77

Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

can you share with me the file? Am a 1st grade teacher and am teaching this the last weeks of schools. My email is jrottie77@yahoo.com. Thank you for your help!
jrottie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
IR

IR

Student Teacher
Old 10-10-2010, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am student teaching Special Ed 3rd grade students. I would appreciate a strategy or scripted lesson plan to teach them 3column Math/Substraction by regrouping.

Thanks for your help!
knoxteacher42

knoxteacher42

Math Guru
Old 02-11-2014, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

That math 'guru' I am assuming was Greg Tang and he is an amazing speaker. Sorry to hear that you all were bored I have been to multiple talks by him and have learned from each one and loved it! His methods are well respected and very popular, as are his books.