Help Please...Creative reward ideas needed! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

Help Please...Creative reward ideas needed!

>

myers1st

Help Please...Creative reward ideas needed!
Old 07-30-2006, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just found out that we won't be allowed to give candy as a reward or even use food in our lessons. As a first grade teacher, this is disappointing because I'm always using food to teach math (sorting, graphing, etc.) Although I don't give out candy that often as a reward, I do on occasion. Does anyone have any great ideas of easy and cheap rewards the kids would like? I do have a treasure chest, but my supply is getting low. Any ideas on how to replenish that at a very low cost as well?

myers1st is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use stickers, pencils, erasers, book marks and caught being good coupons that we do a drawing for a special prize every week. I buy things on oriental trading like the little vinyl fish and the beaded necklaces because the prizes come out to less than 10 cents a piece. I also go to the dollartree and buy packs of things. Recently I found bags of 44 different play fashion rings in the discount aisle at walmart for 75 cents. I bought two bags! I look after major holidays for seasonal things i can use. I also save all those plastic and cardboard fake credit cards the companies send. The children LOVE them and they are absolutely free. Just make sure your name/account information isn't printed on them anywhere.
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

No homework coupons
Old 07-30-2006, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Dollar Tree had a set of No Homework coupons. They also had a set of tickets that could be used for extra time on a computer, lunch with the teacher, a free ice cream from the cafeteria etc. I purchased a set of reward pencils (24) at Walmart for $2.49. Roseart has 12 colored pencils 5 packs for a dollar at K Mart this week. Target's Dollar Spot had some cute marker packs that were decorated like types of candy (I think Dots was one) that were 4 or 5 in a pack. These packs could be opened and split. You could also use books from the book order using Bonus Points.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Poppy

Welcome to the club
Old 07-30-2006, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We've had the no food rule here in Texas for about 3 years now. It's such a pain. I've used trinkets that I've purchased from Rhode Island Novelty (similar to Oriental Trading). Parents also have donated things like toys from happy meals. I had one parent donate hundreds of beanie baby trading cards. The kids went crazy collecting and trading them. (Even though that trend was a long time ago.) I've also gotten stuff from the Dollar Tree and the dollar section at Target. Sometimes I find clearanced stuff at WalMart. The kids also love no homework coupons and other coupons for things like play a game on the computer, eat lunch with a friend, etc.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Indiana Teacher

We have that rule in my district as well.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our school system has gone so far as to say that teachers can not bring fast food into the building due to it being unhealthy. Who gives them the right to say what we can and can't have for our own lunch? I think it is so ridiculous. (Sorry, can you tell this is a hot subject in our system right now?!)

Anyways, I just purchased a package of 150 toy novelties from Oriental Trading. I am going to use this to get started. I don't give it out often either, so I am hoping that this will last for a while.

Indiana Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bamateach

rewards
Old 07-30-2006, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do bonus bucks so when my kids are caught being good they get a bb. Then once a month I open the bb store. Last yr I had candy but this year that is gone but that was only one of many things they could buy so I will just relaced it with something else. other prizes were: shoes off in room all day (most popular)
pencil
treat drawer (this has little bookmarks, erasers, etc to choose from)
Treasure chest (this is the big treasure chest. (has stuffed animals, mc. d's toys, etc... Cleaned out my kids closet )
read to class
read to another class
sit w/ friend at lunch
sit at special table all day w/ friend (this is just an extra table I have in my room.
grade a set of papers
sit at teachers desk
share a toy/ special hobby
1st grade reading buddy
Scholastic book pick (3.95 or less) I use bonus points
no homework
free computer time
alternate activitiy during morning work
extra freeplay (they'd go w/ another class)

THese are some that I can remember. They are not in any order and they vary in value. Ex: the book pick is $100, no homework I think was 45, shoes off 20, etc....

Hope this helps.
bamateach is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Party!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you go the party stores or the party sections of Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Target, you can find packs of toys that you can separate and put in your treasure chest. For example, my kids have always liked getting bubbles from the treasure chest. Wal-Mart has a pack of 16 (I think) bubbles for just a few dollars. That's 16 different prizes. The bubbles are the size of wedding bubbles but they don't care! Also, Wal-Mart has an 88 section in the toy department. You can buy stretchy lizards and other toys that come in bags. Open up the bags and you have a bunch of prizes for one low price.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

myers1st

Great ideas!
Old 07-31-2006, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks so much for the great ideas! I love the bonus bucks idea. I will definitely use them this year. The kids will love them!
myers1st is offline   Reply With Quote