what to do after retirement - ProTeacher Community

aerofan

what to do after retirement
Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What ideas can you share about employment after retirement? Substitute teaching in your district? Something in the field of education? All ideas are welcome!!!

aerofan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sue W.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here subs are in short supply so that is a good option. In the community where I attended college there were so many that those who weren't well known were lucky to get one call a month.

Check with your local school district for special task force type short term activities. Our district likes to have retired teachers doing some projects. There's a team that spends 6 days, three times a year doing DIBELs testing to help out the classroom teachers. Next year there will be a position supplementing the Title I teaching team at the local parochial schools for a couple of hours a day.

Check different possibilities. Our community has a large new-comer immigrant population and the community offers classes in speaking and reading English and welcome retired teachers for those positions.

Maybe something in another field might be right. I know reps for Mary Kay cosmetics, Pampered Chef, Jewelry party sales. Two ladies I know enjoy being a hostess for local supper clubs a couple of shift a week. Personally I would think working in a bookstore would be fun, but probably would cost me more than I would make.

Another ex-co-worker got her real estate license, though now is probably not the time for that!

A lot of others do volunteering; hospital gift shop, Blood mobile,
nature center, meals on wheels. No money there but they feel needed and enjoy the time they share.

Your community may have other options. Keep your eyes and ears open!
Sue W. is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Depends on where you are
Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Big cities have more variety of opportunities than small towns.
substitute teaching has been fun for me. It's a large district and I get requested, I've been around a long time.
If there's a college with a teacher prep program, you might do student teacher supervision or support. Your district may have mentoring programs either for pay or volunteer.
There may be community classes to teach or take. Volunteer at schools--we have a foster grandparent program with a small stipend and free (fatty) school lunch.
Maybe try something you've never done before. Our local university has free tuition for those over 62. I'm planning to take some classes I never could before--too busy correcting papers and lesson planning.
There are lots of national parks and other resort areas that hire for May thru October: retail sales, information booth, etc. Do a web search or call your favorite destination.
Have fun, you've earned it!!!
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I forgot one
Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Politics! visit city, county or even state regulators and watch the sideshow or get involved with pet projects--advocate for or against issues.
Write to national and state legislators on issues.
For one, NCLB is coming up for renewal. Put in your 2 cents, pro, con, or suggest tweeks.
You are an expert on students, schools and education.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

heger

Old 04-18-2009, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hello,
only six weeks left until I retire, but I have been at home for 2 1/2 years. I'm a kindergarten teacher and live in Germany.
I teach the 5-6 years old children in my kindergarten English (ESL), so I feel needed, can use my hobby, make children happy and can be among people I like. I have worked in this kindergarten for 35 years.
As I not educated to teach languages, I don't take money (usually English courses are expensive here). So all children can join the course, the poorer too. We have a lot of fun together.

I hope you find something that satisfies you.
heger

heger is offline   Reply With Quote