Very disturbing prom theme - ProTeacher Community

cocotx

Very disturbing prom theme
Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There is a private school (no religious affiliation) that has chosen a particularly disturbing prom theme this year: The Seven Deadly Sins! The prom invitations say, "Calling all Sinners: We request your presence in Hell." There is a provocative picture of a woman with the word "LUST" written under it and a pentagram on the invitation as well. I thought this was a joke but I contacted the headmaster and he confirmed it, saying, "It was meant to be ironic, satirical. The prom theme is The Seven Deadly Sins. It is not meant to extol sin or Satanism but to satirize it, make fun of it, ridicule it. We are sorry that it has offended."
My reason for posting this here is that the only other place I have seen it mentioned is on a Catholic website and there is much debate in the comments about souls in danger, etc. I was hoping to get some feedback from people who, as professionals, simply care about children and agree that this is near criminal in addition to being in VERY bad taste.

MrsDriver

MrsDriver

Why would...
Old 03-07-2009, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

any one in their right minds think that this is an acceptable theme for a prom? Especially with the picture of the woman and the word lust on the front. Who came up with this? I find it hard to believe that the parents are okay with this. I am not a religious person and this would seriously offend me. Do the students even understand that it is supposed to be satirical? This school has some serious issues and I think they need to rethink the whole thing!!!! Can you say, "inviting teens to misbehave and commit some sins"?

1956BD

Whoa!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can not believe the administration approved this as a theme. I think it is in very bad taste and is not guiding the students in the right direction. I think the administration should not allow this. When is the prom? Is there time to select another theme and change arrangements? I think this theme is giving the students encouragement to really act out the night of their prom.

cocotx

Redoubling their efforts
Old 03-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It seems that the fact that this theme has been questioned by outsiders to this school's community has made them even more determined to carry it through, sadly enough.
Also, it is being more strongly defended because of the supposed open-mindedness of the school. (I consider myself to be very open-minded but no way would I accept this for my child!)
Here is what one commentor wrote, "(Name of school) prides itself on being extremely open to its students, providing them with adequate time for religious practices and school off for religious observations for many theologies. Those that do practice their religion faithfully and frequently have the ability to voice their opinion on the matter, and if they were to object to it, then of course the theme would be toned down to a certain extent, but they understand that it's just a joke and how little the theme really matters in the long scheme of things."

DNF08

Old 03-07-2009, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What an awful theme!!! What kind of parent would let their child attend that!!? Yikes!

What?

What?

Parents??
Old 03-07-2009, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Someone ask what kind of parents would approve this theme...the type that never admit their little darling would do anything wrong-it is always someone else or some else's influence on their poor child. The same parent that threatens anyone who stand up to their little darling.
The same one that would allow a female pic to be used with the word "LUST" to enhance the theme. This truly sickens me!

rubyanne

Old 03-07-2009, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am a very open person and allow my own children to form their own beliefs when it comes to religion and spirituality. With that said, this is NOT an appropriate theme for a prom no matter how "open" a school may be. It sounds like a theme for an adult Halloween party. I do not believe all high school age children understand satire.

EarthMonkey

Old 03-07-2009, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would be concerned the children would misunderstand the satire and think the satire was the idea of sin itself or maybe see sin as funny rather than ridiculed.

GraceKrispy

Old 03-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

totally inappropriate. the visual alone on the invite is way over the top.

sky22

horrible
Old 03-07-2009, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I too am very open minded, but this is way beyond what I would think is appropriate. As a parent I would object to this being promoted in a school setting. I can't imagine a parent thinking this was ok at their children's school. I'm wondering what kind of an education the headmaster is promoting. This would worry me. For adults I would think it was poor taste, but for kids it is wrong.

Even though I think this is inappropriate, since this is a private school, and the parents of the school think it's fine, it is their right to do any theme they want.

What's the site where this is being discussed?

Last edited by sky22; 03-07-2009 at 11:24 PM..

Ventilated

Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Sorry-not American-what age/grade students would go to a "prom"?

Elyssa

Is this it?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

http://thedanashow.wordpress.com/200...l-prom-invite/

Yes, very creepy.

Another interesting blog with comments about this prom theme:

http://stlouiscatholic.blogspot.com/...or-why-my.html

2ndGradeRocks

Awful!
Old 03-08-2009, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would not allow my child to attend a prom with that theme. In fact I'd seriously reconsider letting my child attend that school, period! What are they thinking????

laughoften

Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Vent,
Well there is a junior and senior prom. So you would think most of the kids would be 16-18 years old. However, what no one has seemed to mention here is that sometimes freshman and sophomores (14-16 year olds) get invited to these proms too.
I say where ever this is happening is going to get what they deserve out of it.

hot4teachr

Old 03-08-2009, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

That is so awful! That sounds more like a fraternity party theme, then something appropriate for a prom! I would never let my kid go...Or I would complain to the school.

sbslab

too much
Old 03-08-2009, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This is too much for me! I can't believe that ALL students would understand that is satirical and not an invitation to do things they normally would not do. I am all for giving teens the opportunity to express themselves, but this seems inappropriate from the description. Certainly, they knew it was likely to raise a ruckus, don't you think? Unfortunately, the school, having given permission, must feel it must defend the position at all costs.

yesteach

Not appropriate
Old 03-08-2009, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

in my opinion... however, if my child were a senior at this school I'd leave the decision to go or not up to her... I figure she's basically an adult at that point and all I can do is hope I've raised her to make an intelligent choice. On the other hand - if she were a younger student (freshman, sophomore) invited to this, I'd not let her go.

I just think, satire or not, it sends an inappropriate message.
Suspended

janeypoo
Suspended

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Yeah, I would let my senior go to the prom, too...but I would be very disappointed at the theme....sounds more like a halloween dance to me.But if students(the prom commitee) chose that as a theme and the rest of the kids voted on it(that's how it was decided at my hs?) I would uphold their decision.It is THEIR prom, afterall, and, like PP said, 17 and 18 year olds, while still young ,are or are almost adults.I would be the most upset at the pentagram being assosiated with lust, unless it was upside down, which if it were it is still disrespectful(same as an upside down cross) but that is a totally different issue.

MissC83

is this REAL!?!?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I just looked at the invitation...........

After prom is going to be hosted by the "Devilish Junior Parents".
The front cover says "Let the sin begin"....They are just ASKING for it!!!!!! Nothing like encouraging your high school students to make poor choices.

If I had kids at that school I would be very concerned about the adults that were in charge of prom...administration, teachers, sponsors, whoever. What are they thinking???

This sounds like an invite to an adult party...not a high school prom.
How disturbing.
Suspended

Driven2BG
Suspended

It Comes at Price
Old 03-08-2009, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Tuition for the 2008-2009 school year is $19,450 or about $1,620 a month over 12 months. Other charges, for books and field trips, can cost an additional $800-$1000 a year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO, the pentagon may warrant an investigation my an anti-defemation league.

Essie20

My child
Old 03-08-2009, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I am FAR from a prude, but my child would be pulled out of that school if the theme did not change. I would not want them attending a school that the administration shows such a lack of proper judgement!

lucky

Wth?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

curiouser, and curiouser

heart4kids

Ick!!!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

People, both staff and parents, have lost all sense of decency.
Suspended

janeypoo
Suspended

Old 03-08-2009, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Yikes, I just rearead and clicked on the links that show the invite.Yikes...that is definantly the satanic upside-down pentagram.I wouldn't let my 17 year old attend(hypothetically, I don't have a teenager, my kid is a toddler) and I would have some serious words with her as an eighteen year old adult about this...I get the seven deadly sins as a theme, even America's Next TOp Model has used it and it can make for some interesting costumes, but that invite is just too much...it takes it way past the level I was thinking.However, was the link serious that a girl on the Rock of Love bus created it?Or was that a joke about it's ridiculousness?Is it a publicity stunt?

cocotx

Not a joke!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

As I stated in my initial post, I was sure this was a joke when I first saw it. I emailed the headmaster and he confirmed that it is real. My reason for contacting him was twofold: I wanted to confirm for myself that it was a joke because a lot of people were getting very upset over it and I also wanted him to be able to do a little "damage control" if this was someone's way of trying to tarnish his school's fine reputation. His response (see initial post) floored me.

Risa

Offensive
Old 03-08-2009, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I, too, consider myself to be open-minded, 'live and let live', blah-blah-blah...

However.... for my tastes, this one most definitely crosses the line.
Suspended

janeypoo
Suspended

Old 03-08-2009, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

All I have to say then is "Jeepers!"

luv2tch84

Yikes!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

After looking at the link that was posted it appears to almost be scary to me! If I was a parent of a high school aged student I would most likely NOT allow them to attend this prom! Yikes!

ms.artteacher

if nothing else...
Old 03-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Its just soooo tacky! and can you imagine the social repercussions for the poor chubby kid who gets asked if they're "gluttony" etc...

Are they planning on including the new ones? like not degrading the environment? woohoo, lets over-consume and call it a prom! sheesh.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I would not allow my children to attend that school. It is extremely inappropriate and disturbing. I wonder about any adult who considers it an appropriate theme. Money talks, and I can only hope that enough parents will reconsider the education that their children are receiving here.

lou reed

Old 03-08-2009, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I don't think it sounds bad. It's pretty obvious they're being ironic, and it sounds more fun than any of the corny proms I went to.

Evergreen

Old 03-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Highly inappropriate!

I noticed the times....9:30 PM - 1:30 AM....wow! Our prom was 7:30-midnight. Their afterprom is from 1:30-3:30 (meaning these kids will have to drive home at 3:30 int he morning). Our after proms were always lock-ins....started at midnight when the prom was over and you were locked in until 7am. After prom is meant to be a safe place to be, instead of out partying and driving int he middle of the night.
What a mess!

JML

Just when you think you've seen it all...
Old 03-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

After reading the St. Louis Catholic blog, I was shocked that parents were defending this. They have thrown out all common sense on this! It is not a ridicule of the deadly sins, it's glorifying them. I'm not sure why any parent would want LUST to be a part of the prom theme....hellooo?!?! These are a bunch of parents that don't parent.
anon1555

anon1555

students choice
Old 03-08-2009, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Listen, I know everything about this issue:
Firstly, everything has been the actions of the students. The students thought of the theme, voted on the theme, designed the invitations, decorations, food ect.
The school, John Burroughs School in St. Louis, is super liberal, and has always taken the position of student choice. (They've had Heaven and Hell dances before, and even a "Communist Nations" field day)
The theme is totally satirical and no one takes it seriously. Burroughs is one of the top schools in the country, and the students are inteligent enough to understand that its not promoting debauchery (I mean, there are only 400 kids in the high school... most of them have been involved in the process anyway)
Also, there were 7 different invitations printed, one for each of the sins. The lust picture happens to be a little "provocative" but its nothing close to what you see on TV anyway, and what is a Seven Deadly Sins Prom with 6 sins?
I think the whole thing is much ado about nothing. Its ironic, its toeing the line, its pushing the envelope, its enciting debate and protest... its quality education at its finest!

cocotx

Anon1555
Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Are you a Burroughs student? I am seeing a pattern in the lack of grammar and spelling skills in the responses (on the St. Louis Catholic blog) from students at this prestigious school. I'm not trying to get off topic, but I am curious if the rules of English are as "liberal" as everything else is purported to be at Burroughs.

Ventilated

Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Without knowing the school and its culture, it's not reasonable in my opinion to pass judgment.

As one parent resonded in the blog " they understand that it's just a joke and how little the theme really matters in the long scheme of things"

Anyway, if they are 16 to 18, then the reality is they will be going to whatever parties they want in the next little while (if they aren't already).

Ventilated

Old 03-09-2009, 02:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Quote:
Are you a Burroughs student? I am seeing a pattern in the lack of grammar and spelling skills in the responses (on the St. Louis Catholic blog) from students at this prestigious school. I'm not trying to get off topic, but I am curious if the rules of English are as "liberal" as everything else is purported to be at Burroughs.
Yes, well said cocotox. Is is without doubt the correct use of grammar that sets the great minds apart from the mediocre.

Anon1555-just read your post-you've convinced me.

Longefellow

Oh my!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I can not beleive that this is being allowed! I would not allow my child to attend that prom and would also pull my child out of that school.

Lulu91

Quality Education
Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I have read several remarks that indicate that this is one of “finest schools in the Nation” and that others are just “jealous” because they can’t afford to send their children here. I find both the comments and the theme disturbing and extremely distasteful.

Strawberry_K5

Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Very offensive and distasteful. This is a Catholic school?

JME

Cocotx
Old 03-09-2009, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Please tell us that the school has received a lot of negative feedback and they've decided to change the theme!!!!

cocotx

As I have said...
Old 03-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

This is NOT a Catholic school. It has no religious affiliation. I doubt that they will change the theme.

teachY

prom
Old 03-09-2009, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I am in shock...my child would be pulled out of that school!
BB09

BB09

Please...
Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

This was the students' choice and was decided in December. The prom theme was not concealed in any way, and if anyone had voiced his or her opinion back then, perhaps the Burroughs community would have reconsidered its decision. It is too late to change
the theme now as the junior class has put a tremendous amount of work into this dance in order to make it a fun, memorable, and most importantly, safe event. This prom is in no way an encouragement to sin, but rather an escape from the rigorous, exhaughsting environment that Burroughs' students are exposed to every day. This is one of the last celebrations that the seniors get to have as a class before departing to their respective colleges and universities, and after six years of incredibly hard work, deserve to have a good time without the complaints of others.

Suspended

janeypoo
Suspended

Old 03-10-2009, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

1. People always complain, and the school should expect complaints when they choose such controversial invitations that cannot be expected to be "understood" by outsiders.WHat you do with them (the complaints)is your business, but students cannot expect to live life without others complaining.Hon, it will happen again many times throughout your life, so get used to it.

2.That said, it is up to your school and your parents. We can complain all we want, it won't change your prom theme if all of the "insiders" are on board.But "outsiders" will still be baffled as to why the satanic baphomet , ect would be "okay" on a prom invitation anywhere.As I have said before, I thyink the "Seven Deadly Sins" as a theme can be "cute" or "creative", but to us it looks taken way too far when "sins" become linked with Anton Levey and modern satanism, even in jest.
Catholic

Catholic

Culutural Sensitivity?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I personally object to someone using my religious convictions as a subject of public ridicule. It is culturally insensitive--to say the least. Can you imagine a prom with a "Pillars of Islam" theme? Or a "Kosher" theme? Offensive and destructive of our nation's commitment to cultural and religious diversity.

REALLY?????

REALLY?????

Are you kidding me!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

"The theme is totally satirical and no one takes it seriously. Burroughs is one of the top schools in the country, and the students are inteligent enough to understand that its not promoting debauchery"

What is seen as so "satirical" is that these parents have been push-overs to their children. Instead of being parents and not allowing this, these parents are going along with this.

PARENTS BE PARENTS!!!

This "Top school" cannot by any means be "tops" if the administration does not even have the good sense to say something.

Good job to the students for being allowed to get away with it!!! Way to push-over your parents and administration. Way to go!! You should be proud!

sad

sad

Is this true?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

Is this for real? I am shocked, stunned and saddened by the fact that over-acheivers could not have thought of something more tasteful.

klarabelle

Who Says Burroughs Is A Top School
Old 03-10-2009, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I can't believe any school would condone a Seven Deadly Sins prom. How can we look at the world today, and the permissive society and not say no to such a school activity. I looked up US News & World Report and did not see Burroughs listed in the top 100 High Schools in the US. I wonder why?
signout

signout

Some points I agree
Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

You are right. The world is deteriorating and this theme is a sign of that deterioration.

Ventilated

Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

Quote:
The world is deteriorating and this theme is a sign of that deterioration.
And your parents said the same about your generation, as did their parents about theirs.

Students being asked, encouraged and supported in thinking for themselves-in choosing a course of action and then justifying it-yup, sounds like pretty scary stuff alright.
money talks

money talks

Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

The extremely expensive tuition would prohibit most students ability to attend this school. It is not a surprise that many of these students attend top colleges. The old boy network is well and alive and money talks. We all know that the wealthiest people do not always make the best choices.