Tier 2 Word List - ProTeacher Community

Rachell2000

Tier 2 Word List
Old 03-15-2009, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a word list of Tier 2 words that you would be willing to share for any grade level K-3? I attended a reading conference this week in Greensboro, NC. Vocabulary was a hot topic and Tier 2 words were mentioned repeatedly but I'm a new Title 1 Reading Teacher for K - 4 and I'm really not sure where to start.

Thank you for your help.

Rachell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

loggerteacher

book
Old 03-15-2009, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have a word list for you, but I suggest the book Bringing Words to Life by Isabel Beck. In the back there is an appendix that has grade level appropriate books with vocab words to focus on. Great book, short, and easy read
loggerteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

AppleOne

Old 03-15-2009, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

• Tier 1 words are the most basic words and are the ones that are reasonably easy to teach, usually because there is some kind of physical referent (blue, elbow, table, run). We need to spend time on them because they show up frequently and students need to know these words. It is not necessary to spend more time than is required, though, because they are easier to teach than the other two tiers.
  • Tier 2 words are the mother lode of words. These are the high frequency words that are found and used across domains. Spending time teaching these words deeply, richly, powerfully....that is worth the effort. Knowing these words will have an impact on students' learning and communication throughout their lives. Words that could be considered Tier 2 words would include: difference, temperate, omnivore, exaggerate, erode. You can see that these are words that may have particular meanings in certain content areas, but they are used in a variety of ways by mature language users.
  • Tier 3 words are the words that are much lower frequency words and that are very specific to one domain, usually. For example; oligopoly, marcato, lithosphere, couplet, univariate analysis. These are important words, but need to be taught within the context and subject area where they will be used.
AppleOne is offline   Reply With Quote

GrandmaSue77

Thank You
Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for providing these definitions. I am in the process of getting my reading endorsement and they are very helpful.
GrandmaSue77 is offline   Reply With Quote