Two step word problems - ProTeacher Community

girlygrandma

Two step word problems
Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,
My students are struggling with two step word problems. Can anyone suggest a good way to approach teaching these? We do a problem each day and my kids understand the one step problems but two step ones throw them! Also does anyone know of websites that provide a list of problems to practice?
Thank you so much from a grateful me.

girlygrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Catie

Catie

Same Here!!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am on the same page with my students and the two step word problems. And these are pretty much what they get on the EOG test... so I would LOVE any help that anyone has to offer

1956BD

Need to practice
Old 03-15-2009, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They need independent practice after each day's modeled problem. Write a similar problem. It could even be exactly the same words, but chance the numbers to create a new problem. Leave the model up on the board, overhead or elmo so they can see the steps. Then let them solve the second problem. Then check and discuss.

Be sure to circle key words that "tell" you what operation to use. This is what they really need to internalize so they know weather to add, subtract, mutiply or divide.

At the end of the week I would give them 4 or 5 repeated problems to do again as a mixed review.

You might also act out the probelms using props like money and products they are purchasing in the problem.

This skill takes a great deal of practice. I give my students at least 8 word problems a day. Some are two step and some are a single step.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Ventilated

Old 03-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Give them lots of practice at writing the equations without worrying about solving them yet.

Maybe 5 one step and 5 two step every day for a while.

In other words, to get the problem "correct", all you need to do is show the correct equation.

It's also a good idea to have the kids either draw or model their equations somehow.
This is particularly useful as when they get to solving them, then they can model or draw as a possible way to check if their solutions make sense.
Ventilated is offline   Reply With Quote

girlygrandma

Thank you for the great suggestions!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for all your great suggestions. I have tried them for one week and my students showed improvement. Thank you again.

girlygrandma is offline   Reply With Quote