Help

ARCHIVE

Pirate Theme Ideas

>

amason

Pirate Theme Ideas
Old 08-01-2006, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to set up my classroom based on a new theme this year. Pirates seem to be so popular right now because of the Pirates of the Carribean movie coming out this summer. What kinds of ideas do any of you have for bulletin boards or other ways to use this theme to decorate my classroom?

amason is offline   Reply With Quote

rmnewton04

Discover the Treasure of Learning
Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I established this theme for my class this year. My organization tool is the P.I.R.A.T.E. binder (Prepared, Independent, Responsible, And Tidy Everyday) based on the infamous MOOSE book. My reading corner and bulletin board are covered with thatched hut paper, with a totem pole, parrot, palm tree, and grass skirt adorning the area. My treasure chest is filled with good behavior items. I gave each student a "treasure hunt" bag filled with items and riddles the first day. At Meet and Greet everyone received a lei as I welcomed them aboard. For open house I have a pirate hat decorating activity while I visit with parents. And, lots of other little items along the theme like gems instead of marbles, Pirates of the Caribbean fruit snacks, etc.

We are already back in school, and the kids have loved the theme. I am sure yours will, too!
rmnewton04 is offline   Reply With Quote

kekonen

Old 08-03-2006, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my 3rd year teaching 4th grade, and I'm doing a pirate theme as well. This will be my first theme, so we'll see how it goes!

I got this idea from another thread, but I'm going to do an AR bulletin board of a treasure map. Each child will have a little pirate ship that they move along the map for the number of AR points that they earn. There will be various prizes along the way (going in the treasure box, a free book from a book order, etc.) for the kids that reach the various point goals.

I also bought a pirate/treasure chest bulletin board set, and I'm going to make a board outside my classroom to welcome the kids. The set comes with a large treasure chest, gems, a parrot, a palm tree, and a pelican. I'm going to laminate the set and write names on the gems and place them on the wall around the treasure chest.

I'm also going to do a token reward system this year. Each child will have 5-6 gold coins labeled with their PIN number, and when I catch them being good, I'll drop one of their coins in a drawstring bag. At the end of the day I'll pull a coin and that child will get something out of the treasure chest. I bought a bunch of pirate themed items to go in the treasure chest too. I bought some pirate temporary tattoos, some gummy sharks and jolly rogers, jewel rings, gem bouncy balls, and jolly roger pencils.

I'm not going to go too crazy with the theme as far as decorating goes, though. I may try to make my classroom library into a "reading cove" with some fish net hanging from the walls and some other decorations, but we'll see what I can find.
kekonen is offline   Reply With Quote

amason

Good ideas
Old 08-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I found some more pirate information in one of the other threads. Did you happen to look at the Scholastic website? They have some excellent resources that go along with the pirate theme. They have some forms already created that the students could use for logging books for independent reading. They also have templates that can be used for making an anchor and other ship related items.
amason is offline   Reply With Quote

MelisM318

Old 09-08-2006, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Can you be more specific on where to find the info on the Scholastic website? I tried searching, but only got book titles. Thanks

MelisM318 is offline   Reply With Quote