visual behavior chart for K students - ProTeacher Community

mwkteacher

visual behavior chart for K students
Old 08-01-2006, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new member here and I am wondering what other teachers are using for behavior management in a kindergarten classroom. I was thinking about clothes pins and different colors for different levels such as warning, second warning, etc. Any ideas would be welcomed as this is my first year teaching kindergarten. Thanks

mwkteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tish

3 circles...
Old 08-01-2006, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1 green 1 yellow 1 red laminate all three and you clothespins.
I think for the little ones this is very easy to visualize.
Could also put in the middle of the circle..green (go) Yellow (slow down or warning) red (stop)
tish is offline   Reply With Quote
JulieO6

JulieO6

management plan
Old 08-01-2006, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think that is a great idea. My plan is similar. I am having 4 colors associated with the four levels. Green is the first level. This means they need to keep doing what they are doing. There choices are the right ones. Second level is yellow-slow down think about your choices. Third level is red-talked with student a second time and now they need to leave the group and think about the choice they should have made. Fourth level is black-We need to call parent about this behavior, or send to another class for timeout, possible administration assistance. We don't tolerate this type of behavior.
The students move their clothespin. For the students who get green for the entire week they get a treat. Later in the year you can set the goal higher for 1.5 week etc. All students who got a treat need to be encouraged to keep it up. If they had to move their pins discuss goals for the next week. If they improved the next week, you need to be aware and encourage those kids. Possibly giving stickers for improvement. One way is to keep track of each kid is to write down what color they are on at the end of the day and keep it on a calendar.

KTeachVA

behavior sticks
Old 08-02-2006, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What I use are craft sticks in a pocket. Each child has their own library pocket on the whiteboard at the front of the room. (Their name is on it.) In each pocket, there is a green, yellow, and red stick. (Again, these are just the wooden, colored craft sticks.)

Students usually get a verbal warning first. After that, if they break a rule, they are to pull their green stick. (Warning) Then, yellow stick is loss of afternoon center time. Pulling a red stick indicates loss of majority of center time and a red sad face stamp goes on the monthly calendar in the child's folder on today's date. (We put a green happy face on each student's calendar everyday if they have not pulled their all their sticks.) A note or phone call, as well.

What I like about the sticks is that they are color-coded so the students have the visual, like we've discussed. Also, at the beginning of the year, I pull the sticks out of the pocket, but after a few weeks, the students are responsible for going up and pulling their own stick.

There was only a handful of times all year I had students go and pull their red sticks. They hated not having all of them and we discussed what they could do to not pull sticks--follow all the rules. :-) I know this is hard for 5 and 6 years olds because, like humans, they're not perfect all the time. THis is why they get a verbal warning and then when they do pull their first stick, the green one, this is a "stronger" warning.

We also earn marbles as a class and when we get a certain amount, the whole class gets a treat. As far as my managament plan, this works great!! It's so easy to do and keep up with for the teacher and is easy for the K kids to understand. I have a little notebook on the whiteboard ledge and everyday, I scan the pockets to see who doesn't have all of their sticks and I just write down the names real quick. (I like to keep this for my own benefit.)
KTeachVA is offline   Reply With Quote

CarrieC

Another behavoir mangmt. idea
Old 08-02-2006, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Along with the green, yellow, red cards, I post up "bingo cards" for each student (I used to keep them on the students' tables, but they didn't last, would be destroyed, colored on, etc...So instead I post them on a wall close to my centers chart). I would give the students a stamp, small sticker, check, X some type of mark when I saw good behavior, when I wanted to reward a student for their extra work, etc. When the card was full the student got to get a prize from the prize box.
In addition to that, for everyday that the students stay on the green light (good behavior no major problems) they get a stamp on their card.
I do NOT take stamps away for bad behavior! I just move clips...

My mom does a similar thing for 1st grade. She gives tickets for good behavior/stays on green each day and when the students get 20 tickets or so they can "buy" prizes with their tickets. Tickets can never be taken away, but if they are lost, that's too bad. This way the students have a sense of ownership.

CarrieC is offline   Reply With Quote

judy

behavior
Old 08-03-2006, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I simply use those incentive mini charts ( one for each person). I hang them up in my classroom. At the end of the day children who had a good day are given a sticker on their chart. Unexceptable behavior is all discussed at this time. When the child has 20 stickers they are invited for a Pizza lunch with the teacher at our local pizzaria. I find this works well and have been doing it for about 15 years.
judy is offline   Reply With Quote
hopp13

hopp13

Discipline
Old 08-04-2006, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use a cut out of three large apples laminated. (green, yellow, and red). I use magnets to put them on the side of my desk. Each child has a paper leaf with their name on it and a magnet also.

All students every day start on the green apple.

When I ask the child to change their behavior or make a better choice, that is considered a warning. If the child continues to do the behavior, they move their name to yellow. If the behavior continues, they move their leaf to red and have a 5 minute time out at their table spot with head down to think about why they are sitting out. After 5 minutes, I ask the child why and usually they can tell you. Then I ask if they could think of another way to handle something. I do send a note home or call when it is on red.

Hope this helps.

VA teacher

Another idea
Old 08-06-2006, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I "borrowed" this idea from my supervising teacher when I did my student teaching in first grade. I have a 24 piece puzzle (several actually) and I put sticky magnets on the back of each piece. Each time my class earns a compliment outside our room from another teacher or resource member we do a silent cheer and they get to put up a puzzle piece. Now the big thing is SILENT cheer. We do this by raising our hands in the air and open our mouths like we are cheering but no one makes a sound. I sure would hate to have my class earn a compliment and then scream in the hall. When we get all 24 pieces up on the filing cabinet (or whiteboard this year) they get a special treat. Now I tell my kids all year that I am so busy at night I never have time to make special treats likes cookies or cupcakes, etc. So when we earn our treat I let them decide what kind of treat they want. Most of the time they finish their puzzle around spring and they vote and decide on ice cream sundaes. This is great for me but I also have the time to bake them something. But telling them how hard it is for me is an advantage because sometimes I will tell them I have the perfect snack in mind. I will bake them something and they "know" I took special time for them at home. One hint of advice....number the backs of the puzzle pieces so you don't have to hunt for the next piece. I put my puzzle together, flipped it over, numbered each piece, attached my magnet and then put them back in the box with the 24 on the bottom and 23 on top, etc. Makes it a lot easier and quicker then searching for the next piece.
VA teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mwkteacher

visual behavior chart for K Students
Old 08-15-2006, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks to all who sent me some wonderful ideas. It really is wonderful to hear what others are doing and to share ideas.
mwkteacher is offline   Reply With Quote