Fun ways to present research - ProTeacher Community

dmamec

Fun ways to present research
Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any creative ways to have kids present research?

I have had kids make posters, write reports, do powerpoints, do brochures, etc.

Does anyone have any other cool projects or other unique ways for kids to present research on a topic?

I need something new!!!!!!!!!!!

dmamec is offline   Reply With Quote

4thGradeNV

file folders
Old 03-20-2009, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I found this an another web-site, but can't remember where. But you use a file folder and fold it so that the edges meet in the middle. You can fold out the right and left sides and then in the middle of the inside you have them staple their report. I'm doing a state report, so on the left side they have pictures of their state symbols along with captions to explain what they are. On the left flap, there is a timeline about the state's history. On the front, they have the name of the state, their name and grade, and a map of the state. Then on the back, there is a map of the entire US with only their state colored in.

I liked it because it's small and allows the kids to show off a lot of information about their state. Plus, file folders are easily found!!
4thGradeNV is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-20-2009, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am going to attempt it with some of my first graders with lapbooks.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

doodle730

make a commercial/"documentary"
Old 03-20-2009, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our library has one video camera, so I borrowed it last year. My students had done research projects (their very first), and I let them choose a topic they were interested in. I also let them choose how to present their information. A 2-3 minute commercial/"documentary" was one of the choices. About 10 students chose to present that way, and their presentations were wonderful! It was a fun way to incorporate technology and let the students think "outside the box" a bit.

Just in case you don't have a video camera to use, I remember doing something similar in high school. We used a blank cassette tape to record a "radio commercial". We played it for the class as our presentation. I remember it clearly...we were studying the 1920s. My group (me and 3 boys!) did a commercial about why people should join the women's suffrage movement
doodle730 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

Old 03-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach sixth grade and e have our kids do an old-school "science-fair" style presentation about their ancient Egypt research every year.

They have to make a 3-fold poster board that shows off the main points for their research, have hand outs with sources identified, and have an interactive piece for the people visiting their booth (ex: trivia games, food sampling, etc...)

We reserve the cafeteria and half the kids do their presentation while the other half visits the booths, and then they swap. Everyone gets to share their knowledge, and parents come too....it's a great way for the kids to show off all their hard work.

mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

Old 03-20-2009, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

have the student write Jeprody questions under the categories they would need and then call up groups of 3 to play until all information has been shared. See which row or group gets the most points and have a treat.
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote