Help

ARCHIVE

random acts of kindness

>

BookMuncher

random acts of kindness
Old 08-01-2006, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In our district, every student must be involved in a service-learning project every year. Usually first grade all works together to collect pennies for something-or-another-- I don't even remember! It's not very meaningful for the kids because it's not close enough to them. I'd like to do something on my own this year, but don't want to overwhelm the local nursing homes-- it seems like they get every other grade.

One idea I have is to do Random Acts of Kindness throughout the year. I would let the kids decide what Random Acts they want to do, but I feel like I need some good examples to help them along. Ex: One year we snuck over to another teacher's room and taped lollipops under all the desks.

Any Random Acts of Kindness for the school setting that cost very little to no money?? OR any other ideas for service projects that would be meaningful?

Thanks!

BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

some ideas
Old 08-01-2006, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi BookMucher,

Since you like books so much perhaps your service project could be book related. Maybe collected gently used books for a Battered Women's Shelter or something. One year a teacher I taught with had the kids bring in supplies like toiletries to bring to a homeless shelter around Christmas time.

For the Random Acts of Kindness, it would probably be the most meaningful if it was something you observed that person needed or would like. Some things I would do around my school are write anonymous notes to a class that walked quietly in the hallway, offer your students as readers to a younger class so a stressed out teacher can take a short break, etc.
Sasha B is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

How about
Old 08-01-2006, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Books for dr's offices?
I love my dr's office but there is nothing for kids..

Maybe even color books and colors?
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingSarah

Check this book out
Old 08-01-2006, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Check this book out of your library.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...120859?ie=UTF8

I use it EVERY year. Read it to the students and let them come up with their own random acts of kindness.

My students have come up with amazing things!
TeachingSarah is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 08-01-2006, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach 8th Humanities. Since this is an elective in our disctrict, I decided on my curriculum. One main component I had was teaching my kids what it means to be a good citizen. I bought "Pay It Forward" from Clean Films and showed it to my kids. If you go to the Pay It Forward website, they have a lot of good ideas as well as some lesson plans.

I had my kids read some of the Pay It Forward stories, then describe ways people can pay it forward. I had them write an essay about a person they knew, or a famous person, that has paid it forward. Finally, they had to come up with three concrete ways they could pay it forward, and act on at least one of them.

HTH
Jenny

JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

Jenny
Old 08-02-2006, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the suggestion... I also found this website that I registered on. I'm thinking older kids would really like it. It's called the Giving Game:

http://www.givinggame.com/

It's a pay it forward theme. You print out some Giving Game cards-- then, you do an act of kindness for someone and leave the card with it. Hopefully, they follow the directions on the card, which requires them to type the special number in on the website. Then, they can type what you did for them, and then they pay it forward. You can continue to track that one card as people pay it forward all over the county and the world. I'm not quite sure my first graders will understand, but I might incorporate it anyways. Or, I might just do it on my own!!

JRichard

Old 08-02-2006, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm sorry when I was posting, I couldn't remember what grade you taught. Of course, even the clean version of Pay It Forward wouldn't be appropriate. But I think they could understand the model of the pay it forward concept. The one person doing three, the three each doing another three.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. PIF has something similar, but does not "track" their PIF ideas. That would be neat for them.

Jenny
JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

jdonick

Giving Game
Old 08-02-2006, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I offered the Giving Game to an advisory group in middle school and sent some of the cards out on my own. I loved reading what others had written and watching the cards move. Just a suggestion - kids typically need parent help - even my middle schoolers did. So you might want to send a letter home to parents and come up with a way to get them involved and motivated first!
jdonick is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

jdonick
Old 08-02-2006, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for the tip! Did your cards get very far??

MaryMac

To TeachingSarah
Old 08-02-2006, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I love the books, but I teach 5th grade. Do you think the books are geared for younger kids or would they be appropriate for mey 10-11 year olds?

MaryMac is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingSarah

Both younger and older
Old 08-02-2006, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have been a homeroom teacher from grades 2-8. I have used the chicken soup stories up to grade 6. My grade 6 students LOVED the story as I used to introduce our care partner activity. I think that if you approach it properly, the students will not have an issue with it. My students LOVED doing random acts of kindness for their little care partners and then for others.

TeachingSarah is offline   Reply With Quote

MaryMac

Thanks TeachingSarah
Old 08-02-2006, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think I will go ahead and buy it for my kids.
MaryMac is offline   Reply With Quote