Help

ARCHIVE

Help me think of an idea...

>

Sasha B

Help me think of an idea...
Old 08-01-2006, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My 2nd graders have to remember a five digit ID number for purchasing lunch and checking out books. At the beginning of the year I want all my students to have the number written down to make it easier to do these things. As the year goes on only the students who have a difficult time memorizing the number carry it with them.

Any suggestions for having the number written down? I've tried index cards, but they get lost and dirty very easily. Last year I used the ID badge name tags - the kind that are a plastic sleeve with an elasticy cord. These worked great but the cords got tangled very easily.

I'm looking for the idea I must be overlooking!

Sasha B is offline   Reply With Quote

Mom4a_and_c

name tag
Old 08-01-2006, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about the rubber band bracelets. You know, like the livestrong ones. I see cheap ones in Oriental Trading and other places. You could write their name and number on the underside with a permanent marker.

Marie from PA
Mom4a_and_c is offline   Reply With Quote

Gloria

Marie
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's a great idea!
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteach

What about
Old 08-01-2006, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

a wooden clothespin? My students sign up for lunch (hot lunch, PB&J, salad, or brought lunch) using a clothes pin. They simply move it from who's here to their choice. They could clip it to the bottom of their shirt until the memorized it. I would write names (and numbers if needed) directly on the clothespin. They last all year too.
NCteach is offline   Reply With Quote

NCP

Lunch cards......Yuck!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our cafeteria people make the kids lunch cards out of laminated index cards and they are sooooo gross!!! I refuse to even hold them to pass them out. The kids chew them, fold them, suck on them....eewwww! But I love the bracelet idea!

NCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Clothespins
Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did the clothespin idea with first graders. It worked wonders. After a few months, none of my kids needed to take them anymore!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

maybe
Old 08-02-2006, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If they just memorize it the first week, then you won't have to make anything. I teach first grade, and they have to memorize a five digit number too. I make it the only "homework" for the first week of school, sending home a page that says:

HOMEWORK
Please have your child memorize this five digit number by next week. We'll use it for lunch and other things. Your child's number is ________.

Last year, all the parents took it seriously and everyone knew it. Now, there were a couple little ones who just couldn't quite retain it. So, what I had prepared ahead were some sticky labels from Staples (the little kind). I had pre-written everyone's number on the labels, and before we went to lunch, I would ask if there was anyone who didn't know there number and if they wanted a label (sometimes just for the security of it) I would stick it upside down on bottom inside of their shirts so that they could just flip it up when they needed it.

(I would suggest really getting serious about having them memorize, because I gave them things to help them remember my first year, and some of them used it the whole year, never actually learning it)
BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 08-02-2006, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We put it on index cards around their necks but upside down so when they looked down at their shirt they could read the number. Does that make sense? Once they'd put it in and taken their things to the table, they put their number in the basket at the end of our table.

I also make mine practice it at the beginningof the year for homework. Our numbers are 7 digits like a phone number and the keypad looks like a phone's so we give each child a print out of a BIG keypad with their number written at the top and they keep it in their daily communication folder so hey have it to practice on for homework and then at school. I then have my assistant "quiz them" and take a checklist. I tell them when the WHOLE CLASS learns their number I'll reward them with an extra 5 minutes of recess. That really gets them helping each other and positively encouraging each other to learn that number. Sorry if my post isn't coherent. I just woke up!
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

is there any "trick" to the numbers?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My kids have to memorize a number as well (3rd grade). As it turned out, everyone in my class had the same 1st two digits, then the other 3 were different. We learned to say the 1st two digits as a number, such as twelve, then say the other 3--like twelve, one, nine, three; or 12, 4, 35. Breaking it up into smaller numbers seems to make it easier for them to memorize.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote