Curriculum Night Ideas - ProTeacher Community

annek

Curriculum Night Ideas
Old 08-02-2006, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for ideas that my students can make/do for parent/curriculum night. It will be after only having the students for a week, but I want to impress :-) the parents!!! What do you normally have your students create for that night? THANKS!!!

annek is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

Letter to Parent
Old 08-02-2006, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This year we are having our parent night before school starts, so I won't be able to have the students make anything. Last year I had them write a letter to someone they thought would be coming telling them about our first week. Then when the parent/grandparent/guardian came, they wrote a little note back to the child. They seemed to enjoy doing this. The students who did not have anyone come had a note from me. The kids liked coming back to a note on their desk (even if it was just from me).
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
2ndgrTeach.

2ndgrTeach.

Open House/Curriculum Nights
Old 08-02-2006, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi!

I usually trace the kids' hands on tag board, have them cut it out and write their names in the middle saying "Jane's Handy Work." I then laminate and hot glue to a clothespin. I also glue a magnet strip on the back of it. My chalkboard is magnetic, so I put them up on the board for the parents to take home. I also have the kids copy a back to school poem on special paper to clip in the handy work hand. I tell them to put these on the fridge for spelling words or the weekly schedule I send home. It's also handy having it on the board, so that at the end of the evening, I can quickly see who came!

Good luck

Nicholettev

A few ideas for Back to School Night
Old 08-02-2006, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Depending on what kind of Back to School Night you have, depends on what you can do or not do. At my old school, it was basically a night for kids to show their parents the classroom, meet me and the other teachers. My new school, it's only for the parents to attend and it's for me to explain what second grade will be like for the kids. Because our back to school night is like that we have something called, Sweet Second Grade Spotlight where kids come in with their parents and show them the things we are working on. This takes place in Janaury. Here are some things I have done in the past or continue to do each year depending on the kind of night you have.

1) I have my kids make a pretty big self portrait of themselves. I then tape it onto the back of their chairs so it looks like the kids are actually sitting in their seat. This is WAY CUTE and my favorite!

2) Math Center- I have a word problem for the parents to solve with the kids. It usually entails solving a problem and graphing something.

3) Kids write their parents a letter and the parents write them back stating a goal they would like to have their child accomplish.

4) I usually have a question, comment and compliment box for parents to drop me an idea.

5) A To Do List on things for the kids and parents to see and do while they are in the school.

6) Art project- Usually related to SS or Science unit. Example, I have prepared craft materials for families to make insects and then they need to name them. (We study Insects). I have also had families create a pattern necklace.

7) Fill out a family community poster. This is a poster I have created that looks like a house and in each room, the kids need to answer a question about their family.

8) Have students introduce their parent to me and the other teachers.

9) Have students introduce their parent to another student's parent they don't already know in the class.

10) Have parents sign up for conferences, volunteering, field trips, etc.

11) You could have the kids create a BINGO sheet with either math problems, facts about the class or school, facts about kids in the room, etc and then play.

12) I always have a compliment card for parents to fill out for their child so that the next day, the kids will have a special note from their parents. If a parent does not come, I write it for the child.

13) When I present to the parents, I always hand out materials required from my school and district. I also hand out my survival guide.

I hope these inspire you in some way!

Smiles and good luck!
Nicholette
Nicholettev is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

classroom photos
Old 08-02-2006, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This year, I'm going to go on a tour with my first graders (b/c it's new to a lot of them) and take digital photos of different places. Then, I'm going to print them out black and white and have each child make a caption underneath one and display the photos on a School Tour bulletin. Since your kids probably don't need that, maybe they could make a board that introduces their parents to their new classroom and what they do and where.

BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ksweets514

If the kids come too . . .
Old 08-02-2006, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One of the best ideas for younger elementary kids (1st or 2nd) is to have them draw a large portrait of their mom and a large portrait of their dad (or whomever is going to come to this night). Then, when they all come in, make the parents find their students seat based on finding their portraits on their desks. Kids absolutely love watching their parents search for their pictures. Parents usually get a kick out of the pictures. It's fun watching the parents try not to laugh when they see their child's view of them. It isn't academic but something both kids and adults seem to enjoy. Hope this helps!
Ksweets514 is offline   Reply With Quote
nywahls

nywahls

Old 08-27-2006, 12:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hey. We usually do ours in the day and we only have 45 minutes. I have always just made sure any of the students work was displayed: A math workshop game, a self-portrait, their hopes and dreams for the year, the summer reading assignment, etc. Then the kids make the invitations to the curriculum conference and the welcome poster. I make the parents a parent survival bag with some fun stuff inside: A tooth pick so you can pick out the good qualities in your child, A Starburst, for those days when you need a burst of energy, Smarties for those times that you don't feel so smart, A Hershey's Kiss/Hug for when you need a little extra love...you get the idea. It's always a hit. You can get creative with that.

pinkprincess5

Great idea
Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

These are all Great ideas, our parents night is on Thursday for about 45 in the classroom. I will definently use these thanks everyone
pinkprincess5 is offline   Reply With Quote