Behavior Report or Weekly Calendar - ProTeacher Community

First2no

Behavior Report or Weekly Calendar
Old 08-02-2006, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been reading your posts about behavior mgmt, and I was wondering if some of you could attach the weekly behavior calendar that you send home for parents to view.

Do you find that a written report to the parents on daily altercation (some may be pretty minor) may sometimes escalate tensions between teacher and parent? I think it's important to keep parents informed and involved; however, there have been times (mostly with children who are repeat offenders) when I've thought a daily or weekly report about a child's innapropriate behaviors just might make the parent more defensive and hostile.

In these instances, I feel it's best to deal with logical consequence in the classroom myself. If things are getting out of hand, I find an occasional phone call to Mom or Dad is met with less resistance, especially if I've made it a point to send home good news reports and made good news phone calls prior to the call. That way, I have paved the way for the not so great news I sometimes have share with a parent.
Besides, students need to know that their positive behavior is worth of a phone call to their parents, too.

I am not disregarding the weekly send home reports, but was wondering how others felt. Again, if someone could attach one for me to view, perhaps this would help.

f2n

First2no is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

weekly reports...
Old 08-02-2006, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For the past three years I have taught third grade. I have also sent home a weekly behavior report with ALL students. They parent then initials it and sends it back. I found that parents appreciated the feedback and then it also made report cards much easier to fill out. I had things on there like: turns in work on time, follows directions, etc. The things that are under work/behavior habits on the report card. I gave them a + for exceptional behavior, a check for good behavior, and I for improving and a - for needs improvement.

I am thinking of revamping it a bit for this year as I am working with first graders.

Amy
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

judyf

Old 08-02-2006, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been doing the weekly reports for over 10 years and each year I am met with great appreciation. In fact, when my students have moved on, parents have often come back to me to let me know they miss that weekly communication. I also provide a place on the report for teacher comments and parent comments and that is helpful - let's the parents know I value what they think. Certainly there have been tough situations that have required an immediate phone call and I deal with those as they come up.
judyf is offline   Reply With Quote

First2no

Could you attach a copy o your weekly report?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would really appreciate being able to review it.
Thanks,
f2n
First2no is offline   Reply With Quote

nblions

Behavior cards
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do the flip cards for behavior (in 1st) and they have a weekly slip attached in their folder where they color in what their card was. If it was changed more than once, I will write and let parents know why. I like for them to see it so they aren't surprised at behavior and cooperation grades. They sign the slip each night.

nblions is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 08-02-2006, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here's what I do. I put a newsletter (with the weekly part on the bottom) and my behavior calendar for september. I hope they help.
Attached Files
File Type: doc September Behavior.doc (84.5 KB, 592 views)
File Type: doc Sept Newsletter.doc (42.5 KB, 275 views)
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

judyf

sorry
Old 08-02-2006, 09:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

All my stuff is on my computer at school - maybe this description can help. Max pts a day is 4 (4 cards). If no card is pulled, kid gets a 4. If one pulled, a 3, etc. Max for the week is 20. Categories to pull a card: not following directions, not keeping hands to themselves, line up behavior, off task, constant talking, missing assignment, other. Each time a card is pulled, I indicate on the form the reason. For the totals at the end of the week: 20=great week, 18-19=good week, 16-17=satisfactory week, under 16=needs improvement. Hope this helps somewhat.
judyf is offline   Reply With Quote

shantina

Old 08-03-2006, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Instead of doing a weekly behavior report, I write a note to each parent in the student's Friday Folder. It could be about behavior if needed but mostly I write about academics. For the kids who need constant support with their behavior, I have set-up daily reports. I do make sure that I talk to the parents about this type of report before I start it to be sure that we are in agreement. I don't do this for every student because I feel that is a lot of time to devote each day.
shantina is offline   Reply With Quote

benosayi

Old 08-21-2006, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks, VAteacher for the newsletter. I am going to try this.
benosayi is offline   Reply With Quote

Miquell

Va Teacher
Old 09-28-2006, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi, I was looking at your behavior chart and I thought you had a previous one. The one I saw before had two different calendars on the same page. the top one was for behavior the bottom one was for classwork do you still have that one or was that someone elses? Thank you. Elsa M
Miquell is offline   Reply With Quote

cinaminsweet

Miquell
Old 09-28-2006, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but this is the one I made that sounds like that.
Attached Files
File Type: doc My September Behavior Record.doc (36.0 KB, 400 views)
cinaminsweet is offline   Reply With Quote