First Day of school science activity - ProTeacher Community

Afaye

Afaye

First Day of school science activity
Old 08-03-2006, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for an exciting first day of school science activity for 4th graders. I would like it to relate to the beginning of school or to importance of rules and procedures or to character (that is a long shot). Has anyone ever done anything that I might use? Thanks!

Mrs. T.

bubbles
Old 08-03-2006, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

this may be a long shot...but...you could maybe use the bubble experiment, creating a bubble...poking a dry straw through it will pop the bubble...a wet straw will go completely through the bubble.
You could maybe relate the dry straw to harsh words that hurt us. The wet straw could be kind words and are shown not to hurt us. ????
The kids would have fun trying the experiment and blowing bubbles afterwards!

or...dry straw...without rules..our class "explodes"
wet straw...with rules we can work through anything???

I better quit...
Mrs. T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Sause

Thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

that is great. did you come up with that off the top of your head? Have you done this before. I love it. I might do that with my 6th graders.

Sause
Sause is offline   Reply With Quote
4thnewbie

4thnewbie

great idea!
Old 08-04-2006, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like this too, really wanting to frame my whole year in discovery learning and being 4th grade "investigators." But...the bubble thing (new to science, sorry) can you direct me to a site or info on the bubble experiment? THanks...great idea again!

IMSaved2

We had the author come to our school
Old 08-04-2006, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

http://www.bubblemania.com/stuff/bubbleology.html

This guy came to our school and gave a whole presentation on the science of bubbles - it was great! He even made different shape bubbles and put a student inside a bubble.

P.S. On a similar note, did you know you can poke a skewer thru a balloon if you soak it in oil first? I've tried it and it works!

IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Drops of water
Old 08-04-2006, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One fun thing is an experiment to see how many drops of water will sit on a penny. I used the five step scientific process with this. I divided the class into 5-6 groups. Each needs a medicine dropper (they should be identical), a cup of water, a penny, and writing supplies. First you state the problem: How many drops of water will sit on the penny without overflowing onto the desk? Second step - form a hypothesis. Have each student write down privately the number they think and then share their guess with the rest of their group. Third design the experiment: How high to hold the dropper, counting silently as the drops fall, deciding on the heads or tails side of the penny, considering how worn the penny is, etc. Fourth - each student drops water onto the penny while other members of the group count the drops and record the data. Finally, they form the conclusion: Did the results agree with their hypothesis?

I really like this activity because it requires little expense and the droppers can be used year after year and are available from a drug store (Wal-Mart for example), it generates excitement which is easily controlled, and it teaches the scientific process. Oh yes, and the result in surprising. Finally, if you are a real meanie, there is a way to sabotage a group, but who among us would do that?
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

jennmcg72

Sabotage???
Old 08-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Your whole sabatoge comment intrigues me....what do you mean?
jennmcg72 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliebee

wondering the same thing? sabatoge?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I didn't quite get that either? I am aloof? Oh well? I don't quite think that way in terms of sabatoging anything, even what adults do. Why would I try to sabatoge what a child does? Especially something I am choosing for them to do.
juliebee is offline   Reply With Quote

curlygirl2

she means...
Old 08-27-2006, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You can put something on the surface of the penny to stop it from holding so many drops... Maybe mix the water with soap ahead of time... the penny holds so many due to cohesion of molecules and surface tension... That would be mean!!!
curlygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

celestial987

penny experiment
Old 08-27-2008, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

the penny idea is great, but how do you relate that to the first day of school?
i'm doing 4th grade push-in for science so i've only got about 45 minutes with the kids. I'm stuck on what to do in the first day. i know i need to get to know the kids, setup rules & routines, but i also want to make sure i get some sort of science done! even if it is an experiment that i do and show to the children..
help!
:^)
celestial987 is offline   Reply With Quote