individual book boxes - ProTeacher Community

vateach10

individual book boxes
Old 04-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A recent post had me thinking. I have considered using magazine file boxes for my students to have individual book boxes to keep their just right books in. I am just concerned if it is worth the effort. My concerns are if I have enough books to do this and still have a classroom library. Also refiling is a big issue for me- I am bad at it!!!

Right now I feel like i have too many students to implement this (not to mention it is so late in the year). However, I am beginning to plan for next year.

If anyone has done or is doing this, I would appreciate any input. THANKS!

vateach10 is offline   Reply With Quote

yogi

Old 04-05-2009, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have the kids put their own books away and check out new ones once per week.

You could also use gallon sized ziploc bags.

How many books do you have in your classroom library?
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote

suzrob

I use them
Old 04-05-2009, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got white magazine boxes from Ikea - they were really cheap. My students decorate their box in the beginning of the year. They choose about 3-5 books from my shelf. Every Friday they can change out their books. I do not have any thing leveled and many are non-fiction. It is ok if some are too hard to read they share with each other and sometime check them out to take home for family reading.
suzrob is offline   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

I am
Old 04-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

using zip lock bags this year. Next year I want to get these plastic baskets from the Dollar Tree. The have handles and are big enough to fit several books, their poetry journal, and a small dry erase board for word work.
rubyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

practice

I use
Old 04-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

cardboard magazine files as indiv. book bins for the students. I use the leveled books from our school bookroom for this purpose. The kids also get one day a week to choose a book from my classroom library to add to their box. I empty out their boxes when they get full.
So, the books in their boxes are leveled for them. They get these books from me after a reading group or running record/indiv. conference. They also choose a book from the classroom library they want to read.
They do get full quick and I have used these cardboar boxes 2 years now. Some have been taped repeatedly. I just bought plastic ones for next year.

practice is offline   Reply With Quote

crazyeights

I have
Old 04-05-2009, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

used bookboxes for 4 years now. I had a professional development workshop with someone who used them for her classroom. I adapted it. Actually, my parents had given me a gift certificate to Lakeshore Learning so I bought the boxes from them (with a storage holder). Last year I bought some extra boxes but the students have taken really good care of them so I only had to replace 2. Any leveled readers the students have read during guided reading go in their book box. They also have selections they choose from our library. I love using them because it really cuts down on the congregating in the library area.
crazyeights is offline   Reply With Quote

twodals

I have them too.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also have the Lakeshore Learning set-up. I bought two racks and the individual boxes with a gift card after the holidays. It works very well for my class. I did tape up the sides and bottoms of the boxes so they will last. The kids even carry the boxes with them when we go to visit our preschool reading buddies!
twodals is offline   Reply With Quote

abra123

Book Boxes
Old 04-05-2009, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I bought mine from Lakeshore ... here's a picture.

I have a classroom library that I will show a picture of, and also leveled book bins. They choose 4 choice books from the classroom library and 4 leveled books from the leveled bins to keep in their book bin. They go book shopping once a week. It took some time to get my leveled bins going, but it is so worth it. I have some Rigby and other book company books, but also leveled many of my own using the Scholastic site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-729S.JPG (23.3 KB, 276 views)
abra123 is offline   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

book boxes
Old 04-05-2009, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I bought canvas bags from Michael's. I gathered extra %off coupons from staff so I didn't pay full price. They do hold quite a bit. I first stored them all in a large plastic storage container, but now each team takes up a drawer in a 3 drawer rolled chest that is near their desks.
liberty teach is offline   Reply With Quote

abra123

A pic of the classroom library ...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here is the classroom library ... on the windowsill are bins of random titles, and on the shelf in plastic bins are theme ones (Clifford, Franklin, Junie B, Froggy, etc.) I have each bin labeled with a tag and picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-723S_01.JPG (89.0 KB, 233 views)

abra123

A pic of the leveled bins ...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

These are the bins where I keep the leveled books (different from my guided reading books) ... at the time I took this picture, I had one bin for each letter, but have since gotten two more book racks with bins and have increased it to two bins for each letter A-L, and one bin M+.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-730S_01.JPG (80.6 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by abra123; 04-05-2009 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: to add the picture

SuzieQB

Are you talking about kid boxes?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I wasn't sure if you were trying to think of what to have the students use to keep their books in? Or what to store your books for your library in?
My students use cereal boxes with the top/side cut off to look like magazine file boxes. They can fit 5-6 books in them, and if they become flimsy during the year, they just bring in a new cereal box.
If you're talking about what to keep them in for your library, I ordered the hard plastic magazine file boxes from Really Good Stuff.
My students refile their own on Fridays when they shop for new books -- each book has the leveled letter on the cover, and each file book has the letter as well, so they know where to put it back. And my class librarian checks a couple of times each week just to make sure nothing got filed in the wrong place.
SuzieQB is offline   Reply With Quote

tcheeme

Old 04-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I use the white ice tray for my kid's reading boxes and I've had these for at least 5 years. I just change the names each year. My kids shop for books maybe every two weeks by group( afew may shop sooner). I think it's ok to keep books and read them over and over. That's how your kids will get better and more confident at reading. Just a thought!!
tcheeme is offline   Reply With Quote

vateach10

Wow Thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks for all of the input. I was talking about book boxes for the kids to primarily hold leveled books from guided reading or books they have taken home and read. I have at least 10 books per level and a large genre/author selection in my classroom. I just didn't want to run into the problem of someone looking for a book, but it is in someone's box, etc. I also don't want kids to feel compelled not to stretch themselves and try something harder or to limit their choices.

Abra123, Thanks for the pictures and suggestions.

I actually bought the boxes form IKEA but my class size grew so quickly that I have just put it off. Right now I don't feel I have enough room for the boxes
vateach10 is offline   Reply With Quote

hilder

Another Idea...Chair Pockets
Old 04-06-2009, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I ran out of room in my classroom this year to store my book boxes (I had the cardboard magazine files from Ikea too), so I ended up getting chair pockets for the children to use instead. The kids know they are only for holding their reading workshop materials, and they are really working well. One bonus is that the kids have their books at their seat at all times, so it is less disruptive when they are retrieving their books to read.
hilder is offline   Reply With Quote

nansue

wow, chair pockets...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Chair pockets are a great idea, thanks! My kids use cardboard magazine holders. It is the second year for them and they are ready to be thrown out. I have taped them way too many times. I also have some plastic magazine holders and those are holding up well, I guess I will wait to get some more when they go on sale. My kids shop for their new books every Friday morning.
nansue is offline   Reply With Quote

sirismommy

Every year
Old 04-06-2009, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I request cereal boxes sent from home. Then I take the biggest ones I get and cut them diagonally on both sides. I label the front with a name tag sized label with each child's name on it. We use some paper books, like phonics readers, as well as paper books from Reading a-z. Students file their books in these cereal boxes. They are quite full by now, but it gives them a great variety of readers they are familiar with and I don't have any extra paperwork for check-in/check out. Plus I know they are books that students can read, because we have worked on them in group.
sirismommy is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie02

Old 04-06-2009, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I use individual baskets I bought at the Dollar Tree, which the students keep their leveled books in from Guided Reading and our first grade reading club (checking out guided reading books to take home nightly). They also have a folder they use daily to store independent reading books, which are leveled free choice books they read during independent reading time daily, and write responses or talk to a partner about.
aggie02 is offline   Reply With Quote

westongirl

book boxes
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I used the two gallon zip bags for many years. Two years ago I bought baskets from the dollar store but many were destroyed by the end of the year. Falling on the floor from their desks cracked some of them. Long ago I bought the magazine boxes from WalMart for about $3 each. I used those for about 10 years and still use as storage for my library books (have 100s). Last summer I bought the file boxes that Target has for going back to school. They were $1 dollar and have held up very well. The Target boxes in my opinion are the best buy but you have a narrow window to get them in July or August.
westongirl is offline   Reply With Quote

karevan1120

white ice tray?
Old 04-10-2009, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I know this might sound silly-but what is a white ice tray? do you have a picture? where do you get them?
karevan1120 is offline   Reply With Quote

kandu001

Books
Old 04-25-2009, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I have my students keep their "checked out" books in a file pocket chart. It takes up very little space and works the same as the book boxes! I love it!
kandu001 is offline   Reply With Quote