Gallup TeacherInsight Assessment - ProTeacher Community

Iluvteaching

Gallup TeacherInsight Assessment
Old 08-03-2006, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am frustrated. Many school districts where I live require you to take this online Gallup TeacherInsight Assessment before they even look at your application. If you do not pass this test they throw out your application and you might as well hang it up as far as teaching. Well I have taught for the past two years and have excellent references from principals and co-workers yet my answers on this assessment are not the "correct" ones. I have taken it several times and answer the questions honestly and to what I see fit for my philosophy of education. I had a job in the bag until I was told the last thing I needed to do was take this assessment. I did so and then never got a call back from the principal so I am assuming I did not answer it to their standards. This has happened on several occassions with different districts. Has anyone else taken this assessment? I don't know what to do now because even aide/para. jobs I apply for require you to take this. I feel hopeless!!

Laurie

Pam-IL

Pam-IL

Some similiar
Old 08-03-2006, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi
Haven't taken this exact exam - but we have something similiar here.

Key points I was told was child centered and always put him/her first.
Use buzz words and be familiar with educational philsophies.
Engagement, assessment and team player, too.

artlauro

artlauro

gallup assessment
Old 08-04-2006, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I took this assessment back in April and had the same experience. For those of you who have not had the "pleasure," this is a timed psychological screening. From research, they have discovered that prospective teachers who answer the statements in a particular way are more likely to be "very good" or "excellent" teachers.

In April, I had a screening interview @ a job fair and I felt it went very well. As a matter of fact, the interviewer asked me which of THREE positions I would prefer. She asked me to fill in an online application and take this assessment. The application had a lot of open ended questions which you can find on the internet (e.g., As a teacher it is important to command the respect of your students. Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not?). If you type something like this into a search engine, you will get links to similar questions and sample answers. I'm pretty sure I "nailed" this part of the application process. Next came the Gallup Assessment. Ugh. What psychological B.S. Did you notice they kept asking the same questions in different ways? My thought after taking the test is that they are looking to see if your answers are consistent. I can't remember any of the statements, but the format went something like this (but educationally related). I prefer Chinese food to Mexican food... and then there was a rating scale:
1. strongly disagree, 2. disagree, 3. neutral, 4. agree, 5. strongly agree. 20 questions later, there would be another statement: " I do not like Chinese food as much as I like Mexican food" and the same 5 choices.

I ended up overthinking all of my answers and trying to remember what my answer was to a previous, related statement. Someone later advised against selecting neutral as a response. Needless to say, I wasn't offered the job. This turned out to be a blessing because I got a job in a better school district for a significantly higher salary.

My advice would be to try to be consistent, not overthink your answers and hope for the best. Now that I have described the assessment, maybe there is a psychology major out there who can tell you what kind of answers this type of assessment is looking for.

Good luck Laurie.

-Laura

just me

just me

I did it
Old 08-06-2006, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I took it and never got a job either for the school district I took it for. A friend of mine that majored in Psych first said she could pass it in a heartbeat. She never got a job in that district either. I did however get an awesome job in an awesome school district where I wasn't psychologically analyzed. I'm still there and love it!

Yes I did notice it asked the same questions over and over again. I used all the educational buzz words at the time and thought I did great. Guess not. I think we should get a copy of our results at the end.

artlauro

artlauro

Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree. The least they could do is tell us that we didn't get the job based on the assessment. I also got a job in a district that didn't use this assessment. However, I was asked to take the Myers-Briggs personality test (after I was hired). I am supposed to get the results and attend a related seminar on the first day of orientation. Has anyone else taken this test?
L.

agarci

agarci

test
Old 08-18-2006, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Moving recently from CA to TX, I am surprised on how hard it is to get a job here in TX. Everyone keeps telling me there is a teacher shortage here. I have not seen that as of yet. I also have taken this test 3 times and don't get it. I even emailed the Gallup people to give them my 2 cents and got some standard corporate bs answer. For those of you who don't know, CA has one of the strictest teaching credentialing programs out there. One has to pass 2 major tests just to get into student teaching, and then there is a 3rd major test to get the credential. Then you get only receive a preliminary teaching credential, but that's not all folks, you then have to attend Beginning teacher and Assessment(more teaching classes)the first 2 years of teaching, required by the state, then you can apply for your CA clear credential. If the districts are trying to weed out "bad" teachers with this test, then maybe they should start turning to the state board of education to make a more rigorous teaching credential program, like CA's. My cousin only had to student teach here in TX for 3 months and then she got a job! What kind of credentialing program is that?

Arlene

Arlene

Old 08-25-2006, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What is considered passing on this test? Does anyone know?

Thank you
Arlene

Lily1

Lily1

Teacher
Old 10-02-2006, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Just took the Gallup...What the hell? I answered honestly, but can't say that I did well. I'd like to hear from someone who did do well. What are the keys to passing this thing? I am an award winning teacher...and can't believe I'd be denied an interview because of one test.

Unemployed

Unemployed

Old 10-05-2006, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also took this test and I am sure that it is the reason I did not get hired. I find it foolish to completely disregard someone's application just because of one test. Why don't they check references, it seems better to talk to people who actually know a person instead of looking at a computer score to determine how well a person might do in the classroom. I am very frustrated and I agree that they should give you your score when finished.

Merm

Merm

That test!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi, this is the first time here, I did a search on the Teacherinsight test becaue I too just finished taking it. I felt horrible by the time I was done. I'm sure I didn't pass. I just felt like there were answers that were not me, but I was forced to pick one.

They should let us do the test before we even bother filling out their applications. What a process! It took me hours and hours to fill out this school district's application. And if that's all thrown out because of this gallup test, it just doesn't seem fair.

Now, I have to just wait and probably won't even get an email saying yes or no.

1stgradenew

Taken it twice
Old 01-01-2007, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

and got offered a job from both districts. I answered the questions honestly. Like a poster above said I think they are looking for your answers to be child centered and in the best interest of the students. At the district I work at now I know someone who knows the Asst. Super and he mentioned to her that I did outstanding on the test. The trickiest (sp ?) part I thought was the all wording of the questions like once it would say I get along well with others and then 3 questions later it would say I don't get along well with others....and it's timed so you start to freak.

So my advice would be answer honestly
Merm

Merm

Gallup Test
Old 01-03-2007, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think you could answer honestly and still not pass--meaning you're not the kind of teacher they want.

One of the questions I remembered was, "I am 100% loyal to my school" or something like that. So, I'm like, "Well, what does that mean? Yes, I am loyal. I might not agree with everything but I try to be loyal. I mean how are you not loyal? What does a disloyal teacher do?" So, you have these arguments in your head trying to figure out, are you loyal or aren't you. What if helping a student means that you have to be disloyal, you have to break the rules? What if the rules were made to be followed even if you don't agree with them. Agggghhhhh!

martin63701

martin63701

Insight to Insight
Old 02-17-2007, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Ok, after taking the test about 10 times, I think I have finally figured out what they are looking for. The following link should help us all. Good Luck!

http://www.careercenter.ilstu.edu/downloads/pdfs/TeacherInsightBehavioralInterv iewThemes.pdf

birthwarrior

I took this assessment...
Old 02-27-2007, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

And it also cost me a job. The funny thing is, I got a job in a district neighboring the one where I lost the job, and have been very successful this year. The other school offered the position to someone else right before school started. That teacher quit in 2 weeks, and they've been functioning on subs ever since then. So much for the test, huh? Find it hard to believe that a constant string of subs is what they want! I recently found out that this particular district only hires teachers who score in the top 25%...whatever that means. There was an article about the assessment in the Monday Dallas Morning News about it... all the "better" (read, richer) school districts in the area seem to be using this assessment.

Whatever... and yeah, that loyalty thing bothered me. I'm not about being loyal to my employer 100%. That sounds like blind, mindless following to me. I answered that question strongly in the negative... probably not a good thing, huh?
Sandra D

Sandra D

Honesty question
Old 03-05-2007, 01:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I took this test for the first time yesterday after applying to one of Colorado's most prestigious school districts-- Cherry Creek. I answered honestly on the questions I thought had no "right" or "wrong" answers, and then I answered according to what I believed this school district wanted as the "right answer." I've been teaching 8 years so I know what real life in the classroom is all about. The question that threw me for a loop was "How do you convince people of your honesty?" I had a hard time choosing between "I explain my principles to them" and "I don't have to convince people of my honesty." I mean, who goes around trying to convince anyone that she's honest? It's just a bizarre question. I can't remember the other two answers. If anyone knows the "correct" answer to this, please tell us!

Also, I believe you should answer any of the questions about being personal with your students as far from that as possible. There are questions about seeking out students for private time, being emotional, sharing personal stories, being liked, etc. To me, the "right" answers will be that you are a robot teacher, not a real person at all.

If I don't hear anything from this school district, it will be hard to tell if it's because of the test or if it's because it's so hard to get into in the first place. I'm applying to two more districts here and they both require the test as well, so I'm trying to get all the "right" answers before I take it again.

Sandra D

Sandra D

On second thought...
Old 03-05-2007, 01:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Regarding my post above, I just read the article in the Dallas Morning News and pulled this section out:

<<<<But the school districts stand by Gallup. The company insists that the best teachers don't necessarily have the most subject knowledge, but know how to best connect with kids. TeacherInsight measures that innate talent, Gallup says.
"There's a whole lot more to teaching than just knowing knowledge and skills," said Richard Valenta, Birdville ISD's personnel services director. "Brilliant teachers don't produce brilliant students if they don't have relationships with them." >>>>

I know school districts nowadays don't want teacher/student scandals in the news, so they're trying to weed out the Debra LaFaves in their applicants. But at the same time, teachers have to have some kind of connection to their students, just not too personal. Arrrrgh....!

annamelissa

How do you know how you did?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Okay - so the district I currently work in has just added this to there application process. Since I was a certified person hired into a classified position last year, I now have to take it. And to be quite honest - after reading your posts, I am a bit nervous about it. Since one of you said that you took it ten times - how did you know you didn't do so well? Do they tell you??
Jon P

Jon P

Old 04-01-2007, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

To my understanding, no matter how many times you take the test, the results will essentially be the same -- that is if you are consistently honest. I have taken the test twice and I suggest not to stress too much about it. After all, what could be better than giving honest answers that reflect what you really believe in?

Also, do not try to answer how you think the district would like you to answer, that is where you will get messed up when the question is asked in a different way.

INtempteacher

INtempteacher

Gallup sucks
Old 04-23-2007, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I recently applied for a job at a brand new high school in Colorado and I was also required to take this test. I have taken it before and then was never called about that job. This time, my head hunter said the reason they didn't hire me was because my "scores were so low." WTF?? How does a computer know how to measure my performance in the classroom? Has it sat in on my discussion about war with my freshmen class where they get so excited that we all start clapping and cheering?? The last job I was teaching in, I did what Gallup obviously thinks you should do: I got close to a student. I tried to help her because I was taken in by lies about her home life. Her deceiptfulness eventually wound around my neck and cost me my job. It was either "step down," or be sued. BECAUSE I TRIED TO FORM "CLOSE RELATIONSHIPS" WITH MY STUDENTS, I WAS PUNISHED. Now, that girl is married to a millionaire, and I am still struggling to find a permanent position and pay my $65,000 in student loans. If the districts that use this test want the Mary K LeTourneaus of the world to be in a classroom, they really should just put out an ad that reads, "Wanted: one child molester to form intimate relationships with our planet's most valuable resource. Please be sure you know how to corrupt the innocent, and be able to pass the Gallup TeacherInsight Assessment."

Scores

Scores

Old 05-01-2007, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I found one article that said the mean of Certified teachers that took this assessment was 63.5. Does anyone know what score school districts are looking for? Are we expected to be significantly above the mean?

GALLUP=NO GO

GALLUP=NO GO

Gallup Consulting Methods are fatally flawed
Old 07-01-2007, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Yes, that's right, Gallup has wonderful psychometrics and have asked millions and millions (almost sounds like a popular burger chain!) questions in an attempt to help organizations hire and retain the best. Here's the irony: I worked for Gallup. In my hiring group there were approximately 12 people to start. A year later? Half that. Now? I think perhaps there may be one person still with Gallup (this after about 4 or 5 years). Clearly, Gallup cannot even achieve favorable results with hiring tools in-house. I left Gallup because of their conservative, old-school views and lack of opportunities within the company. I'd never go back, and although originally brainwashed that Gallup hiring/engagement tools are the be all, end all, I would never ever use them again. They have interesting literature, but I've seen their systems fail time and time again - and this from an in-house perspective. I can only imagine how many people Gallup has excluded from their "recommend to hire" list based on their faulted metrics.

Sir Francis

Sir Francis

Baffled Teacher With a Job
Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I took the test today to try and find something a little closer to home and I was amazed at how ridiculous this test was. Who is 100% loyal anyway? Oh, yeah the last time that was truly the case over six million innocent civilians were gassed and burned.

It amazes me that people think this test is going to somehow elimnate bad people from good. Yes, I am student centered, however, how much is too much?

I answered nuetral a couple of times, because I am not bothered when there is nothing to do in my life. Granted it may be a few days here and there, but there is nothing wrong with relishing in your family and enjoying life.

How can you be student oriented and team player all the while you are completely driven? Driven people step on the backs of whomever to get to the top, that is the prime reason. A type people are crappy teachers and yes, I like being around students and they like me as well as respect me.

Too bad there is not a lawsuit for this test, because it seems completely ludcrous.

Draye

Draye

True Insight
Old 07-13-2007, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

"For I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you."

I just took the test and I, too, felt anxious knowing that I was supposed to give careful consideration to each thought-provoking question.

It seemed as though some of the questions were a snare. First this way, then that way. Sure, I believe that having a good relationship with your students is key, but I wasn't sure if they were trying to determine if I was a child predator or what.

I just wish that I would have know a little about the test before I began. I always research this kind of stuff on the internet. I have no idea why I didn't on this.

Bottom line, don't try to figure out the questions. Just be honest and go with your gut feeling. "For I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, says the Lord."

If God wants you to have the job, then you'll have it. If not, don't be disappointed. Know that He has other plans in mind.

God bless!

Jeremy

Jeremy

Wasted Time
Old 07-28-2007, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Not teaching related, but I just went through 6 weeks of interviews and blood letting with a major capital markets firm, was told I was hired, agreed on a salary / commission structure, only to be told that I would not be joining them b/c the Gallup Assessment indicated I was a "non-hire". The person doing the hiring was a former employee of Gallup. I was told prior to that I was an excellent candidate and all of my interviews (7) had been seamless. After the initial punch in the gut, I am ok with it. It's such a shame, but I am better off. Why on earth would they use that as the deciding factor? Seems more like a liability. Especially after offering the job.

Irisheyes510

Irisheyes510

Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

It's so sad to know that my career comes down to a test. Whatever happened to interviewing someone in person? I've taken the TeacherInsight test as well, and have no idea what I'll do if I can't teach. Teaching is my calling and a test will determine my fate. I live in WI, which is well known for setting the standards for teaching. What are teaching each other by this test?

mathteachernw

They've been pretty much debunked...
Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

http://www.msu.edu/user/mkennedy/TQQ...Interviews.htm
but I can see why school districts use them. It cuts down on how many people they have to interview.