Dog ate chocolate pudding! - ProTeacher Community

tammynj

Dog ate chocolate pudding!
Old 04-11-2009, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How worried should I be? I made two chocolate pudding pies, and there was some leftover pudding, which I put in a bowl. My son ate some of the pudding, and left the rest out on the counter. I was in and out of the kitchen, and noticed that there seemed to be less pudding, but I thought my son ate some more before he went out. He just came back in and accused me of eating the pudding. I hadn't and we figured that the dog must have helped himself. The bowl is very messy looking but it wasn't finished. I know chocolate is very bad for dogs, but I figure that he 1) didn't actually have that much, and 2) how much actual chocolate is in pudding?

That darn dog. And I just made him scrambled eggs as a treat. I wouldn't have done that if I'd known he helped himself to some dessert!

I am not panicked but I do intend to keep an eye on him.

b_lady

Old 04-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep an eye on him. That is totally something that my puppy would do too.

BTW...I love your avatar I love Snood!

wolono

It depends on how big
Old 04-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

the dog is and how much he ate.

teachnkids

Old 04-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't think that would be too bad. If you notice he isn't doing well you can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. We took our mutt to the vet the first time she helped herself to chocoate(a huge tin) and the second time we did the hydrogen peroxide per our vet.

Don't you just love the habits of fur babies??

cally

Old 04-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn't be too worried. It does depend on the size of the dog and amount of pudding. But it seemed like he did not eat a large amount. Just keep and eye on your dog. I think the worst that could happen is that he throws up. My dog has eaten a candy bar in the past and she just got sick and then was fine.

tammynj

Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't see how I could get him to drink hydrogen peroxide... Do your force it down them?

He is a big dog (75 lbs.)

TLC

Old 04-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our 16 pound Boston ate at least a pound off a 5 pound giant Hershey bar one Christmas-snooping through the gifts! He didn't even throw up, little lone get sick or die.
I wonder if it is a myth-the whole chocolate thing.

Hylin

Old 04-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wouldn't worry too much. DH once got a couple of those large chocolate Hershey bars as a present from someone. We forgot they were in the car and left the dog in the car while we ran in somewhere. When we came back, the only thing left was some pieces of wrapper. She's about a 55-60 lb coonhound and she LOVES chocolate.

yesteach

Dark chocolate
Old 04-11-2009, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

While milk chocolate is not good for them.. it's dark chocolate that is really bad. I would think there's not enough chocolate in pudding to hurt him.

Our cockapoo ate a whole bag of Hershey kisses one year at Christmas.. paper and all. She had sparkly holiday poo for days...

Keeli0307

Old 04-11-2009, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a 90 lb. lab and on a few different occasions he has helped himself to Hershey Kisses and M&M's. He is fine. It never effected him.

Gromit

dogs chocolate
Old 04-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Chocolate toxicity is not a myth. The reason it seems like dogs can eat chocolate without getting ill is many chocolate products don't have that much actual chocolate in them. The smaller the dog and the higher the chocolate concentration (dark chocolate or pure vs milk or semi-sweet, for example), the greater the risk. A dog could suffer everything from hyperactivity to digestive upset to seizures to death depending on how much chocolate was ingested.

Here's a quick and easy toxicity chart:

Toxic Levels (from talktothevet.com)

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Here's a more specific one:
http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01325.htm

MaryMac

I wouldn't worry
Old 04-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I had a little 13 pound Bichon eat a whole bag of Hershey Kisses. She didn't even get sick! This is the same dog who also ate Super Glue! She survived that one too!

anonymouse

Our dog
Old 04-11-2009, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our basset hound ate an entire Entemann's chocolate cake. I called the vet and he said that it wouldn't hurt him. If he had eaten baking chocolate (like baker's unsweetened) it would have made him sick but foods that are made with chocolate generally don't have enough chocolate to hurt an animal.

2ndGradeDeb

Old 04-11-2009, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My Sharpei once got a pound of See's candy and she was fine! I was not happy! I love See's candy!

imacacher

Cereal lover here..
Old 04-11-2009, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We really don't let our 10 month old lab have much people food at all...this morning, I had Lucky Charms for breakfast. I don't eat them with milk...I eat them dry and then DRINK milk. DH doesn't eat them, so I typically eat straight from the box. I set the closed box on the couch and went upstairs. DH brought our puppy downstairs and left him out of the crate while he came upstairs. Typically we can tell him to sit and stay at the gate, and he will....

We came back about 15 minutes later and he wasn't at the gate or in his crate. I look and he's hiding behind our chair (his guilty hiding spot...) I look closer and his entire head (even his ears were missing!) was in the box of Lucky Charms. He had opened the tabs instead of eatting threw the box, and had unrolled the bag and was chowing down. No side effects, but his poo will probably be interesting colors!

smar

chocolate
Old 04-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

my friends dog at a ton of chocolate at christmas time - he got pretty sick and it cost quite a bit to make sure he was ok - but he's still around causing trouble hehe.

by the way - if you induce vomiting, with hydrogen peroxide, you need very little. yes, you kind of force it down - we had to do this when my BAD basset ate a bottle of zyrtec (turns out he didn't really eat that much and would have been fine, but he also went to the emergency vet - my husband was freaking out that he wasn't ok). our vet told him not to give that to him because he could aspirate it, but i was very anti taking him in at 3 in the morning (DO love the dog, but really thought he was ok). so tried it anyway - he threw up immediately and over and over with just like a tablespoon.

i would assume the dog will be fine - just keep an eye on him. pets - gotta love 'em!

hehe

Lola3

Old 04-11-2009, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

It sounds like he's a big dog and didn't eat much actual chocolate so I'm sure he will be fine. However, my family's dog did die from eating chocolate. It was a medium size dog (a boxer) and she got into a lot of halloween candy. Nobody was home when it happened. She was found after several hours dead. So although dogs often eat some chocolate and are fine, chocolate really can kill dogs. I know a lot of people out there don't think that it's true. But dog owners need to be aware and be careful.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-11-2009, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

About three years ago, when our beagle was a year old, he got into a pound of fudge my mom had made for Christmas and ate the whole thing. I expected him to be dead by morning but he didn't even get sick.

Most likely he will be fine because it doesn't sound like he got hold of a whole lot.

Nancy

mom2six

Old 04-11-2009, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

It's not a myth. My GS got into dark chocolate once and was very sick. He really scared me that time. Now, he is in the crate until all groceries are put away. While he's not allowed in the kitchen ever, my son had just dropped part of the groceries in the utility room instead of bringing them into the kitchen. Of course, the dog had to help himself. It does depend on the type and amount of chocolate, as well as the weight of the dog as to how much it will affect them.

This evening, I noticed a new bag of horse feed in the back of my truck was open. I thought my son had done it. I came inside to ask why he opened the feed in the truck instead of taking it into the shed. When we went back out, I caught our dog leaping over the closed tailgate into the back of the truck. He started chowing down on feed. That prompted a call to the vet because of the special feed my horse eats.

tammynj

Old 04-12-2009, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Just wanted you all to know that Ricochet is still fine; he seems to have suffered no ill effects at all, thank God. Like others said, he is big, he didn't have much, and most of the pudding was milk, anyway.

Sheesh. You really have to keep an eye on these animals!