Books, Guided Reading & Literature

How do i teach kids to use commas?

>

ruby09

ruby09

How do i teach kids to use commas?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to teach yr 6/7 students how to use commas?

thnx

maryteach

I personally believe
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

in teaching all punctuation rhetorically, not by lists of rules. So what I would do for first graders would probably be the same thing I would do for my sixth graders. I would teach this AS NEEDED rather than put the whole class through it, ready or not. When I see a child who needs a comma minilesson, they get that lesson, but only for the instance in which they need a comma today. So if I see a kid who needs a comma lesson, they don't get a run-down on every use of a comma there is. They get a lesson on what they need today (we use a comma before quotation marks). Tomorrow, maybe they'll need another one (we use a comma in the date: April 20, 2009).

We have known for years that teaching kids points of punctuation and grammar in isolation just doesn't work, regardless of whether it's a worksheet, or a game or an activity. These things just don't work. It makes no sense to give kids more than what they're ready for, so I would teach them what they need, at the time they demonstrate a need to know, and I would do it completely within the context of their own writing.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

JME

Here's a fun book
Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

...that really illustrates how the placement of a comma can change the meaning of a sentence:

Eats, Shoots and Leaves: Why, Commas Really DO Make a Difference!
JME is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

Music
Old 04-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught the kids that language is music! Listen carefully and you'll hear it - or lack of it. Then I'd read them a couple of LONG sentences minus punctuation. TAKE A DEEP BREATH. And read monotone!

Have a couple of sentence ready on the white board or an overhead presentation - without punctuation. Have student read them.

First graders will need this adjusted, obviously, but they will HEAR the necessity of commas. I told students that commas on paper are what our voice does naturally when speaking - give a slight pause so our ears and brains can catch up or separate. Commas are shorter breaks than periods and BOTH require music - talking at one tone of voice and as the punctuation appears, the voice lowers in tone. Question marks and exclamation points have a different music. You get the idea.

Try it - and listen. The kids - well, the older kids at least - catch on swiftly.

Of course, this doesn't address the reasons for the pauses. As the previous writer said, wait until that becomes necessary. Though I do believe in worksheets; it gives the teacher something to refer back to or for the student to pull out and review.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

txfrog

I did this with my fifth graders...
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I made up sentences/phrases, on sentence strips using the different ways to use a comma. I laminated them. I gave each student one and then gave him/her macaroni (mspllg.). They were to put the macaroni where the comma belonged. I set a timer for so many minutes, for them to figure it out. To check if they were correct they could check their grammar book, and I also had preprinted rules at another area/station in the classroom. They loved it, it got them up and moving, and still learning, but in a different setting.

Just an idea.

txfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

scrabbler

victor borge
Old 05-17-2009, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you would like to use humor to motivate kids to learn punctuation, show them the video of Victor Borge explaining punctuation. It's hilarious. It's available online. The kids love it.
scrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote