Help

ARCHIVE

Whiteboard Help!!

>

Jennifer in OK

Whiteboard Help!!
Old 08-05-2006, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So my team has moved into "leased" prefabs. The two 8 ft. whiteboards aren't too great. I think they are showerboard, but when you write on them then erase, it leave the color on the board. You can still see what you wrote before erasing. Any suggestions on what to do? Someone told me that you have to clean it after each use to get a good sheen, but that it would take a month! Anyone knows of anything else?? We are very discouraged at this point.

Jennifer in OK is offline   Reply With Quote

myers1st

Old 08-05-2006, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What kind of markers are you using? I've learned (the hard way) to only use Expo brand markers. I used Crayola dry erase markers once and it left the color behind even after I tried to erase. Good luck!
myers1st is offline   Reply With Quote

donna

Expo 2
Old 08-05-2006, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The teachers with shower board in my building also have noticed that if you use Expo 2 markers they tend to leave marks behind. If you use regular Expos they erase better.
donna is offline   Reply With Quote

Darlene

Old 08-05-2006, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've heard that you can wax the board with car wax. I'd try this on a small area first though. Also, to get the other writing off, you can do this with rubbing alcohol and/or hair spray.
Darlene is offline   Reply With Quote

Leah E

Old 08-05-2006, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had this exact problem last year and I feel like I tried everything. I would have to use cleaner each time after I erased the writing.
I agree with Donna that the regular expo markers came off the easiest. It also depends on the color. I found that green and red usually erased without cleaner, but the other ones didn't.

Leah E is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Whiteboards
Old 08-05-2006, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hate whiteboards and showerboards. I wish we could just go back to the blackboard! The best markers are the smelly original ink Expo markers. I have a container of Clorox wipes that I use at the end of the day to keep my boards clean. If you do it everyday the board stays pretty nice. Good Luck!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Smelly, old original ones are best.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think I have fairly good (not great) whiteboards, but I've had some problems keeping them clean. It was depressing because they were just black blotches sometimes. I was using the low odor markers and they weren't very colorful. I wanted the vivid colors to use on our assignment board, so I bought some regular, old, smelly Expo2 markers and discovered something wonderful. They not only erased cleanly, they also cleaned off the old black residue.

My students still have to use the low odor markers for their individual whiteboards because 24 uncapped stinky ones are pretty awful, but I keep the smelly ones in a special spot just to use for the big boards. Give them a try before you give up.

BTW, I somtimes have to use Expo whiteboard cleaner to get the red marker off.
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Eraser
Old 08-06-2006, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had showerboard in the room I've been in for the past few years... and I would get color left behind with certain colors of markers.. Two things I found helped... one, make sure the ink is dry before you erase it and only use erasers made for dry erase boards (I use the Expo one). I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does... something about the material it is made of I guess... but it does a better job of erasing on the board.

One thing I do know, if you get anything "oily" on the board it is harder to erase (i.e. kids erasing with their hands rather than the eraser!!)

I also clean mine regularly, which I think makes a difference.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

thekoz

Hold your breath...
Old 08-06-2006, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Don't buy the "low odor" Expo markers. You want the "original ink" type. They stink, but they erase.

I couldn't believe the difference. I thought my boards needed to be replaced, but I'm able to leave things I've written with the smelly markers on the board over the weekend, and Monday morning they erase completely. Even the red ink!

Clean it really well using the Expo board cleaner. Use only the smelly ink once you've got it clean. After that, use the Expo cleaner as sparingly as possible - it shouldn't be an issue because the smelly markers erase nicely.
thekoz is offline   Reply With Quote

NCP

Erasing
Old 08-06-2006, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It is not just your boards. I have real white boards in my room, and I have trouble with markers too. I have the same "ghost images" and residue left over. I have found water works well. I keep a small spray bottle and erase the board with paper towels. I have also heard the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers can take off stubborn markers. Rubbing alcohol also does a pretty good job. Just be sure you try everything out on a small area first.

NCP is offline   Reply With Quote

imamamaof2

Mr. Clean Erasers
Old 08-06-2006, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ya'll!
The Mr. Clean erasers are THE BEST! I have a cheap shower board in my room and got one of those in a sample bag and ended up buying a package. One worked for a LONG time! I love them!
I heard the thing about car wax, too. Tried it and it didn't work too well (before I discovered Mr. Clean).
imamamaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shash821

Shower Board
Old 08-07-2006, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am thinking about putting up shower board to cover the black boards in my classroom. What is the best method to stick them up? I'm not sure that I want to apply them permanently, but I do not want them to accidently fall on anyone. Will the blue Fun Tak work? How about Hot or Cold Glue Gun? I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has used them. Thank you.
Shash821 is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Shash821
Old 08-07-2006, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Refer to this thread. It is talks about hanging shower board.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=15429
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

Shash821

MsPropel
Old 08-07-2006, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks for the quick response. I'm going in to work on my room on Wednesday and I'll take some final measurements before I head to Lowe's or Home Depot to buy my showerboard. Hopefully, our head custodian will be at school and I can discuss the solutions offered here and also ask him what he thinks is the best method for hanging the board. Thanks again.
Shash821 is offline   Reply With Quote