Kindergarten Interview...Help! - ProTeacher Community

jen_freeman

Kindergarten Interview...Help!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I am new to the site, and I am interviewing for a Kindergarten position on Tuesday. I would love to hear your suggestions and expertise please! Thanks Jen

jen_freeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Strawberry_K5

suggestions
Old 08-05-2006, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If the school you are interviewing with has a school website, get on it and research...what is the school all about? Review the course of study for kindergarten; you should familiarize yourself with the topics of study in case they ask you specific questions.

In our state, the reading initiative is highly emphasized. If this is the case with your state and the school you are looking at interviewing with, are you familiar with the reading initiative? Other than that, I got out my notebooks from my college courses and reviewed educational jargon.

I also looked at several websites and practiced answering interview questions. Here is a good website with interview questions they might ask:
http://purdue.placementmanual.com/ed...cation-02.html

Finally, BE CONFIDENT! Good luck! I'll say a prayer for you. Let us know how it goes.
Strawberry_K5 is offline   Reply With Quote

jen_freeman

Old 08-06-2006, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your help, yes that was my first thought too (research the website, but they do not have much posted, just the staff emails and the mission statement. I think it is currently in the midst of development).

judy

Hope this is not too late
Old 08-12-2006, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had a conversation with my principal the other day and during our chat he brought up an interview with a teacher he was interviewing. He stated he was so impressed with the fact she asked to see the curriculum for her subject. Just a thought! Also, I would have a good idea on what type of curriculum your possible district has and be able to speak on it. I hope you are successful.
judy is offline   Reply With Quote

jen_freeman

Old 08-12-2006, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you, I will have to remember that one for next time. I did not recieve the position. A candidate already completed with a ZA endorsement recieved it. I guess it was not meant to be.

judy

best wishes
Old 08-13-2006, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My wishes are with you for getting a position. It can be a struggle I know.......What is a ZA endorsement? Just be sure that one a million times better will come your way. Do you have a portfolio of ideas to present? That always helps.....
judy is offline   Reply With Quote

jen_freeman

Old 08-14-2006, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A ZA endorsement in the state of Michigan is an Early Childhood endorsement. Thanks for the confidence!

kinderkare

K interview
Old 09-01-2006, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can tell you that we just completed Kindergarten interviews. Here are a couple of suggestions. First, don't be afraid to shake hands with the interviewers. Second, look the people in the eye when you speak to them. Hopefully you have a porfolio to bring along to share. Be honest and true to yourself. You'll do just fine. Good luck to you.
kinderkare is offline   Reply With Quote
rz

rz

teacher
Old 07-14-2008, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am going to be interviewing 4 possible kindergarten teachers in about an hour. One thing that I am going to ask, is what do they know about Reading First as it is something our district has a grant for. What techniques can they help me with as I have taught for 28 years. What can they give to me? A very important question is, how will they run a class room? What is their behavior plan? How do they set up centers? Do they believe in changing centers? Free play centers? Also, a big important part is how do they get along with others? ARe they willing to get along? Have good work ethic? So I don't have to do all of it? I have two new teachers this past year also, due to retirement and adding a section, and they did not seem to work together and share work as I was used to for the past several years. I like someone who is not overly confident sitting in an interview. Last year when we interviewed around 8, we never even looked at portfolios. Isn't that something? I like someone to ask a question of me. I guess I am looking for someone like i was, wanting a desire to teach and it show in that interview and not think they know everything and being able to work. In kindergarten you need to work hard, moving constantly and up and down, and I can still manage that at 55. Good luck.