ARCHIVE

JOB OFFER (Well... sort of)

>

Frank

Frank

JOB OFFER (Well... sort of)
Old 08-06-2006, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

"While we are not recommending you for a contracted position at this time, we would like to recommend you for a long term substitute position teaching 2nd grade. The assignment would start at the beginning of Nov. and would run through at least the beginning of March. It is very likely that the assignment could extend beyond that time, or that another assignment would be available when it ends.

If you are interested in accepting this assignment we would offer you the opportunity to be a regularly reporting substitute in the same school from the beginning of the school year until the LTS assignment begins. If you accept the LTS position you have no obligation to take the regularly reporting substitute position, that's just an option that would allow you to get into the school and work directly with the classroom teacher that you would be replacing. You would have curriculum materials and time to work directly with the teacher and her students.

Because we don't know at this time whether or not you'll have a full year assignment, we don't officially name a mentor for you, but again, you'll have plenty of time to cross-train with the classroom teacher.

Please let me know if you are interested, because we would love to have you as a new addition to our staff!!!"

What do you think?

NJ Teacher

Congratulations!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You have your foot on the door! What a great opportunity to be there from the beginning with the teacher you are replacing and to get to know your future students. My first year job was supposed to be a one year leave replacement for a teacher who was on leave teaching abroad for the year. She and her husband decided not to return, and I stayed in that district for 12 years. You never know!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Gina TX

Old 08-06-2006, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I say that's great. Definately a good beginning and these things often turn into permanent positions.
Gina TX is offline   Reply With Quote

kyteacher

Perfect Opportunity!
Old 08-06-2006, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is the perfect opportunity to get your foot in the door and prove that you are indeed a valuable asset to the school! Congrats!
kyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Toni

Is a school you really want to be in?
Old 08-06-2006, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If so, go for it! You never know when it could turn into the postition you really want, and are dreaming of. A 1/2 time kinder for me morphed into a full time fifth grade before I knew it.

Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
GK

GK

Old 08-07-2006, 12:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sounds like a great way to get into the system and give you some possibilities. I am teaching this year with a teacher who has been subbing all around for the past several years. She was thrilled to sub b/c she got to know various schools and teachers so she knew what she wanted and snagged it when it came open. This would be a great way to get to know the school and let them get to know you. Then you'll be the one they think of when the permanent jobs open up. Good luck!

imacacher

That's how I started!
Old 08-07-2006, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I got a long term sub position two years ago. It was supposed to be from the first inservice day ( a week of inservice with the teacher, then two weeks together in the classroom with the kids) and then 60 school days (Teacher was taking FMLA leave). She ended up being out for the first 3 nine weeks of the school year.

My position ended in April, on a Tuesday. The Monday before I left, I had an interview for the following year. The day after my position ended, I interviewed again with the assistant superintendent and was offered the job.

I didn't work from April-June, but I didn't care--I was busy getting ready for my first year on my own!

If this is a school/district you are interested in--GO FOR IT!
imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

emg123

Congrats!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Congrats Frank! Any way that you can get your foot in the door and prove yourself as an asset to the school will positively get you your own classroom. I started out as an aid and I made sure that I became invaluable to the teachers that I worked closely with. They in turn told the principal and advocated for me and I did end up with my own classroom. One suggestion that I can make to you is to ask the principal to come and observe you teaching a lesson and have a follow-up appointment for constructive feedback. I did this and at that meeting I expressed that my ultimate goal was to have my own classroom. I have always found that when observed "less is more". Choose one topic, skill, strategy, or whatever and do a really thorough lesson. I feel that if you "pull out all the bells and whistles" it could backfire. Stick to one thing and just do it really well. Hope I've helped.
emg123 is offline   Reply With Quote