Help

ARCHIVE

Fingerprinting required for you?

>

GB

Fingerprinting required for you?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Within the last six months, our Department of Elementary and Secondary Education mandated all faculty and staff get their fingerprinting done. It's done by scanner now, not ink. It costs $50, which irks me. I worked for the government a long time ago, and my fingerprints are in the "system."

Is everyone required to get their fingerprints done now?

GB is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

not happy...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had my fingerprints done 8 years ago when I started teaching. When I switched districts last year...my file was nowhere to be found. I was a little pi$$ed off to say the least. So in January I paid $60 out of pocket to have them done. Then in May the district paid to have everyone's re-done. Did they off to reimburse me???? H3ll no! I am still ticked! It is not like I have money coming out of my ears or something! Just one more thing to add to the growing list!

Amy
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

fingerprints
Old 08-07-2006, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

yep--our district started requiring this about 10 years ago (??).

they paid for it at the time, but now i think it's out of pocket.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

MsYork

Old 08-07-2006, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been fingerprinted SO many times in the last three years! Two for county substituting positions, one city subbing position, one for student teaching, and one for my current teaching district! I paid for all but one of them!!!
MsYork is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

Arizona
Old 08-07-2006, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have to get our fingerprints taken and after 6 years the card expires and we do it again. I just had mine redone...only it was 2 years overdue. Oh well!
It was $62.00.

K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

not so far but...
Old 08-07-2006, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm sure it's just a matter of time! I know that any volunteer or parent who comes into contact with our students (cafeteria, field trip, etc) must have a background check which may include fingerprinting - I'm not sure. They have to have this done each year. Perhaps new teachers in our district have to be fingerprinted, but so far those of us who have been teaching since the dark ages have not been asked (or told) to do this...yet!
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

kali

MsYork
Old 08-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Maybe somebody might want to mention to your State that your fingerprints don't change!!? ha ha ha, talk about a waste of money to have yours done so many times. Makes no sense at all. It would seem to make more sense to just run your prints every few years, rather than take prints over again.

We have our fingerprints taken and it costs us 50 beans. Not sure how long its been that way, but I do recall a lot of protest and many teachers leaving because they thought it was an envasion of their privacy. Now, all school employees (janitors..subs...etc) must be fingerprinted.
kali is offline   Reply With Quote

SC

Old 08-07-2006, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I lived in Texas, we had to have them. For some reason, the Dept. of Education wouldn't accept mine the first 3 times I had them done for some reason or another. I was able to get them free because I still lived near my university, and they provided the service. However, I know other people who had to keep having them redone and paid about $50 each time.

I now have my Louisiana certificate, and I didn't have to be finger printed. I'm wondering if it's just because I already had my TX certificate, or if LA just doesn't require them.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote

churchr

In the same boat
Old 08-07-2006, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We're required to have our fingerprints done on the new computer system also. They're phasing us in based on when our certificates must be renewed. We were originally expected to pay the $60+ to be re-fingerprinted, but somehow (an act of Congress?) the district is now picking up the tab. I guess it is a sign of the times. Everyone that works on our campus (even electricians or the people delivering food) have to be fingerprinted.
churchr is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I was fingerprinted...
Old 08-07-2006, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was fingerprinted when I was hired in the late eighties. There was no charge, the local police department did it. It was a condition of my hiring.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

was printed and had to pay 2x!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have always worked for the same system. When I started, I had to get fingerprinted. I had to pay then. When I renewed my teaching certificate in 2004, I had to pay 50 dollars to get printed AGAIN! I will not be surprised if I have to pay again when I renew my certificate again in the future. I don't know why the state or school system is so needy of fresh prints of my same old fingers every so often, but I guess it is like the mafia--you just have to pay for the privilege of having a job. At least where I work, the police actually comes to my workplace to obtain my prints.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsG

Old 08-07-2006, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've had to be fingerprinted for every teaching job. My new school this year wants me to get the fingerprint report from my previous district. Just called them and they said they are required by law to shred the prints once the hiring process is complete. So now I am off to get them done again - fortunately the school is paying for it.
MrsG is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

fingerprinting
Old 08-07-2006, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We have it. It started back early 90's in NW La. At that time if you had been teaching for 10 years you didn't have to do it. ( I didn't have to)
But all new teachers did and if you changed districts you had to do it.
My fingerprints are with the FBI due to our daughter's adoption. I like the comment your fingerprints don't change. That stinks to have to pay for them to be done. The police are always doing children's all the time.
I bet if you or I were arrested we would not have to pay for to be fingerprint. Funny but not really.
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

apple324

Free!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I live in Georgia about 30 miles outside of Atlanta...and it's FREE....however, my family just can't believe teachers do not have to take a drug test ! I agree with them...other jobs have random drug test....I just can't believe teachers do not.
apple324 is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

fingerprinting
Old 08-07-2006, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have never been fingerprinted. They don't do it in my district, and I have been here 21 years. My husband just started a new job in another, larger district and had to be fingerprinted, but he didn't have to pay for it.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Gina TX

Wow
Old 08-07-2006, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

That's really expensive. I've had to be printed twice, once for my student teaching and once for subbing. I am not working in the same district that I did ST or subbing, but they obtained my fingerprints from them. Both times I had to do I had to go to the Sheriff's Dept and it was $10.00, cash only and exactly 10.00, they don't give out change. I guess I am pretty lucky. I used to work for the post office so mine are on file too, but I had to do them anyway.

Ha ha, about getting them free if you're arrested. That's pretty sad really. The criminals get them done free and the professionals have to pay for them.
Gina TX is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTerri

fingerprints
Old 08-07-2006, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I was fingerprinted when I came back to Public school from private about 9 years ago. (I'm in Texas) When I changed districts, they said my prints were in the "system" now. I didn't have to pay but its done by the district police force from both school districts. Maybe thats why?!?
TexTerri is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 08-07-2006, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Yes for me, I'm in Louisiana. I can't remember how much it was, but it's done on a machine.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

gingteach1

Florida
Old 08-07-2006, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I had my fingerprints done on the computer scanner thing. I had to pay for it when I moved to a new county 2 years ago. They are now having all the senior teachers (those not hired in the last 5 years) get them done. I don't know if they have to pay or if the district is picking up the tab. The fee is for the background check on the prints.

When I completed initial district orientation, I had to go to a lab and do a drug test. This is required of all new hires. I think they can even have tenured teachers go an submit to a random drug test.
gingteach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nana6

Old 08-07-2006, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Everyone in our distriict who works with children must have their fingerprints on file. They came to each school last year to do them.
Diana
Nana6 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeAcHeRinFL

Old 08-07-2006, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

You have to in NY and FL. In NY, its $99 for your fingerprints.
TeAcHeRinFL is offline   Reply With Quote

SpEdTeacher

finger prints
Old 08-07-2006, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Everyone in the state must be fingerprinted if teaching in a school system. It cost 80 bucks. At least it is done and over with.
SpEdTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KMR816

Yes
Old 08-07-2006, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

In Alabama, you have to be fingerprinted before they will issue your teaching certificate. You also have to be fingerprinted to substitute. (not if you already have a certificate) Mine weren't on the computer...I got my certificate two years ago, but now they do them on the computer. My sister is a secondary teacher now. Hers were rejected the first time for some reason. Also, I saw someone mention drug testing. The district she just got hired by makes new hires take a drug test and have a physical before they are officially hired. I don't know if they continue doing random drug tests throughout the year or just when you are hired.
KMR816 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs_Powers

Fingerprints
Old 08-07-2006, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I have had to have my fingerprints taken a total of 11 times in the past 5 years. It is utterly ridiculous. Apparently, for whatever reason my fingers don't have very deep ridges (maybe I work too hard?) and thus they couldn't read them properly. Everytime I had them done in a police station, which makes me wonder if I did do something criminal could they find my fingerprints somewhere then? I am sure it wouldn't be a problem! At one point I almost went to the FBI office (that's who was saying they weren't done properly) and ask them to do it, I was so fed up. My license was literally held up for almost 2 years due to fingerprints!!!
Mrs_Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
GraceK

GraceK

Old 08-07-2006, 11:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I've been fingerprinted a few times. This past one was paid for by the district, I assume. They did it as part of new teacher orientation and there was nothing said about payment.

gabanndor

fingerprints
Old 08-08-2006, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

We are required to have our prints done and we receive a fingerprint card. It has to be renewed every 10 years. If we have any type of infraction, it is placed on the card. It can be swiped at any time to see if you have anything against you. I don't know if it really is updated, but that's what we've been told. I can't believe that there are still places out there that don't require this. The expense is a pain it the butt, but I would rather have people that don't have records working with my children.
gabanndor is offline   Reply With Quote

kali

apple.what????
Old 08-08-2006, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

You think that teachers should be subject to random drug tests now?? Give me a break. That sort of violation might fly in Georgia by here on the east coast, we fight crazy ideas like that.

The finger printing is pathetic enough. Seems like it would make more sense to fingerprint church workers.

kali

gabanndor
Old 08-08-2006, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

It would seem like a false sense of security you have when you say you would rather not have people with records working with your childen. For example, our fingerprints are taken and a criminal history check is completed. So.all good right......sure, that is unless you commit your crime a few days after your cleared and you know you have 5 years before they run your prints again and find out about it. This sort of false security has made some people agree with the fingerprinting, without knowing about the loop holes. Its unfair but true, so be careful if this is your only measure of safe teachers.

mlle.b

Things up in Canada are a bit different...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

At least in my province. Here, teachers do not get fingerprinted. We have to have a Criminal Record Check done, as well as a special section for working with Vulnerable Persons. This only costs $25 (typically).
mlle.b is offline   Reply With Quote

Strawberry_K5

yep
Old 08-11-2006, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

We're required to submit our fingerprints to the ABI/FBI when we apply for certification in AL. SC, my fingerprints were rejected the first time...I hope and pray that I had a better set taken the second time around.

I just happened to call the State Department of Education at the end of June to ask about another issue (highly qualified letter) when they dropped the bomb that my fingerprints were rejected. My letter of rejection just arrived yesterday. Thank goodness I called! It takes up to six months to have everything processed and returned. Grrrr.
Strawberry_K5 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple324

Kali
Old 08-12-2006, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Kali,

Yes, I think teachers should have drug testing performed...I do not think we should have to pay for it....

We are in the business of dealing with children...why are we so opposed to being testing...when many other businesses require it...

In Georgia, we've had cases where teachers are caught in drug bust...meth labs and so on...of course since they were on the news and they were fired...

I just think that anyone working with children should be drug tested...they are handling children...

But of course we are all entitled to our own opinion and I respect yours

Last edited by apple324; 08-12-2006 at 04:04 PM..
apple324 is offline   Reply With Quote