Help

ARCHIVE

Open House Ideas?

>

kyteacher

Open House Ideas?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We've never had Open House before the actual start of school so I am kind of lost as to what to do during this time since there will not be student work or anything.

I think we only have an hour so any ideas of what to do would be great. Thanks!

kyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

packerfan

Open House Ideas
Old 08-07-2006, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our Open House is also held before school starts, but ours is more of a parent information night.

Here are some ideas~
scavenger hunt-the students need to find some items in the classroom that maybe you can have set up and a short explaination of them.
back to school survival kit-students and parents need to come up with why each item is included in a bag. There could be a small prize if they come up with a reasonable solution. If y ou need items for a back to school survival kit there have been some posts about them.
if you have access to a computer you could have a mini Power point presentation going on about your grade level and you.

These are just some ideas.

Good Luck!
packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

myers1st

Open House-kind of long!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We've done Open House a couple different ways. We have had it as a Parent Meeting before school started. I just usually go over my handbook and any questions they may have. They also fill out an information sheet about their child (hobbies, interests, fun facts, concerns, etc.). We've also had it as a come and go, which is what I prefer since I'm not nearly as comfortable talking in front of 20 pairs of parents as I am 20 6-year olds! I've also made magnets that say "First Grade Stuff" so they can use it to hand work on the fridge throughout the year. I've also done a Reading Survival Kit for them to take home.
Reading Survival Kit
With busy schedules and life getting in the way, it can be hard for many parents to find time to read with their child every night. Still, reading with your child every night should be a priority. Here is a little reading survival kit to remind you of all the wonderful things opening a book will do!

Rubber band-Reading stretches your imagination.
Mint-Reading can open a ďmintí of information.
Band Aid-Reading can mend the soul.
Sweet Tarts-Reading gives the sweet satisfaction of learning something new.
Q-Tip-Reading helps open your ears to the meaning of words.
Gum-Reading is something you should stick with.

*Remember to spend time reading with your child. Itís a gift that will last a lifetime!
myers1st is offline   Reply With Quote

taylorkm25

open house
Old 08-07-2006, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Your night will go fast talking to parents and students.
A few suggestions
Have their desks ready with their nametag, books, etc. Put your class handbook on their desk so you acn briefly share with parents.
I do a door prize-fill a pretty jar with skittles. As students come, have them guess the number-give jar to student on first day who guessed the closest.
Do a giving tree-draw a tree on your board. Attach apple post-its with items on them you need for your room. Have a parent pick an apple to donate the item to the class.
taylorkm25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jade

Archives
Old 08-08-2006, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Put "open house" in the archive box above and I'm sure you'll find lots of good ideas. That's where all of mine have come from!!

Jade is offline   Reply With Quote