ARCHIVE

Have to teach a lesson at an interview

>

dkd1173

dkd1173

Have to teach a lesson at an interview
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've never had to do this before! It is supposed to be a second grade literacy lesson and the interview committee members will be my 'students.' I've only taught 3rd and 4th grade. I'm going to look up the curriculum for this grade, but does anyone have any general suggestions? I'm freaking out a little!

mom23kids

Hmmm
Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That sounds pretty intimidating! Why can't they let you do a demo lesson with a real 2nd grade class?
I never heard of doing like that. I teach upper grades so I don't know lower grade curr, but I believe at least where I am, it's pretty much similar to 3 and 4, but watered down.
Good luck
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
dkd1173

dkd1173

Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'd much rather do it with kids than adults! I did ask some more questions and it will be 2-4 people. She said the type of lesson is up to me - can be done as a whole class lesson or small group. I'm thinking that with 2-4 people I'll go for small group, like a guided reading group lesson. I'm wondering if they're going to "misbehave" during the lesson to see how I'll handle it? It's going to be hard to interact with adults in this way.

mom23kids

I agree with you
Old 05-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I dont think this is a fair evaluation. They just might act like misbehaving kids or ask dumb questions just to see what you would say. And you have to remember to talk to them like they're 7 year olds. Sheesh!! Very strange that they do this. Let us know how it goes. I'm curious. Give them what they want. Treat them like kids.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

heymrs

Never as an interview
Old 05-08-2009, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had to do this in college, and everyone did those same things you mentioned. I hated them! They were also in a tiny room and you were video taped. Yuck!

heymrs is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMissSEI

How awkward
Old 05-08-2009, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Really? That is just so weird. Are they going to pick their noses to see if you ask them to wash their hands?

Good luck on your interview!
LilMissSEI is offline   Reply With Quote

Hylin

Old 05-08-2009, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have all our interviewees do demo lessons in or near the grade we're thinking of placing them, but never demo lessons to ADULTS! I can't imagine that.
I think I would do a small group lesson. As for them acting up, my current principal has done that to me before. She came in during one of my small groups and sat down and then acted like an obnoxious child. It was partly funny, but partly really annoying. My favorite part was when kids told her "Umm...Ms. M...you are not meeting Mrs.K's expectations right now...we're supposed to sit quietly and focus on the speaker. And when we raise our hands, we don't oohhh and ahhhh to be called on. "

Good luck with your interview!
Hylin is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What about the focus lessons in Ruth Culham's 6 + 1 Writing Traits?
You could have them do the playdough editing lesson or even the messy desk rubric development lesson.
How much time do you have to do this lesson?
Or could you do something re: explicit student feedback and "bumping up" strategies with an open response question. Give them a sample question and help them tell you what needs to be added to get to a level 4 response. (maybe this idea is too much for hands-on student stuff as opposed to a demo lesson)

What about a shared reading lesson with before, during, after activities?
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote