Help

ARCHIVE

What would you do?

>

AnnieTeach1st

What would you do?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next week I will begin moving into my new classroom. We only have 4 days to work in our rooms before school starts. The problem is I know that the teacher who moved out of my room only took about 1/2 of her things to her new school and I was told she would be back to get the rest when she had time ( has no intentions of coming before school starts). I am a very picky person about my room. It has to look just so or I can't stand it. I can't handle having someone else's stuff cluttering up my room. She is good friends with the other people on my new grade level so I don't want to cause problems by telling her to come get her stuff. The grade level team wouldn't like that too much. I have already talked to one member and she doesn't think the stuff being in there is a problem whatsoever. She said I can just work around it. So now I don't know exactly how to handle this. I don't want her stuff in my room but I don't want to make anyone mad either. ANy ideas on how to handle this??? Thanks for the advice!

Annie

AnnieTeach1st is offline   Reply With Quote

jmb

similar problem
Old 08-08-2006, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I moved to a new room, the teacher had already moved her things, but she had an aid who left all her things out just like she was coming back any minute...and it sat like that all summer. I put all her things in a nice pile, and some boxes and put them in a corner of the room, and I began getting the room in shape. When she did return she apologized for not getting her stuff, but had been busy, and thanked me for saving her time packing up.
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderPA

I'd do the same...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

pack it up, stack it nice and neat.
Then put a table cloth over it and try to forget about it.
kinderPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Rita1stGrade

Old 08-08-2006, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel for you! That would drive me nuts as well! I would pack things up in boxes (even though it stinks that you have to do it for someone else) and then see if the janitor can store it somewhere. I don't think it would hurt to ask if it isn't TOO much stuff. Otherwise, is there anywhere in your room where you can hide it temporarily? Maybe under a table? You can make a skirt for a table using fabric and velcro and then hide it underneath? Also, I don't think it would hurt to call this person and tell her that her things are in boxes for her and she can pick them up whenever she can. Naybe she just doesn't want to take the time to pack it all up right now? I hope you get it worked out because I would be stressing over it like you are!
Rita1stGrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

rooms
Old 08-08-2006, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A teacher did this last year, but she just moved to a room by mine. She never came to get her things even after school started. So one day I just took them to her. I thought she would appreciate that I took the time and effort to bring her things to her. I also needed the room to store my things. She seemed a little ticked because she said thanks-sarcastically-followed by "now I have to go through this stuff and find room for it". Well, I think that is what she should have done in the first place. I responded "I'm sorry, I thought I was being helpful." Teachers should not expect other teachers to store their things for them. If I were you I would take the teacher's things to her new school anyway. I know this is extra work for you, but maybe others will see you as being helpful (what is what I thought I was being). I would at least offer to bring them to her if you can. Say something like I have so much stuff I would hate to get our things mixed up since I'm setting up my room now. I'd be happy to bring you your things on my way tomorrow or you can pick them up today. People who take advantage of others this way need to know you will not be pushed around. This is a nice way to let them know I think. The other teacher I work for knew I wasn't to be taken advantage of. She even told me later that she liked me and my personality.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

Ask the principal?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I moved in my room (10 yrs. ago!), I asked my principal what to do with the stuff a teacher left behind and said she'd pick up "sometime". He put it in a place of storage in the school for me and called her for me, which kept me out of it. Is that an option?
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

stuff
Old 08-08-2006, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with the last 2 posters. I would talk to your principal. See if you can give her a call to express the situation. I like the comment "I don't want our stuff to get mixed up. "But I would start moving it to the side and if there is no response then box it. It should not have to be your job but it is your job to have "your " room ready for your students .
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

bamateach

stuff
Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Do you have a teacher workroom? If so I would box it up tape it shut put her name on it and put it in the workroom.
bamateach is offline   Reply With Quote

cinaminsweet

Old 08-09-2006, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

What I would do is find an empty classroom and put all her stuff in there with her name on it. That's what I did whenever I moved into a new classroom and there was stuff still in it. Then if she shows up to get it, you can tell her where it is and just simply say that you didn't have space for it in your room. I think it is so rude for teachers to leave their stuff behind for someone else to have to deal with. At my school, one of the teachers won't be coming back and she's left all this stuff in her old room and has yet to come and get any of it. I feel so bad for the new teacher who will come in next week and have to deal with it.
cinaminsweet is offline   Reply With Quote

KAN

I would try not to rock the boat
Old 08-10-2006, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would carefully and neatly pack her stuff and keep it in a corner of your room and just deal with it for now. If she doesn't pick up her things when school starts, you might say something about being concerned that something could happen to her stuff and you would feel terrible if it did, is there a better place to store these items?
You are probably aware that getting off on the right foot with your co-workers and administration is key to your success and happiness.
Take a deep breath, pack that stuff, and hope she gets off her rear and takes care of it in a timely manner.

KAN is offline   Reply With Quote