CRAZY Demo Lesson/Interview Schedule... - ProTeacher Community

skately

skately

CRAZY Demo Lesson/Interview Schedule...
Old 05-17-2009, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good News: Two interviews at the end of this week in the city I'm moving to! Yay me!

Scary News: Demo lessons. I had to give a demo lesson for my current job, and of course now that a) that was so long ago, and b) I know now the people who were watching me then pretty well, it seems like it was just SO much easier and more low-key back then. Probably not true, I know.

Anyway, at one school I'm supposed to give a creative (this part was hugely emphasized) English lesson to 8th graders. Scary, but check. At the other school I am scheduled to be there literally for 5 hours - they sent me the schedule. Meet with the Head of School, teach a 5th grade English lesson, eat lunch with Dean and a bunch of teachers, teach an 8th grade lesson, have a tour of the school, have a closing meeting with administration, and then...a half hour meeting titled "Explanation of Benefits."

Now, for my question...does this seem weird to anyone else? Any of it? Well, maybe not weird, but out of the ordinary. Why do you think they want me to teach two different classes? Why do you think there's that benefits meeting on the schedule? In general, if you're invited to do stuff like this, how many people might you be competing against for the position?

These are my first two interviews this season, and given that it's going to take two full days away from my current school and a whole lot of preparation, I'd love some feedback from people who have been there or have any insights! I hope I don't have to do too many more like this...

Thanks!

Gotajobyay

Gotajobyay

Good sign!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think this is great for you! I just got a job, and they did the same for me; meetings, demo lesson, lunch, etc. I was told they knew they wanted to hire me before I even got there and just wanted to make sure I was a good fit. I think when they put that much effort into having you there, that you have a great chance, and I would definitely think you must be in the top 3 or so!! Exciting news!
skately

skately

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow, that's awesome to hear! I was just really surprised since I hadn't even had a phone interview with them or anything - all they've really seen is my resume. I asked if they were doing phone interviews, since I'm having to travel a bit to get there, but she said they're only conducting interviews for this position in person. I would be really, really, SUPER excited about it!

Any tips? Yours obviously went well!! Do you know if you were competing against others?
Gotajobyay

Gotajobyay

Yes...
Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They told me that I was competing against four others. I did do a phone interview prior though, and was told I was in the top after that but that they had so many great candidates they were having all of us come in and teach a lesson. I did a lesson to a language arts class in their middle school and I did it on descriptive writing. It went very well, basically I gave them each a picture of a skyscraper (but you could use anything, landscapes, beaches, etc), and had them write a paragraph describing it to the best of their ability. They then were partnered up and had to read their paragraph to their partner while their partner drew what they envisioned without seeing the picture. It was a good lesson to spark some discussion, show them what their writing sounds like to their readers, and I thought it was a good topic since I didn't know where they were with their own curriculum. It was my first demo lesson, I was freaking out all week, but when I actually got there and was doing it, it was fine. You gotta remember, that if any administrators are in the room, the kids usually act appropriately! Don't know if I'm replying to this after you've done it already, but if not good luck!!