Help

ARCHIVE

Friday Folder Question

>

roo

Friday Folder Question
Old 08-08-2006, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've read lots of great things about Friday/Monday folders, and am intrigued by an idea that will help to control the "paper chase". I have a question that has not really been addressed, though. How do you ensure that the parents have received/seen all of the papers that they are supposed to? I can just envision one of my students not being happy with a grade on a paper or test and having that paper mysteriously disappear on the way home. The parent would never know that it was missing, and I'd never know that it wasn't seen. I know this would be rare, since most kids are trustworthy, but I've definitely dealt with my share of sneaky ones! Have any of you encountered this? Do you just assume that everything is making it home? Just wanting to work out some kinks before I attempt this.

roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Friday Folders
Old 08-08-2006, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't do these, but I was just thinking... what if you had a form that you could print out (half sheet?) where you could write the number of papers you were sending home and require that the half sheet is signed and brought back? Then you could staple it all together. I've found that once kids find out that adults can tell when something has been torn out of a packet that was stapled together, they stop trying to get away with it.

Just a thought!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

Gloria

What I do
Old 08-08-2006, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Any paper/test/project that earns a 75% or less gets a stamp that say please sign and return. I highlight it in my grade sheets when it is returned. If not returned in 2 days, I call the parent.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

JKB

Monday Progress Reports
Old 08-08-2006, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've been doing Monday Progress reports for several years and they work very well for me! I type up a quick form on my computer and duplicate it. I record test scores from the previous week, along with any missing assignments, and other messages. I include this report, along with all the graded assignments from the previous week in a plastic pouch that I send home on Monday. I have parents sign the bottom and return the slip in the pouch on Tuesday.

Ironically, I just wrote about this system on another thread. For more detailed info of what I posted, here is the link:

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=15796

*Once I inform parents to watch for these reports each week, and after I send home the first couple of reports.......the parents expect them. If their child comes home on a Monday without, parents are questioning their child about it.

*Also.....I tell parents that IF I should happen to be absent on a Monday, when Progress Reports are due to be sent home, instead of having a substitute try to get them ready, I will send them home when I return. (When this happens, I also post a message on my website to let parents know that the Progress Reports will be late due to my absence...etc.)
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

form...
Old 08-09-2006, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a 1/2 sheet form that I use. It says for parents to go through the folder with their child. Most of the sheet has lines for comments (either from me or parents) then one line at the bottom for their signature. I have only ever had maybe 2 times (I've used this system for 6 years) that a kid took out a bad test. This year we have changed them to Tuesday folders. This cuts down on the every other weekend at the other parents house drama!

If you are concerned about a grade that a child might not want to show mom and dad, you may want to put a please sign and return stamp on it so you know they saw it!

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Amy

Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

denisealice

folders
Old 08-09-2006, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We use MOOSE notebooks and one folder is for work that can be kept at home and one folder is for work that needs to be signed and returned. I keep a fild containing all signed work (tests, sample work, etc.) and use that during conference time if necessary. If a paper doesn't get returned I send a note home or make a phone call. My parents are used to looking in the folders every day.
denisealice is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

folders
Old 08-09-2006, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

like you said it usually is not a problem but if it does become one, I will write the number of papers in the folder or staple it all together with the newsletter. Parents will know if it has been unstapled.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Nik

Middle School???
Old 08-09-2006, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Any ideas for a similar system for middle school? I like JKB's system, but I can't see doing this for 125 kids. It absolutely drives me nuts when I am passing papers back and the kids throw them into the recycle bin on the way back to their seats. Why do I bother????
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote

JKB

Nik
Old 08-09-2006, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When I first started teaching, I taught middle school-7th and 8th. I did a similar system, then, too. However, instead of doing it every week for all classes, I did it every 2 weeks. Also, I alternated where I did 7th grade the first week, 8th grade the second week, 7th grade the third week, etc. This made it much more manageable for me.

Hope this helps! JKB

linda2671

Friday/Monday folders
Old 08-09-2006, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm surprised to hear people talking about sending papers home once a week or once every two weeks. Our principal asks us to send papers every day for "immediate feedback". I agree with him, and we can skip grading a night once in a while, but we can't save them for a whole week.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

number
Old 08-09-2006, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Although I've never had a problem with this for my 3rd graders, I know the 5th grade teachers have a place on their form that says how many papers are included.
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

JKB

Linda2671
Old 08-09-2006, 10:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Like you......I grade papers virtually every single day.....and I check virtually everything! I hope I didn't imply that I only check them once a week! Gosh, if that was the case, I would be lost in a mountain of paperwork every single weekend!

The primary reason for developing this system is that I am more certain that parents will see their children's work, in an organized fashion. (Papers don't get stuffed in desks, book bags, or tossed in the garbage....because they go home neatly in a plastic pouch with a snap closure.) Parents know when to expect the papers to be sent home and they look for the Weekly Progress Reports. Besides having parents sign the bottom of each report each week, I leave room for them to write me notes if they have any questions, comments, or concerns. As a result, the lines of communication are open every week!

Also, I don't waste valuable classtime daily passing back papers or having students run around the room passing them back. I tried the mailbox system long ago, and it seems like the ones who NEEDED to take things home the most, were the same ones who avoided taking them home!

I've used this system under three different principals, and all three of them supported it. I guess it just goes to show you that there is diversity with administrators, too!

Have a great year!