Appreciation gift for Secretary - ProTeacher Community

ElemSub

Appreciation gift for Secretary
Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wondering, if it is okay to give school secretary a gift to show your appreciation. In our school she is the one who controls sub list and gives call to who she wants to. She ignored me for many months but last month; she called me almost every week. I do not want to look desperate but still want to say 'thank you' in proper manner.

ElemSub is offline   Reply With Quote

short_bread

be tactful
Old 06-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would say that it is okay to do this at the end of the school year. I would make it more of a "thank you for all that you do" general kind of gift, and I would go with something small. A hand written thank you note and a small gift will go a lot farther than something extravagant which, like you said, may make you seem desperate, or like your trying to buy her off so you will get more work. Just make sure that you are sincere and don't go over the top and you will be fine.
short_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

hindypo

a card is enough
Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Come on! I don't know where you work, but in my district secretaries earn much more, have vacation/sick leave, health benefits, etc.

People receive so much useless thank you junk gifts, and schools are the top of this activity!

Hand written and sincere cards mean so much more.

Just do that.

In some obscure way, it can also help remind the secretary that you are further down the economic chain! I think that some of them automatically think you are "rich" because you have a college degree!

Case in point: I currently have landed a pretty great job (NOT subbing). My supervisor is dazzled by my "education" and background. Little does she know I am grateful to work for a great boss with "only" a high school education!

She thinks I am doing her a favor! Little does she know how freaking desperate I am, despite all my "achievements."

Keep it cool with these secretaries. Your thank you should be a FAVOR. Keep it that way.
hindypo is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with hindypo. People love thank you cards; they display them, collect them, cherish them.

I left a thank you on a sticky note for a para who was awesome and the next time I came I noticed she had it displayed on her desk with a few others.

But gift idea: Starbucks gift card IN the thank you card!! a latte on you. Is this just a Seattle thing? Naw.....
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I ask them all out to dinner. In a nice way. None of them go, but they are all a little flattered. Did I mention that I sub almost every day?

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Old 06-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I took our secretary a thank you card and a sweet treat for her breakfast that day.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSub

Thank you!
Old 06-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply my post. It really means a lot to me that I have friends like you who I can talk to and seek advice any time.
ElemSub is offline   Reply With Quote