Help

ARCHIVE

Do you say, "Excuse me..."?

>

Dee Dee

Do you say, "Excuse me..."?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

On hot days I keep my classroom door open for a breeze and I can hear what goes on in other classrooms. I noticed that many teachers will use the expression "excuse me" when a student is interrupting, acting out, being disruptive, etc. Listen to others. You will find it very common!

I got to thinking that the kids don't know what the teacher is asking of them or wanting of them when that is said. What else can a teacher say to get attention but still keep up the flow and momentum of a lesson without losing the other students' attention but still quell the inappropriate behavior?

Let me know what you think. Have you heard others saying, "Excuse me"?

Dee Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

excuse me
Old 08-11-2006, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have heard it, but not often. The times I have heard it, it was said with sarcasm, not genuine politeness. I can't understand why a teacher would say "excuse me" when a kid is being disruptive. I CAN see using it if the teacher didn't hear what the child said.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACHER1

Excuse Me
Old 08-11-2006, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is one teacher on our team of 9 that says it ALL the time. And LOUD. It is more disruptive than the child she is reprimanding. I am so glad I don't teach near her. It's bad enough when my class is in the computer lab(near her room) that I usually close the door.
It certainly is not effective hearing how many times she says it.
Sometimes I stop what I am saying and the quiet gets the attention of the offender. I also have the "look" and a shake of my head or if I am walking around I touch the shoulder as a quiet reminder.
I find the louder the teacher gets, the louder the students get. I like quiet, calm, relaxing!
TEACHER1 is offline   Reply With Quote

TootSweet

I say it...
Old 08-11-2006, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

...and it is very effective. The students generally stop immediately and look directly at me. I also use it with my children at home. It means stop what you are doing right now and follow the rules. I don't yell it, I don't say it sarcastically, I say it plainly. "Excuse me, now let's get back to what we need to be doing" "Excuse me, are you following the hallway rules?" "Excuse me?!" (that one is usually when they are talking when I'm talking or poking someone) I prefer to use it than "stop!".

I'm sorry if it irritates the other teachers. I'm sure there are habits we all have that get on eachothers last nerve!
TootSweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

excuse
Old 08-11-2006, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, I hear it too. It sounded funny when I heard it here on the East Coast. I also hear directions, pronounced DI-rec-tions. That one is a little annoying too.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Gina TX

Old 08-11-2006, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I say it too. Not constantly, and not sarcastically. I use it when someone is doing something they shouldn't be, but it isn't a huge thing that they should be in trouble for. I will say, Excuse me, but is that what you are supposed to be doing?

Also, I was cured of saying it to students if I didn't hear what they said. We had a student with some major behavioral problems last year. He transferred in a week before spring break and landed himself in ISS the week after. I had taken each class to the Junior high to register for classes. We were in the library where the counselors were instructing them on filling out elective forms, etc. He had asked what to put for his phone number. I asked if he had a home phone. He said he couldn't remember it. This is reasonable since he had just transferred from out of state. So I asked if he knew any other phone numbers so that if they had questions about his schedule they could get ahold of him or his parents during the summer. His reply was he had his mom's cell phone number. I told him to go ahead and put that and then I turned to help another student. I heard him say something so I said, Excuse me? I didn't hear you. His very loud reply in the quiet library full of other classes was, "I said you're a B****!" Our school's counselor heard it and took him out. He was right back in ISS and spent quite a bit more time there during the rest of the year for saying the same things to his other teachers. Lesson learned. Be careful what you're asking
Gina TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Gloria

I say
Old 08-11-2006, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"CRYSTAL" AND THEY ANSWER WITH "CLEAR". THEY KNOW IT MEANS TO STOP TALKING AND TO GIVE ME THEIR ATTENTION. iT WORKS REALLY GREAT. i CAN SAY IT IN A LARGE ROOM OF 60 KIDS AND THEY ARE ALL QUIET IMMEDIATELY.

i GOT THIS IDEA FROM A SCHOOL THAT I SUBBED IN ONE YEAR WHEN I WAS UNEMPLOYED FROM FULL TIME TEACHING. THE WHO SCHOOL DID IT THERE.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

Bob

Warnings
Old 08-17-2006, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I avoid verbal warnings for most classroom rules. If an action is intentional, and a student is smart enough to understand the warning, s/he is smart enough to avoid the behavior to begin with.

I prefer non-verbal cues, but I always prefer to speak respectfully and politely to students, the way I wish for them to speak to me.

I've mentioned this before, but the videos and writings for parents and teachers by Mr. (Fred) Rogers is most helpful in classroom management.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote