Help

ARCHIVE

Math Workshop vs Math Centers HELP

>

Beagles

Math Workshop vs Math Centers HELP
Old 06-06-2009, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school is in the process of overhauling everything we have ever done. Not only are we reading new adopted curriculum materials for all subject areas but a new standards based computerized report card system. One of the things they want us to do is do a Math Workshop, which is different from Math Centers. In the past, I've used enrichment materials from NC, such as Week by Week Essentials and Problem Solving Cards. In addition, I've used Math Stars, computer games, file folder games, etc.
The problem is that the standards from NC are different and also in a very different time of the calender,so using them doesn't make much sense any more. The district is really into differentiation, but hasn't provided the teachers with any do-able models. We are to teach 90 minutes of math daily. For those of you already doing this, do you teach in the workshop manner like Lucy Calkins on literacy everyday?How do you manage the grouping that is still on the same standards but differ in level? How do you prep this without going insane and keep track of formative and summative assessments and provide what each students need in order to master the grade level standards? How do students own their learning by independently choosing and sticking to what they need to be working? When you send them to "stations" do they really learn? Or do they just have a good time? To me, sending them to work on yet another problem solving isn't really math but busy work. Oh, and I'm the only grade level teacher so I have to do it all on my own.

Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote

jedgar

informal
Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here is what I started doing this year....
On Mondays, I teach whole group concepts/vocabulary for the week. I use Scholastic Study Jams, which has step by step, videos, and karaoke for math and science.

On Tuesday-Thursday I meet with small groups based on ability.

On Friday we do a weekly quiz on the weeks concepts. We grade these and for t hose students who do not pass, we meet in small groups while the others play math games.

This has been wonderful in my classroom and the students who need enrichment do not need to wait on those who need extra help.
jedgar is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

Look at examples on this site
Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it will take awhile to get where you want to be. I wouldn't try to get there in a year.

http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/d..._lab/menu.shtm
parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Beagles

Response
Old 06-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for the response and the link. Why is Montgomery so advanced? I've used some of their stuff for a while now. Is it because of Stiggins?
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote

jedgar

Math Stations
Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know they are defiantly advanced. I am interested more in these math stations. Is there a print resource I am missing? I looked up Tomilson but am struggling with math stations. Does anyone else use these? If so how can I get more info?

jedgar is offline   Reply With Quote

thruachild'sI

lost on the montgomeryschool website
Old 06-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm not sure if I'm half brain dead today or what - but I'm not finding any information on Math workshops on this website. I saw a video, but it really didn't show anything that different about grouping kids and going over the skill. Am I missing something????

It appears that there should be a lot of information on the site, but I just can't seem to find it
thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Guided Math
Old 06-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There is a book called Guided Math - A Framework for Mathematics Instruction by Laney Sammons. It is published by Shell Education. She has also started a yahoogroup called guidedmath.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Math Momma

Guided Math
Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have purchased the Laney Sammons book online and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I wanted to know from anyone using guided math now--what is the time you need to teach math? We are getting really boxed in by some state mandates for reading and physical acitivity each day. It looks like we will have only 1 hour for math---which includes transitioning between teachers. How are people fitting in the components? Do you incorporate Everyday Counts Calendar math and if so how? Thanks for the help and advice. I want to get this as organized as possible over the summer so that I just need to make adjustments as the year begins. Thanks for all the help.
Math Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

navymom

Guided Math Questions myself
Old 06-17-2009, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi there Math Momma. Was reading a few of your posts regarding Guided Math and was wondering if you were in the same county as myself. Looks like you were in Duval before?

Anyhow, I'm a 5th grade Math & Science teacher and would love to do something similar. Maybe we could come up with a plan of our own, especially if we can't use it the way others have in the past?

I don't have the Laney Sammons book yet but want to purchase it. Where did you find it?
navymom is offline   Reply With Quote

jlginoki

Guided Math Question
Old 06-26-2009, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hello,

I am a new fourth grade math and science teacher also...and I was wanting to do guided math groups. In your post you said that you do whole group instruction on Mondays for the week, and the rest of the week is small groups based on ability. Does that mean on Monday you cover more than one new concept for the students to work on during the week? Our district has calendar mapped out for us, and we are supposed to cover a new concept almost everyday. I am just wondering how much new material you cover on Monday? I really want to do this in my classroom...but I'm having trouble organizing it. Any help or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
jlginoki is offline   Reply With Quote