Decor for Daycare Center - ProTeacher Community

MomaRedd

MomaRedd

Decor for Daycare Center
Old 11-03-2005, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I own a daycare center and am thinking about repainting everything; it's all white right now. Very sterile looking!! Any ideas on what to do in my SchoolAGer room (ages 5-12)? I'm letting the teachers do their own rooms. I'm stumped whether to do colors or some type of mural. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Heart4Him

my personal opinion
Old 11-03-2005, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

personally I think the walls should stay a neutral color. Let each teacher decorate with what they like. In my classroom I have very large bulletin boards that I change the paper on seasonally for added color to my room. Student work should be a large part of what is on the walls. Not only is is colorful and fun , parents LOVE to see their child's work on the walls.
Heart4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Kellsi

Kellsi

classroom colors
Old 11-04-2005, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm an 17 year old senior. I plan to have daycares after I get an associate degree in Early Childhood Education. My personal opinion and idea is to have a theme to my daycare. (exrecious moments, A day at the zoo, or A walk in the park) Those are just a few ideas I had, but I can't tell you the one I decided on. ; )
I hope this helps you. Besides I think it will draw more attention to your daycare and keep the children's attention.
Kellsi

Kellsi

classroom colors
Old 11-04-2005, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm an 17 year old senior. I plan to have daycares after I get an associate degree in Early Childhood Education. My personal opinion and idea is to have a theme to my daycare. (ex: precious moments, A day at the zoo, or A walk in the park) Those are just a few ideas I had, but I can't tell you the one I decided on. ; )
I hope this helps you. Besides I think it will draw more attention to your daycare and keep the children's attention.

jap

Color Blocks
Old 11-07-2005, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi, we just recently painted one white wall in our school and it looks great. We taped off squares and rectangles of various sizes, in a random pattern. We painted the shapes using primary colors. Now, when we have projects to display, we use sticky tack and hang them centered inside the shapes. They are instantly framed! It was quick, easy and really turned out nicely.

jap is offline   Reply With Quote
rj tx

rj tx

Old 02-03-2006, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi! The center I work at the the halls are white and the bottom of the walls in the class rooms are white. It look clean but the walls are spot cleaned everyday and the cleaning crew uses soft scrub on the weekends to keep the nice and clean. The top part of the walls have things painted on them; The infant room has children blowing bubbles and there is the ABC's done in bubble letters, twos, have outdoor pictures, threes have a train with the numbers on in that matched the rug in the room, fours have the four seasons, and the school agers have kids singing over the stang, and a kitchen in the ome center. he cabinets have blue and red squares around the edge in the kitchen and let me tell you it hard to keep a kitchen white.
Monisha

Monisha

Old 04-13-2006, 01:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

hi! momaredd
U cd. follow a thematic approach and work on the walls accordingly. For wxample a jungle book theme, or an alice in wonderland theme etc. Better still , involve the kids in working out a theme to make the whole process a learning experience.
myls

myls

colors
Old 07-03-2006, 01:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

hi!

well, i am a student of preschool teacher. In my studies its better for a preschool classroom to colorful its because we know kids can easily be attracted to colorful things. The can also learn more if their environment is colorful. And much better if teachers would do this with the chilldrens ideas ofcourse. Because children are more creative than us.
Mrs. MB

Mrs. MB

Old 10-24-2006, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have been a teacher and director/principal for 33 years. I own four preschool and day care centers and all have kindergarten as well. Each preschool room has a different color for each wall and the teachers also have bulletin boards to display work. We use a clothes line effect that goes across the cielings in the room in a star shape and all of the childrens work is hanging from the clothes line. The room does not look too busy. It looks beautiful and charming and the parents and children love it. Color draws the attention of children and parents. It looks cozy and it looks like the teacher enjoys her room too. White walls look like a prison. Our gym or gross motor room has an aquarium theme and aquatic murals. Our library room has a farm animal theme with a barn and bean bag chairs and real straw for the children to sit and look at books. The art room is very cheerful and every room has its own color.
InternECE

InternECE

Old 12-13-2007, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi, Im a Intern for my ECE class, and I know from experience with working at a daycare and interning at a pre school, that the bright, fun colors, are attractive to colors for kids that age, and being in the 12th grade, I know that alot of me and my friends enjoy being around brighter colors, i guess that you could say that brighter colors make our day go better, and being around kids all the time you can see a difference in how they behave when their in a room with nothing but white walls, compared to a room with color. But my teacher also tells us to be careful of what colors you choose, because always having bright colors in the room isnt good, because it sometimes causes the kids to get excited, so you could kind of section the room off in different colors. Thats just my advice to you.

mandy102104

Christian Daycare/Preschool
Old 04-09-2008, 11:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We painted our walls a light yet bright blue and put the christian fish on the walls in bright orange yellow green and purple. The kids love it. I actually think the blue is acutally soothing to them.
mandy102104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Miss Star

Miss Star

After-school teacher for Kindergarten/1st Gr
Old 05-05-2008, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We just painted the rooms and hallways at the Christian daycare where I work from bright colors of orange, red, green, yellow, blue, and purple with drawings on the wall to light yellow, celery green, and light blue in the rooms and cream color in the hallways. To me, it reminds me of a doctor's office and looks like any other daycare center now. The bright colors where one thing that really set it apart and seemed to stimulate the children. I think I would like the colors if they planned to put a border or something else up, but I understand that is not in the plan. To me, it doesn't stimulate me to want to be creative and I can't see how it will for the children. It will definitely be a wait-and-see moment. I wish they would have used at least a darker version of the colors they chose.
Ms. Crystal

Ms. Crystal

Children and Decorating: My Favorite Topics!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It's difficult to say without knowing any details of the rooms structure (window trim, chair rails, bulletin boards, etc.) I would suggest choosing two to three colors. Choose a main color (anything bright except red or orange). Then choose two accent colors. Let your existing furniture be a guide to save money. Maybe paint the walls a calm blue and paint the trim yellow. Use a space pattern for curtains and have an outter space mural painted on the ceiling. You could even hang plastic planets on fishing line. You could also paint the top of the walls blue (sky)and the bottom green (grass). Divide the walls with a chair rail painted in your third color choice (maybe the same color as your existing shelves and tables) or with a wall paper boarder. You could have a sky mural painted on the ceiling. You could even use real white picket fence and nail over the bottom green part of the wall. Add child-friendly outdoor details (window boxes on the inside of the windows for example). Basically make an "outdoors inside" theme. I could go on. The possibilities are endless! I must add that I think it's great you're letting your employees take control over the decorating process. What a great way to show you respect them, trust them and give them a sense of ownership!
Ms. Crystal

Ms. Crystal

Creative!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

What a great idea! LOVE IT!
kchriss

kchriss

woopsies for you
Old 07-15-2009, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

You should probably check your grammar; especially if you are going to be running a business... just a thought.

cath

Old 09-09-2010, 10:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thank you to pp's. Some great ideas here!!
cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Dr. Sandra

Dr. Sandra

Decor for Preschool
Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Take a look at two recently published books for ideas on designing inspiring spaces for young children:

Inspiring Spaces for Young Children
Rating Observation Scale for Inspiring Spaces (ROSIE)
Karenlovkids

Karenlovkids

Teacher
Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

You should also check-out keepsakecarpet.com the children would love to sit on their name at storytime . At my daycare every parent got one for their child the color of the mats light-up my classrooms.
Clock Out

Clock Out

There's always one!!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Ha! There is always a least one grammar nazi in the group. We are just adults letting our ideas fly off our finger tips. Save the grammar lessons for the kids. Clock out and....relax!