Help

ARCHIVE

Word Wall practice

>

K/1 Teacher

Word Wall practice
Old 11-03-2005, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have suggestions of whole class word wall practice games/ activities or independent ones? I'd like for everyone to be able to read those words and spell them. I only put up 3 new words a week.

Thanks!

K/1 Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ily

Old 11-03-2005, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do sometime of wordwall activity everyday here are a few I use.

1) Tune of If you're happy and you know it
If you're reading and you know it find the word
If you're reading and you know it find the word
If you're reading and you know it and you really want to show it
If you're reading and you know it find the word.

2)Hand out word cards to children (I give several children the same word)
tune Are you sleeping
Where's the word
where's the word
Here it is, here it is (children with that word sing and hold it up)
Can you say the word today
____ (children say the word)
Can you spell the word today
(children with the word spell it

3)I'm thinking of a word that starts with "c" and rhymes with man

4) Turn off lights give a child a flashlight they flash a word and the rest of the class reads it and spells it.

5) On white boards I say a word and the children wirte it down as fast as they can and hold up white board.

6) Quick wordo
Each child writes 5 words on whilte board or paper, children take turns calling out words from their list and anyone who has that word can check it off

7) choose a word or have children choose a word (you may want to say number of letters.
Then set a timer for a min and have children see how many times they can write the word in that time (or they could see how many words they could write in that time) then give them a graph and they can colour in that many spaces. Keep graph and try next time to beat the old time.

8) Hand out letter cards to each child, then say a word and the chidren with the letters in that word stand up and arrange themselves to make that word then the rest of the class reads it and spells it.
ily is offline   Reply With Quote
Bertie

Bertie

just one more game
Old 11-03-2005, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We hand out cards on string, or words on wide masking tape. That becomes their "name" for the reading period. You have to call them by that name, and they call each other by the new name as well. Have as many duplicates as you want, or put in some review words too.

You could also sing this to the tune of Wheels on the Bus.
"If your word is "all " then please stand up, please stand up. please stand up. If your word is "all" then please stand up, now sit back down". Do again with each of the new words.

We play "BUZZ" where the new words are on cards at the front of the room, I have a word in my mind and they come up one at a time to point to and say the word they think is mine. The one who guesses right gets the next turn, but has to whisper his word in my ear first (so he doesn't change his mind") while the rest of the class hums Buzzzzzzz (so they don't hear his whisper). Play til you're out of time.

istoleahalo

Riddles
Old 11-03-2005, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do riddles like:

I'm thinking of a word with ____ letters. It does not mean__________. It begins with a _______.

Each child has a piece of paper and writes a guess after each clue, changing and revising their word after each clue until they have all the clues and should have the correct word.
istoleahalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

word wall activities
Old 11-04-2005, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do tons of activities with the word wall. They are based on the 4blocks framework. You can get more information on several sites by doing a google search. The Month by Month Phonics 4Blocks book is a very good resource. Below are some of the things I do. I have pictures and more detailed explanations on my website: http://www.smithsroom.com/4.htm

We introduce 5 words a week. On Monday, I prepare a handwriting sheet with the 5 words in dotted font, then a place for them to write them on their own. I write the words first on the board, remarking about round circles and a line for a d, etc. We then all stand and "cheer" the words. At the beginning, it is snapping, clapping, and stomping while we spell the words. Later, we add other motions. This week we are waving our fingers down like falling leaves, doing a "raking" motion, then jumping in a "leaf pile"...the kids love it. After they have written their words, I pass out 5 index cards cut in half to each child and they write the words again, 1 per card. In the beginning we walk through ABC order together, later they put their cards in order by themselves, but must have me check them off before they write them down on the back of the sheet (in ABC order). Tuesday through Friday I alternate between activities like rhymes, word families, adding endings to the words on the word wall, mindreader, cross-checking, and more. It is a fun way to transfer the words on the wall to ways they can use them during reading and writing.
Let me know if you'd like any further explanations!

Melissa/1st/TN is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

I forgot Fridays...
Old 11-04-2005, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Testing is not part of 4blocks, but at our school, we test the kids on the 5 words each Friday. They are not visable in the room, and have to be spelled by memory. They are then added to the wall and become part of the permanent resource available to the kids. Later in the year, I start adding 5 review words to the test. These words are visible on the word wall, but the child must know how to find them! Next, we use transfer words for the review. So instead of using the word wall words day, look, in, end, and ---I would have them "use" those words to spell=="spray, took, thin, trend, brand. You get a feel for who is really able to "use" the board. During the 4th quarter I also add a sentence to the bottom of the test. There are some nice forms done up on the four blocks.net "4blocks goodies" page. I've redone it to suit my needs. Good luck

Nina306

To Melissa
Old 11-15-2005, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow, I am so impressed by your website! I'm a second year teacher, and still have difficulty with just basic routines and schedules. How often do you do grouping/ working with small groups and centers? How much do you do whole group? You just really seem like you have it together, and I'm interested in how your day runs.
Nina306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

my day
Old 11-26-2005, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

With 4blocks, there is not much center time or working with groups. Most lessons are whole group. During SSR and Writing workshop blocks, I conference one on one or small groups. During reading, the "during" part of reading is structured to meet the needs of the kids that need more help (so I might read with 2 or 3, most read in partner groups, and some are independently reading the same text--then we come back together and talk about it). I have not been able to get my centers running smoothly this year. I am only able to get in one 15 minute time at the end of the day. This is also when I can pull a few kids together that need a little extra help. I have decided to start contracts for the centers, and have the kids check them off as they rotate through on their own. They can't repeat centers until they have completed the contract sheet. Those that need extra help will not be able to go to the centers as often.
When I did put them into groups for centers, it was not ability based. I like to be able to pull up who I need each day, which could be different each day! That is why I am moving to the contracts. Clear as mud??