ARCHIVE

Phonics/Word Attack Skills

>

LaVerne

Phonics/Word Attack Skills
Old 08-12-2006, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I am hoping you can help me. I will be teaching low 3rd and 4th grade readers who will need one to one instruction with word attack skills and other phonic awareness activities.

Does anyone have any games or activities that you have found to be successful? Websites for practice? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

THANKS!!

LaVerne

LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

naneb

word attack skills
Old 08-12-2006, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use the Sam books and also Rewards intermediate for multi-syllable words. The Sam books are great!! They are completely decodable and provide lots and lots of practice on reading code in context. Kids love them. The hardest part is learning to teach the sounds and then don't help!! Kids are used to people telling them the word when they don't know it so they haven't developed skills at saying the sounds and blending them into words. I introduce the sounds, model blending the sounds to make a word, have students practice blending the sounds and then read the words. The error correction technique os not to tell them the word but point with your pencil to the sound they missed. have them say the sound and then blend the word. Have the re-read the sentence and then go on. Make sure you have 100% fluency on every story before going to the next one. The goal is fluent readers not just getting through the book. The more re-reading of the books the better. have them read to each other. You can also get AR tests for the books if your school does AR. here is the link for the books.http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/3RsPlusRead.html

Rewards is sold by Sopris West.
Nan
naneb is offline   Reply With Quote

momallen

I LOVE This site...
Old 08-12-2006, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

http://teachers.santee.k12.ca.us/carl/ I go here for all LANG.art materials!!! It has a LOT of phonic based activities - easy to put together!

Traci
momallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

Valuable Resource
Old 08-12-2006, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi, LaVerne,

During my master's, the only resource book that I actually have used beyond the grad class and in the classroom is Words Their Way. I do not know if you're already familiar with it, but it helps you guage what level your readers are at phonetically and also then provides a plethora of games/strategies/activities (color coded for each stage in the book) for each level. I think this book is a must have for the elem. teacher and will help you lots. Maybe a Title I teacher or someone in your building may already have it for you to borrow? It also has great spelling inventories, word lists, etc. in it.
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

momof2cuties

Words Their Way
Old 08-12-2006, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just bought Words Their Way! I ordered it from Wal-Mart.com and only paid 97 cents shipping! I should get it in the next couple of days! I can't wait to read it.

momof2cuties is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

Surprising Find
Old 08-13-2006, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Walmart amazes me sometimes! What an odd book for them to carry, but what a great deal for you! You'll have to tell me what you think, momof2cuties!
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Check out www.starfall.com
Old 08-13-2006, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

They have stories that the child can read with the computer. If they point and click on the work, the computer helps them sound the work out. They also have games that help with phonics skills. Just an observation, but when I use to teach at-risk children, I found that 100% of the kids I worked with did NOT know their vowel sounds. We focused on vowel sounds and dolch list words, and their reading improved remarkably.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

word wall
Old 08-13-2006, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You can use some of the high frequency words but let the kids come up with words that are used- to list on the wall like the name of the school- hobbies- events- student names. Let it be something that is personalized. Then they will learn abc order and dictionary skills
Are you familiar with Project REAd? It is a great program that is teacher and student friendly where the concepts can be utilized with other teaching materails and it is goes from k-adult. IT doesn't matter how old you are if you don't know the sound etc. It is in the presentation that makes the difference.
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote