SRA Reading Laboratory Kits - ProTeacher Community

benteach

SRA Reading Laboratory Kits
Old 08-12-2006, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am interested in finding, borrowing, or buying a used SRA Reading Laboratory Kit. I can not afford to pay the SRA site price of hundreds of dollars.
I guess it would be 1B as that kit goes from Grades 1 -3.5. I also am interested in finding out how I could get a sample - for my classroom to use during guided reading time as a center. I also am interested in finding out about a Scholastic Reading Kit which I guess is similar in set-up as SRA only by Scholastic!
Any ideas or direction to go in would be great!
Thanks!

LizB

Old 08-12-2006, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can find some on ebay but even those are very expensive. I would also love to have a kit for my room but haven't bitten the bullet to spend the money yet.

iPeach

Keep looking
Old 08-12-2006, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I look it up every once in awhile on e-Bay. I keep hoping I find what I want. One time the bidding got way to high for my taste and another time it wasn't the right level. I can in no way afford to pay for a new one off the site. I'm not what you'd call an "older teacher" but we have LOTS of new newer teachers and no one knows what it is let alone has one!

1gr81ntheus

The SRA Kit
Old 08-12-2006, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are you looking for the one with all the colored cards? What do you know about the effectiveness of the SRA kits? What is the official site of the kits? I couldn't find it.

3rdgradeteach

hooked on phonics
Old 08-12-2006, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

has a sra reading power kit that uses the same type of power reading cards that normal sra reading laboratory kits do. It is only the kits but they go from extremely easy to very difficult. They include the comprehension and vocabulary. These kits are only the power builder cards not the rate builders, or any of the extras. If you can get kit with all four tapes it will read with your student the first 34 cards. It begins by reading and discussing how to do the cards then only reads the story. There are 100 cards and only the first 34 are read. I could not afford to by a sra reading laboratory for my classroom and a friend gave me one of these hooked on phonics power reading kits so I picked up a few more on ebay for about $5-$10 plus shipping. They are not perfect but they really assist my students comprehension.

benteach

SRA Power kits
Old 08-12-2006, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I checked at my library - there is a kit checked in - hopefully tomorrow
I can go and check it out.
I also have contacted my school's reading coach as well as the reading coach at my previous school. I am hopeful some thing will come together within the next few weeks.
feemeister

feemeister

Sra Very Effective
Old 08-26-2006, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've used SRA reading labs in my class for 30 years and they are the best thing I've found for steadily increasing reading levels. I didn't want to spend the money (on ebay) either, but when I realized they cost less than a semester's worth of college texts (which I was buying for my son at the time) and I would get years of use out of them, I decided to indulge. I have never been sorry. I work with Severely Emotionally Disturbed, and EMR students and have had whole classes increase levels of 2 years in only one year. (one class (SED) did 2 cards a day and increased an average of 2 years in one semester) To get this result, students had to read the passages out loud, do all the work and correct their mistakes. Good Luck

Janet Veale

Janet Veale

ESL Teacher
Old 03-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just Googled "SRA Reading Kits" and the first item listed was "SRA Reading Kits for Less." They have them for $49.00! Go there and see itf what they have is what you need? J. Veale, ESL Teacher 3/13/08

saav

saav

Old 07-23-2009, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hooked on phonics sell the sra seperate from there usual learning kit for about $50 or less.I goes from K-12. I have one myself and I love it. U will need to order extra student record books.

julie xxxx

julie xxxx

teacher
Old 11-28-2009, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When used properly, the SRA Kits are authentic reading assessment tools. Because the colorful reading cards are so engaging, teachers tend to pull them out of the box at random and give them to students just to keep them busy. This is NOT the way these kits were intended to be used. I know the author personally, have used the kits for years in reading lab settings and conventional classroom settings and can attest to their reliability, authenticity for reading weakness assessments and just pure enjoyment. They're worth every penny. . .just make sure the District doesn't claim the kit is theirs after you purchase it. If you do purchase one, new or used, label it and keep the receipt as proof of ownership. Good luck.

Jan Guest

Jan Guest

A successful SRA reader.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was taught in Grade 5-7 using the SRA system properly. Started out with the timed, shorter stories, did the comprehension after each card. Progressed through all levels the teacher gave us - which was several large boxes. They are the best; I was tested at one time at over 400 words per minute reading speed and taught myself the 'Evelyn Wood Speed Reading' course after this. I found them great for spelling, increased reading speed and comprehension. I wish my children had the opportunity to use them in school. I feel using them has led me to be a voracious reader and compulsive speller; I hate seeing spelling errors (no, not keying/typing errors) in print and I think using SRA helped my spelling as well. I was a top speller in school and won awards for spelling.

ulv1997

ulv1997

Sra
Old 06-12-2010, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The official website is called, SRA-McGraw-Hill. I have some old ones and I faithfully use them. Great tool and my students love the imediate feedback.

sblack47

Old 06-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I bought 2 incomplete sets on ebay and combined them.
not a teache

not a teache

Attest
Old 11-27-2010, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

SRA for me is the single most important educational tool that I am so thankful for. We had it in elementary school for about 2 to 3 years as one of the activities in our Reading class. We had the SRA activity only once a week. This was way back in the early 1970s and I acknowledge and attest by its effectiveness. For me and a lot of my classmates, it got us hooked reading for the long term.

Zainey

Zainey

Gifteach
Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My teachers had SRA reading kits when I was in elementary school. I loved to keep track of how many cards that I could successfully complete during the year. My teachers would allow us to work on them two times a week, and we could complete as many cards as we wished during the alloted time for reading. Now I have two reading kits, and I know that my gifted students benefit from using the reading cards. The kits are great for my students, because the reading cards accomodate a broad range of reading levels. I purchased the kits back in 1999-2000 before they became really expensive! I've never regretted the investment!

CTinTX

CTinTX

Although it sounds as if...
Old 07-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

you're happy with the two sets you have, please let me know if you're ever in the market to sell them! I am a 6th grade Language Arts teacher and have had success with SRA Labs at my previous school; however, my current district does not believe in SRA. Thus, I am on-my-own in terms of locating and purchasing a kit.

cfn10

cfn10

Old 09-17-2011, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Also interested in buying SRA reading labs in Pennsylvania. Will arrange shipping (media mail preferred), but will defer to seller preference.

pooh_girl

hooked on phonics kit
Old 09-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It has many of the same SRA cards. I bought one off ebay and another off craig's list. Both were much much cheaper.

I totally agree with you that this is a great resource!