Help

ARCHIVE

Thanksgiving Feast

>

Mrs. R

Thanksgiving Feast
Old 11-03-2005, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are planning a Thanksgiving feast this year for our three first grade classes. This is our first time doing it. We thought it would be a great addition to our community unit. It's not necessarily going to pilgrim-themed or anything. We're viewing it more as a community meal. I was wondering if anyone who has done this in the past could give me some tips/suggestions. How did you organize the food? Did you have any special toasts or readings? Are there any pitfalls we need to watch out for? Thank you!

Mrs. R is offline   Reply With Quote

TRINIGIRL78

Simple feast
Old 11-03-2005, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Why don't you try a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. I am a first grade teacher as well and we are doing a simple Charlie Brown thanksgiving. While we are doing this we will be watching the movie to go along with it. All you need for it is: toast, pretzel sticks, jelly beans, popcorn and juice. I think that's all we've had in the past. Good luck with your feast.

Shelley
TRINIGIRL78 is offline   Reply With Quote

CR

simple idea
Old 11-03-2005, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In the past I have done a "Mug and Muffin" feast. We have cider, coffee, tea, and a variety of breads and muffins. (Can be made by the class if you have time, access to kitchen...) We invite "important people" to join us for a quick morning treat. Often parents can stop in for a quick cup of coffee, and we invite our bus drivers,our janitor(s), and our school principal/superintendent. It's a quick and simple way to say thanks for all they do for us! It's very informal--the kids walk around and offer food to the invited guests. (no speeches)
CR is offline   Reply With Quote

Maxie

Old 11-03-2005, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have done this for several years now. The parents bring in all the food, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing and all the trimmings including desserts. They set up, serve, and clean up. I really do nothing except plan on who brings what. It is wonderful and everyone had a great time. The kids dress up like pilgrims and indians and really eat a ton. I haven't ran up against any pitfalls since I have been doing it.

Oh to organize the food I sent a letter home to the parents with a list of what I wanted. They wrote back and told me and if more than one person signed up for something I called them and asked them to bring in something else. It has always worked our perfectly. They bring the food in hot and ready to serve.

If you have any other questions please ask or e-mail me.
Maxie is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4fun

we do this every year
Old 11-04-2005, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have two salty things (pretzles, chips, doritos), a vege platter (big hit with a dixie cup with ranch in it for dipping), a fruit platter, some sweet of some sort and I ask for something pumpkin for the season.

I have the homeroom mom help plan it, I put a note in my Friday Folder on my newsletter and ask for donations, I then give the list of those that volunteered to the home room mom and she makes the call and remind them they are making food for 28 hungry firstgraders and younger siblings if they come. I usually have two moms or dads per above food item. And dont forget napkins, plates and I always ask for table cloth (dollar store) for the table.

I call the kids over by rows to eat and then have parents there to "help" and remind to make smart choices about what and how much they choose. Then I allow siblings to eat and any parents that want to nibble. I always give the kids a seasonal word search to have at their seat to occupy them for the ones that are "done" quickly.

I always have the kids memorize and recite a poem I made up about being thankful. I will look it up and email it to you if you would like

Have fun and most importantly remember to relax and dont let the spills or forgotten food upset you , just watch the kids and remember to be thankful for them.

teach4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Taught-M

Taught-M

Pilgrim and Native American Outfits
Old 11-05-2005, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Do you just have the student make pilgrim hats and Native American headresses for the dress up?
T-M

cdg-1st grade

Try it with 50 ECE kids!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Believe it or not, one school I was at did a Thanksgiving Feast with their ECE program students (3, 4 & 5 yr olds). There was a feast in the morning for the AM program & a feast in the afternoon for the PM program; close to 100 students in all! Each class "cooked" something & brought it to the cafeteria where the classes assembled. Parents did not participate. The menu usually consisted of corn muffins, bread or corn meals pancakes, jello, fruit salad, and cut up turkey hot dogs (cooked in a crock pot). The students participated in preparations, cutting up the hotdogs & fruit with plastic knives or stirring the corn meal or jello. Some of the teaches would have the children remove dried corn kernels from the cob as a fine motor exercise and mashing the kernels to make corn meal, but the corn muffins, etc were always made from commercially bought corn meal products, but the kids thought they "made" it! The kids would also make a pilgrim hat (boys or girls) or an indian feather headband (boys or girls) to wear to the feast. It was a rough day for the teachers and teacher aides, but they kids enjoyed themselves!
cdg-1st grade is offline   Reply With Quote

cdg-1st grade

Thanksgiving "Readings"
Old 11-06-2005, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Just went through my books after making my post & thought of these. Both books are from Scholastic!
Giving Thanks: A Native American Good Morning Message (written by Chief Jake Swamp). The words in the book are actually based upon an ancient message of peace & appreciation of Mother Earth & all of her inhabitants called the Thanksgiving Address from the Six Nations. This might be appropriate for a type of "grace" before the meal.

The Most Thankful Thing (written by Lisa McCourt). A mother & young daughter look through an old photo album & the daughter is trying to guess what the mom is most thankful for. It doesn't tie into any kind of religious belief or reference, in case that's an issue in some schools. This book would be suitable intro for having the students brainstorm what they are thankful or.

I am sure there are plenty more books out there with a "being thankful" theme.
cdg-1st grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Melonjar

Melonjar

Thanksgiving Food
Old 11-06-2005, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We did this last year for the first time. We made a list of foods that the pilgrims ate the first Thanksgiving...found items in books we read (turkey, lobster, oysters, corn etc.) Parents marked items they were willing to donate. We actually had everything on our huge list donated! We were surprised. On the list were also paper plates, forks etc. drinks and such. If we do it again this year we'll be sure to somehow divide the list by room. Last year we has so much food that it was overwhelming. The kids' plates were overwhelming and much of the food was wasted. We'll maybe say meats for one room, side dishes for another and dessert for another. We'll also cut down the list a bit so that we don't have 20 items on each plate.

Other than that it was a blast. Our kids did dress up as Pilgrims and Native Americans. We learned some facts and stated those for parents who came and sang a couple of songs too.

Good luck!
jamey

jamey

Thanksgiving Feast
Old 11-12-2005, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We make a friendship salad and share it. I send a list of items needed to the parents. We mix a can of crushed pineapple, small cans of mandarin oranges, bananas, a few apples, seedless grapes and minature marshmallows.(other items can be added) Each child takes a turn adding an item to the mixture and stirring the salad. P.S. The juice of the pineapple helps to prevent the bananas from turning dark.

k jones

k jones

thanksgiving letter
Old 11-14-2005, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Could you e-mail me a copy of the letter you send home asking for the foog? KJones@ccboe.com

jljones77

Add a nutritious piece!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

As a way to cross the curriculum I've combined our nutrition unit with a "Thanksgiving feast." We make vegetable beef soup as a class. I send home a note with each kid asking his/her family to donate ingredients, as well as fruit, rolls, cheese, etc. Then we combine the ingredients in a crock pot in the morning, followed by writing activities on nutrition and/or thanksgiving. WE can discuss the food groups while preparing our healthy meal, then eat in the classroom later in the day! The kids usually love their homemade meal!
jljones77 is offline   Reply With Quote
jad

jad

The Most Thankful Thing
Old 11-18-2006, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have also used The Most Thankful Thing. We make Thankful Garland to hangover our door. Each child cuts out a leaf of a different color, and writes about one thing theya re thankful for, they did not buy.
Jess28

Jess28

Thanksgiving feast
Old 10-24-2007, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am going to have a thanksgiving feast in my classroom this year. I was wondering if you could send me the letter you sent to parents asking them to donate food for the feast?? It would be a big help.

Thanks.
Laura Harrell

Laura Harrell

Thanksgiving Letter
Old 11-03-2007, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
Thursday, November 15th, 10:15 until 11:30 a.m.

On Thursday, November 15th, from 10:15 to 11:30, we will be having our Thanksgiving Feast. Our class will be making butter, cranberry sauce, and Shake and Bake chicken for our Thanksgiving Feast that day. We will be collecting $2.00 from each child to help with the cost of foods we will be preparing at school.

Since we will be eating in the classroom and not the lunchroom, there is no need to bring a lunch on that day. We will need 4 parent helpers to help from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon on this day.

All parents are invited to our special Thanksgiving Feast. Let us know if you can come.

Below is a list of items needed to make our feast complete. If you wish to participate, please check off which items you would like to donate.

Your Name____________________ Child’s Name _________________

Telephone____________________ Will Help in Classroom YES NO

Will join for dinner YES NO How many will attend__________

Niblet ears of corn ** Niblet ears of corn **
2 packs of dinner rolls ** 2 packs of dinner rolls **
Green beans ** 2 apple pies
2 pumpkin pies 2 sweet potato pies
Celery sticks Carrot sticks
Dip for vegetables 2 large tubs of Cool Whip
2 Gal. Apple juice 2 Gal. Apple Juice
2 Gal. Apple juice 2 Large Jar Applesauce
6 Thanksgiving tablecloths 40 forks/knives/spoons
40 paper plates/napkins/dessert plates

Kim Davis, XXXXXX, will coordinate all of the items and send you confirmation of the items you can send in.

** Hot dishes need to be in our classroom still hot by 10:00 a.m. as we do not have a microwave to reheat things. Paper products and non-perishables should be in the classroom by Tuesday the 13th.
hollylynn

hollylynn

1st grade teacher
Old 11-15-2008, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I really need a pattern for the pilgrims hats. Suggestions?