Upgrading your cell phone through Walmart.com - ProTeacher Community

MrsA_2009

Upgrading your cell phone through Walmart.com
Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wanting to renew my contract for 2 years with AT&T and get the discounted phone. I can get the phone I want cheaper at Walmart.com than from AT&T. Has anyone ever renewed their contract through walmart.com with AT&T before?

I am confused on what will happen... I went to the section that says "Upgrade Your Phone" and selected the phone I want. When I get to the next step it is asking me to choose a service plan. Do I just choose the plan that I currently have (which is what I want to continue using)? The way it is set up makes me think they are signing me up for a NEW plan. Maybe I'm just being a worry-wart, but I'm afraid that if I do this I will get double charged or something.

I was going to continue with the process but it asks for my credit card number BEFORE I can get to the section that asks information about my AT&T account.

TIA!

jch

Upgrading phone
Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure as I've never done it before, but have you tried the AT&T website? Perhaps that be easier to navigate yet still get you the price you are looking for?

I'm a Verizon customer myself, but found their website helpful and I didn't feel hesitant to call and ask questions while on the site.

DebS2

Instead of Extending My Contract
Old 06-15-2009, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I usually just buy the phone I want as a go phone or on Ebay and switch out the sim card. That way I'm not obligated for another 2 years by contract.

Lottalove

Check the fine print
Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I asked the folks at the ATT store and they gave me a long list of reasons when I asked why everyone didn't just go this route...since Walmart was so much cheaper.

I don't remember them all but it was basically summed up as although the Walmart has a franchise of ATT, as a franchise, it had different rules and terms of use issues. I don't know how valid some of those reasons were but I decided to stay with ATT at the regular store.

Check the fine print carefully. There are some differences. Those differences may or may not matter to you.
Bryan

Bryan

Walmart Vs. AT&T
Old 07-12-2009, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The accual AT&T store will tell people the "reasons" why you should never start a line or upgrade at walmart, but really its just to drawl more money in for themselves. I worked for the Connection center at a Walmart store; The contract phones where the exact phones that you would get at any AT&T store. AT&T employees tell their customers that the phones at Walmart are refurbished, but this is not true. Walmart is indeed a subcontractor for AT&T. But, if you have noticed, the phones at Walmart are soo much cheaper. I would advise getting an upgrade there: thats if you like the phones that they offer! God Bless!

asoi

asoi

Old 09-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I actually just called AT&T wireless about my phone upgrade and the lady I spoke to told me that if I wasn't planning on upgrading to an iPhone, I should go to Walmart b/c the phones are significantly cheaper by $50-100. If at&t's own employee told me to go that route, I am guessing its safe. Also if you do any transaction at an at&t store, they will charge more than doing it yourself online b/c their employees are paid by commission.