Interactive Math Notebook - ProTeacher Community

NeeCee

Interactive Math Notebook
Old 06-17-2009, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have spent the day creating this and if you are in the mood to create one for Heat, Light, and Sound then you are my new best friend. BTW, I emailed Mr. Saunders about his wonderful site and he sent me back the nicest response. He not only gave me permission to download whatever I needed to get started, but he said he is thrilled that PTers have discovered his site and that it is helpful to us!

I have adapted his Social Studies table of contents to make it work in Math for my 6th graders. I did not include a space for the BLANK sheet he uses for Unit titles and I have not yet decided whether to include a quiz/test section yet. I am gathering ideas for which Foldables to use for illustrating concepts.

Here's a hint for creating your sample ISN this summer. I am using the many of the Getting Started and Differentiated Instruction examples in my Houghton Mifflin teacher manuals. They are good, straightforward examples and already include ESL and gifted adaptations. Also, I think the open-ended Test Prep questions are a great resource to have student solve and explain in their notebook. No need to reinvent the wheel!

I am also including two links for great forms to use in the ISN. The first is math forms and the second is graphic organizers in English and Spanish.

http://www.sw-georgia.resa.k12.ga.us...izers_4_8.html

http://www.region15.org/curriculum/graphicorg.html

FYI, everyone has permission to repost my Table of Contents document if someone on the boards requests it. I got dinged by the copyright police in a PM last week for reposting a form that I got from another PTer. But, I created this to be shared by everyone, so I hope you can use it!

Enjoy!
NeeCee

Attached Files
File Type: doc Sixth Grade Interactive Notebook Table of Contents.doc (111.5 KB, 753 views)

Last edited by NeeCee; 06-17-2009 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: needed to reformat the form
NeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote

Jazzbo

Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

NeeCee,
Thanks! I'm newer to interactive notebooks, but I appreciate your willingness to share.
Will your notebook feature notes from class on one side and their interpretation or learning on the other? Will they do homework on one side or the other?
I like that you included multiplication facts. I had thought about making part of my notebook where they record their scores.
Our district just adopted Connected Math and I was changing my notebooks anyways and starting interactive notebooks in Social Studies, so this is exciting.
No help here on Light and Sound - my partner teacher is teaching science next year!
Jazzbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Combow

Thanks for sharing...
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

... your hard work. Could you also share Mr. Saunders' website? somehow I missed it and I would love to see it. Thanks.
Combow is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherDude24

Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I plan on doing Math ISN's next year. As far as graphic organizers go, I plan on trying to incorporate them. However, foldables are OUT of the question! I have way too much to teach during a lesson, and I have made foldables for science. It takes a good 10-15 minutes to just fold a piece of paper (in 3rds? Forget about it!) I don't have this time in math. I plan on having students put notes on one side and a processing assignment on the other. I was looking through our new text (prentice Hall) and there a good "writing" questions that I may have my kids do for processing.
TeacherDude24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Math Momma

Interactive Notebooks
Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This looks great, but what is an interactive notebook. I went to the History Alive website, but couldn't find any information on the notebooks just saw that you use them with the program. How is the notebook used and set up. The table of contents NeeCee made looks great. I would love to adapt it for 5th grade in Florida, but I am not sure how the notebooks are used. If anyone could explain the basics I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Math Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

NeeCee

Combow and MathMomma
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There is a thread just below about interactive notebooks. It also contains the link to Mr. Saunders' website. It's the one entitled, Hey WIG--interactive notebooks. It has links to other sites with info and examples of notebooks. Also, ancientciv on PT is a true interactive notebook expert. Just search for posts under her name and you'll find lots of good advice or you could PM her. She's on the boards a lot in the summer, so try giving her a shout out on this board.

TeacherDude24, thanks for the heads up about the amount of prep time using foldables. I was thinking of having the kids make the foldables as part of their morning warm ups or while I am reading to them after lunch. I still want to use them a few times in the notebook. Maybe I am just a glutton for punishment.

After printing this off last night and finding my teacher manual and district pacing guide there are some changes to be made such as inserting unit titles and the names/types of student activities for the right side, but I think this doc could still serve as a good template to personalize for your own use. It is still a work in progress. Maybe I got a little too excited and posted it too soon, but I woke up with it on my mind and had to get started on it. Thanks, for the feedback!

BTW, I am still looking for someone who does this with science.
NeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherDude24

Old 06-18-2009, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I went to an AVID training specifically for science teachers, where we put together an interactive science notebook. My team teacher also used IN's for science this year. What do you need help with?
TeacherDude24 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsf70

Old 06-19-2009, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I, too, want to incorporate interactive notebooks into my math classes next year. I used them in social studies and think they are wonderful! Thanks for posting your table of contents. It gives me some ideas for setting up my own for next year.
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

MamaBeavs

Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have been thinking about starting the interactive math notebook this year, but there has not been very much information on how to use it in math. I have always wanted to have the students keep notebooks, but it has just never materialized effectively.

NeeCee, thank you so much for sharing! By seeing your table of contents, I believe that I will be able to set up a notebook for algebra.

Thanks again!!
Mama Beavs
MamaBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote