Help

ARCHIVE

literacy centers rotation ideas or pictures

>

mendoza08

literacy centers rotation ideas or pictures
Old 06-18-2009, 02:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really want a good management system for my literacy centers in the morning and free centers in the afternoon. Any ideas? Do you group them at random ? Just need some visuals or ideas how you set this up! Thanks!

mendoza08 is offline   Reply With Quote

mteachers

Full Day
Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I taught full day (I now teach 1/2), I did a rotation for literacy centers in the morning. The kids did 3 literacy stations that were based off of Debbie Diller's book Literacy Workstations: Making Centers Work. It's an awesome resource for kindergarten, and there are great examples of visual center schedules in that book. In the afternoon, I had 7 tubs (b/c I had 7 groups) that were math, art, and science based. They each had an activity. The groups did one tub per day, and when they finished, they got to go to a "Want-To" center, like housekeeping, blocks, playdoh, sensory table, puzzles/games, and so forth. Hope this helps!
mteachers is offline   Reply With Quote

linderbug

Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I put my kids in pairs. They got new buddies every 9 weeks. It worked best for me to do it by personality...some kids just don't work well together! I would pull my guided reading groups as I needed them.

Here's what I ended up doing by January and it worked really well. I bought different colored baskets (red, blue, green, and yellow)...2 of each color...and I put the materials for the stations in the baskets. Some baskets had some different games or options and they were loosely based around the stations Debbie Diller describes in her book...I switched out stations and materials as needed or as I wanted to focus on something specific.

On our stations board, I had the pairs written up on cut-outs and squares of construction paper for each color. Two pairs of students were next to one color square each day and I just moved the construction paper squares down each day to a new pair of students. It worked really well because I could say, "Jane and Bonnie, go pick out a green station!" and they would go get a green tub. When it was time to rotate, they stayed in the same color station but swapped out tubs with the other pair who had the same color...so the green tubs switched, the red tubs switched, etc.

I did free centers differently...I let them pick their center and had a rule of four to a center. I tried to let different children pick first every day-sometimes I would do it by their classroom number; other days I did it by behavior; sometimes I did it by where they were sitting...I switched it up so everyone at some point had a turn to pick first. At the beginning of the year I pulled out the centers I wanted them to do and put them in the space I wanted them, limiting the total number of centers to five...by the end they could pull out any center they wanted since they knew where the stuff belonged and where that center went in the classroom.

I liked having a very structured approach towards literacy stations and rotating versus the more laidback free centers...it gave them a chance to do things differently for each activity.
linderbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Eli O.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had students grouped in groups of 3-4 and they would visit a station once a week--so each day I just moved their group down (sorry I don't have a picture, but the centers were posted on a board with their group next to it). Next year I'm going to do "literacy centers" and "learning centers." For literacy centers I think i will let them pick eventually (not in the beginning), and learning centers will be the same procedure. For literacy centers I will not really change them (they will be listening, buddy read, pocket chart, etc) so I am thinking of videotaping the students at the beg. of the year using the center and how to put materials away. I let them have free time at the end of the day if all their work is finished, and they can play blocks, sand, kitchen, --my rule is also 4 in an area.
Eli O. is offline   Reply With Quote