Help

ARCHIVE

Michigan Social Studies Third Grade

>

Inspire

Michigan Social Studies Third Grade
Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any Michigan teachers have any ideas, suggestions, websites, activities they did and want to share with teaching Michigan History in third grade?

We are starting next year with the Meet Michigan book by Hillsdale, which is aligned to our GLCES, but would like anything else that would add or enhance it.

Thank you!

Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

NCMI

Old 06-19-2009, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about the M is for Michigan book? Also, check with museums for information. Did the GLCES change? I thought that was taught in 4th grade.
Good luck!
NCMI is offline   Reply With Quote

kujo

Hi Inspire
Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

got snow still? Yes 3rd is teaching Michigan and 4th has been changed to Regions for next year. I will keep in touch when I work up my 2nd and 3rd Soc. Studies planning. Right now I am leveling all my books.
kujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Inspire

No snow................
Old 06-19-2009, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Did you get a chance to gather your Daily 5 info. yet? I think I sent you my e-mail address. If not it's sgannon333@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Inspire

GLCE's changed.....
Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, they changed last year. Third has Michigan History and 4th grade has regions. They also changed all our Science as well.

I do have the M is for Michigan book. Thanks for the reminder.

They do have a planning guide on the Michigan.gov website where they list the GLCES's.

http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,1607,7...8518--,00.html

Last edited by Inspire; 06-19-2009 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: added website

Jade

Michigan History
Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We went with the Hillsdale books last year. The good news is that I really loved the book. The bad news was that they were delayed in publishing them and we didn't get the books until almost Christmas, so we only covered half the book. The teacher's edition was on a CD rom which came later and which I hated. They have promised print versions this summer and are supposed to include a worksheet and a role-play activity for each lesson. The assessment pack came sometime in February, I think, and the audio CDs came in on the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL--after the kids had left, even! Oh, well--I'll certainly utilize them next year.

My Michigan websites are all listed on my laptop, which is at the computer doctor for a few days (probably the subject of a VENT soon--I had a nasty virus), but I'll try to remember some here.

If you go to the Michigan History Magazine site, click on "The Mitten", which is a 4-pg. publication for kids, kind of like a specialized Weekly Reader. They have many, many topics and they are even already correlated to the new GLCEs, and they can be printed for use in the classroom or "real" copies can be ordered. Most even have teacher's guides.

Search around on the Michigan.gov/kids site for some neat things, especially on the state symbols.

The picture books out on Michigan are really nice, especially the ones about the legends (the textbook gets to the legends in either chapter 2 or 3). I got several picture books through Hillsdale, although most are also available on Amazon or similar sites. An author/illustrator presented at our school last fall. The kids really enjoyed the presentation, so I purchased his book and CD: A Curious Glimpse of Michigan. M is for Michigan is a must and a good way to introduce the book. There is a picture book on the Mackinac Bridge, authored by Gloria Whelan, I think. She also has some chapter books that are good.

I'm sure there are other things I can't pull out of my brain right now. I enjoyed teaching Michigan history because the kids were so into it. I remember the day that time was running short and I let the kids vote--would we do science or Michigan history that day? Michigan was the unanimous choice--amazing! I look forward to teaching the whole book this coming year!

Last edited by Jade; 06-19-2009 at 08:41 PM..
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Michigan social studies
Old 06-20-2009, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are supposed to make the switch like everyone else but there has been some talk that it our district might try and put it off for a year. I'm not sure they can do that though. I always teach the new science and my partner teaches the social studies. We haven't decided what we will do for this year though if it moves down.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

A.J.Teach

Old 06-20-2009, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are getting the Meet Michigan book this year and I am so excited to have a book that is at the appropriate reading level. We were doing regions with a fourth grade book, that was really way too hard for fourth graders much less third graders. I think this will make so much more sense for third graders to learn about their state.
A.J.Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachpic

third grade social studies
Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our district is waiting until next year to make the change--probably because we are implementing a new math series. The change to teaching about Michigan can't come soon enough as we are all very tired of teaching about communites! I will make note of all of your good suggestions.
teachpic is offline   Reply With Quote